Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 86: Eighty-Six

Awesome user with default custom title KrayZ33's Avatar

86: Eighty-Six

"The Republic of San Magnolia has been at war with the Empire of Giad for nine years. Though it initially suffered devastating losses to the Empire's autonomous mechanized Legions, The Republic has since developed its own autonomous units, called Juggernauts, which are directed remotely by a Handler. While on the surface the public believes the war is being fought between machines, in reality, the Juggernauts are being piloted by humans and all of them are 86s, the designation given to the Colorata minority of San Magnolia who originally had equal rights as the dominant Alba race but were persecuted and scapegoated by the racist-led Alba government to the point the Colorata were considered not human, not allowed to have names and forced to live in internment camps in the 86th Ward while being forced to fight in the Republic's war with the Empire to get betterment.

Major Vladilena "Lena" Mirizé is an Alba noble and military officer in the Republic's Military who is assigned as a Handler of the Spearhead squadron of the eastern front, an elite unit composed entirely of 86s veterans who have earned names. Led by their squad leader, Shinei "The Undertaker" Nōzen, Spearhead squadron are infamous due to many Handlers who have commanded the squad having gone insane and some even committed suicide. As Lena gets to know Shinei and the rest of the Spearhead squadron, she becomes sympathetic to his people's plight and tries to help them. At same time, Lena and Shinei learn a dark secret: the Republic and the war with the Empire is not what it seems. "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/86_(novel_series)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

That first episode was much better than I initially thought this show would be.
    Only one gripe so far because it doesn't really made much sense to me from what little we got to know about the whole thing in 1 episode:

Why were they fighting without a Handler (the combat scene right before the end). I didn't expect them to be able to fight autonomously like that, without anyone watching/ordering them around.

Other stuff:

The art is cool, the female lead is pretty hot (for those that care), the mechas look well made.
    It's interesting to see that the District 86 humans are seeing the 1-85 disctrict "humans" as "pigs" too.
    I kinda wonder how exactly it came to be that everyone has the same hair and eye color.
    It'd be weird for them to be clones... and not the other way around. But I guess that's the whole deal about this show, isn't it. The synopsis mentions the "Alba race" (which means "white race" - go figure) but... that's just some kind of human subspecies or an ethnic group of some kind, since they call themselves human either way.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; Sun, 04-11-2021 at 03:06 PM.

Awesome user with default custom title neflight86's Avatar
    There was a real energy to this production that made everything seem... needlessly lively. There was almost constant motion and hustle that was almost distracting, but still a joy to watch. I had some trouble following the implications of the story (I'm too used to anime dumbing things down for me), but by the end was totally on board. This is probably going to be a favorite that I hopefully will watch to completion (sorry Iron Blooded Orphans), based on episode one alone. There's always some extra bite in series where it is all but a given that named characters are going to die regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by neflight86 View Post
    There was a real energy to this production that made everything seem... needlessly lively. There was almost constant motion and hustle that was almost distracting, but still a joy to watch. I had some trouble following the implications of the story (I'm too used to anime dumbing things down for me), but by the end was totally on board. This is probably going to be a favorite that I hopefully will watch to completion (sorry Iron Blooded Orphans), based on episode one alone. There's always some extra bite in series where it is all but a given that named characters are going to die regularly.
    I know the LN seems to be highly regarded, I recall shinta recommending it when there were a few volumes out (officially translated at least).

Will try it later.

Episode 2

-------------------------------

this show is super fun.
    Undertaker is obviously super badass - yada yada I don't really care - but I kinda love the spider-bots and the whole idea of the "lore" so far.
    So the Empire has sent these bots to conquer the republic but they themselves fell victim to their own creation?
    Whether it's true or not, that's very interesting. Kinda makes you think what they did to the people living in that nation. Did Legion just kill everyone?
    If they will really stop after 50.000 hours of operation time or not is questionable.

Undertaker ending his service next year is obviously very unbelievable too, considering that we haven't seen a single soldier so far that survived so long. I don't quite understand how that would work in the first place.
    This war is over in 2 more years, why would they let anyone go before that happens.

You also start to wonder how other nations reacted, how big was that empire? Did it conquer the whole world? What did other nations do to fight against Legion?
    How did the Republic survive exactly? Their weapons are inferior, how did they find the time to build that fortress and more importantly, where is that fortress? So far it looks like they are fighting in the ruins of District 86.

I also love the codenames.
    Reminds me of Battletech.

I don't think ojou is going to get off with a simple hand slap after truthing students that hard...

I agree that Undertaker is in no way going to be eligible for release, and his expression kinda suggests he knows that, too.

The fight choreography is much more detailed than I was expecting, almost like Girls und Panzer- great job.

Yup, the whole 'the enemy was actually murdered by their own super weapons' has much more interesting implications than the typical melodrama of the other warring side's human perspective.

Episode 3

--------------------------------------------------------

Once more, this doesn't disappoint.
    The presentation of this is really good. I liked that they didn't really show the fighting this time around and made it from the Major's POV this time around.
    The animation is really good too.

So far, it seems like it will be the winner for me, this season.

Codename: "Wehrwolf" - that's a good one, although tainted by WW2 history.

The first episode was kinda bland, but the 2nd and 3rd more than made up for it.

The girls all shifting to a proper shooting stance within a second at the river was a really nice touch from so many series where they play military but don't react like they are.

A bit confused about what the intention is with the "white-savior" dual narrative they have going. Are they going for a savage critique of it, or is the author trying to redeem the shitty narrative trope?

• The 86ers view her as one, annoyed by her nightly calls and enraged by her sympathy for their losses (though it is genuine coming from her even if they don't believe her).
    • Vladilena views herself a more enlightened citizen who cares about the 86ers as actual people and is willing to get in trouble over it, which definitely makes her a "white-savior" who thinks she's the only one who can get them out of this mess and treat them like people again. Sure, she doesn't call them "Eighty-sixers," but she does still call them "Processors" and it does show the hollowness of her concern, which was emphasized by the rant post-credits.
    • They show the 'elite' citizens as lazy, drunk, incompetent, etc, outside of a very few. If the war actually ends (I'm going to guess now that it wouldn't even if the robots finally did get exhausted), the 86ers could probably overrun the silver-haired elites easily.
    • Vladilena actually being a competent commander by Shin's quiet admission at the end of episode 2, and dedication into looking for the maps with the intent to send them along somewhat undermines the dual narrative, because she actually is a good tactical commander which ends up reinforcing the whole "white-savior" aspect of the series.

The obvious takeaway that, "They're supposed to work together!" still dips its toes in the idea that only an elite and priveledged ojou-san who happens to be a gifted military commander can really save them. Shin and his senior personnel (Daiya, Anju) are obviously extremely competent and the only thing holding them back from not even needing Vladilena is the more up to date tactical information she provides.

I guess...is the author trying to have Vladilena realize she's being a white savior, or is the end goal to make Shin and the rest of the squad accept her as their white savior?

All in all, not bad. The series isn't as overhyped as I expected. It's like a version of Schwarzesmarken/MuvLuv that doesn't suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu View Post
    The first episode was kinda bland, but the 2nd and 3rd more than made up for it.

The girls all shifting to a proper shooting stance within a second at the river was a really nice touch from so many series where they play military but don't react like they are.

A bit confused about what the intention is with the "white-savior" dual narrative they have going. Are they going for a savage critique of it, or is the author trying to redeem the shitty narrative trope?

• The 86ers view her as one, annoyed by her nightly calls and enraged by her sympathy for their losses (though it is genuine coming from her even if they don't believe her).
    • Vladilena views herself a more enlightened citizen who cares about the 86ers as actual people and is willing to get in trouble over it, which definitely makes her a "white-savior" who thinks she's the only one who can get them out of this mess and treat them like people again. Sure, she doesn't call them "Eighty-sixers," but she does still call them "Processors" and it does show the hollowness of her concern, which was emphasized by the rant post-credits.
    • They show the 'elite' citizens as lazy, drunk, incompetent, etc, outside of a very few. If the war actually ends (I'm going to guess now that it wouldn't even if the robots finally did get exhausted), the 86ers could probably overrun the silver-haired elites easily.
    • Vladilena actually being a competent commander by Shin's quiet admission at the end of episode 2, and dedication into looking for the maps with the intent to send them along somewhat undermines the dual narrative, because she actually is a good tactical commander which ends up reinforcing the whole "white-savior" aspect of the series.

The obvious takeaway that, "They're supposed to work together!" still dips its toes in the idea that only an elite and priveledged ojou-san who happens to be a gifted military commander can really save them. Shin and his senior personnel (Daiya, Anju) are obviously extremely competent and the only thing holding them back from not even needing Vladilena is the more up to date tactical information she provides.

I guess...is the author trying to have Vladilena realize she's being a white savior, or is the end goal to make Shin and the rest of the squad accept her as their white savior?

All in all, not bad. The series isn't as overhyped as I expected. It's like a version of Schwarzesmarken/MuvLuv that doesn't suck.
    I interpreted it as the typical white savior "but what if they were self aware and actually strove to add value" type of spin. I don't hate the character at all, even if the 86ers are far more interesting, I am curious to learn more about how the previous handlers were being killed / if there is power or tech that could change the power dynamic no longer making the op a "white savior". Just musings at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by exglitch67 View Post
    I interpreted it as the typical white savior "but what if they were self aware and actually strove to add value" type of spin. I don't hate the character at all, even if the 86ers are far more interesting, I am curious to learn more about how the previous handlers were being killed / if there is power or tech that could change the power dynamic no longer making the op a "white savior". Just musings at this point.
    I don't hate or even dislike Vladilena, I find her naiveté interesting considering that she's one of the only Alba's under 30 that has apparently seen 86ers, and moreover, actually been to the battlefield at all.

Like she's halfway there to figuring it out, and she just got chewed out by people she tries to treat with respect but still didn't quite get there.

The one that cut the hardest was when he called her out for never asking their real names. All she ever sees is the names on the screen and the voices that go with them. She keeps detailed notes about whatever they're actually sharing with her in her bedroom notebook, but since she can only hear them, she doesn't have a face to associate to.

So, from that aspect, it is also on the 86ers (and the government separation of the districts and 86th). They can lie to her all they want, and since she's innocent, good natured, and "virgin like," she'll believe it. It's hard to put all the blame on her when she's is showing some level of interest, and they have lied to her several times.

It's a "fun" anime, but it's really held back by the generic character designs imo. Especially the main girl just looks like a thousand other anime girls I've seen before. Just last week, the heroine of Tales of Arise was shown and she looks awfully close. Just too generic. I wish this series had a bigger budget for higher quality animation.

Btw which girl was Kirschblüten again?

The first fictional loli that made me fall for her

Quote Originally Posted by MFauli View Post
    It's a "fun" anime, but it's really held back by the generic character designs imo. Especially the main girl just looks like a thousand other anime girls I've seen before. Just last week, the heroine of Tales of Arise was shown and she looks awfully close. Just too generic. I wish this series had a bigger budget for higher quality animation.

I think it was the girl with red hair that was mad at Undertaker for spending time talking to the Valdilena?

Quote Originally Posted by exglitch67 View Post
    I think it was the girl with red hair that was mad at Undertaker for spending time talking to the Valdilena?
    would make sense that they kill the girl they focused on the most earlier, yeah.

The first fictional loli that made me fall for her

It was the black-haired girl who so thoughtfully told Vladilena she didn't hate her, and set several death flags this episode.

edit:
    Ugh, the official website updates episode to episode. Definitely wasn't the redhead.

It was the black haired girl who kinda liked her new handler.

I wish this series had a bigger budget for higher quality animation.

The animation is pretty good, especially character animation.
    And I don't think she looks alike to the Tales of Arise character.
    At least not more than any other anime girl.

She looks way more similar to Esdeath - but that's anime for you.

I guess I don't really get what makes a 'white savior' story archetype, aside from the literal interpretation that she is essentially albino.

She has a job which she got from a combination of privilege (right race in this world) and talent/skill (is a good commander). She sees humanity in and is trying to connect with her jaded team, and they reject her as they have had no confidence instilled in them by their previous handlers. She still endeavors to help, and it doesn't always work, so her team vents at her over the loss of one of their own, harshly. It seems more complicated than simply being a satire or reinforcement. I like the contrast her scientist friend brings to gain a perspective that the rest of their society has on these matters.

Side note- when she was frantically looking at the map before the unit died, was the implication that her instructions got her killed, or that she just didn't realize/warn her in time?

Side note- when she was frantically looking at the map before the unit died, was the implication that her instructions got her killed, or that she just didn't realize/warn her in time?
    She isn't exactly ordering everyone around all the time. She didn't warn her in time, that's all.

I wonder why the Löwe was there all alone though.
    Pretty weird tactics for full AI forces imho.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; Sun, 05-02-2021 at 04:30 AM.

Episode 5

----------------------------------------

all right, this is really interesting now. And super scary too.

Indeed.

This went from, "I wonder what's going to happen as the Alba realize that they're generally all losers who couldn't fight their way out of a shopping frenzy and now the extremely experienced soldiers in the 86ers decide they don't really need to follow their orders at the end of the war," to straight-up Muv Luv "We're going to lose, unequivocally," type stuff.

Things start to add up, like why they made sure the wounded or killed are brought back if possible, shot in the head or burned otherwise, and he only takes mech fragments as grave markers. Also the ominous line, "I'm looking for my brother."

We also got some evidence that their society used to be comingled, with the fashion billboard and Undertaker's backstory that he and his brother used to live in the city center of all places, District 1, not just one of the other 85. Someone decided to segregate their population first, then forge forward with racism, then dehumanize them.

Nope. Just child soldiers left, and a dwindling few at that.

How high up the military does the knowledge go? Her father was pretty high ranking, and thought there would be eventual peace after the fighting ended. Some AoT type stuff?

Much more interesting, indeed. I also got some muv-luv vibes. It is always more scary when the ones who understand the danger are in no decision making capacity, and in this case, not really incentivized to share that information. Too bad the show didn't foreshadow this with a brief 'retrieval' scene in an earlier episode, like after a credit roll or the like, but that is a nitpick.

Excited to see what happens next.

I just wonder what could possibly happen in the next few episodes.
    The 1-85ers are not going to fight this war themselves or send backup.
    I can imagine the MCs of this show are going on the hunt for the shepherds, but would that even stop anything?

I have to admit, I didn't quite understand the "brain" stuff.
    So... the brains of people are used as processor units for the legion (this is probably why Undertaker is called a processer himself, because the Alba "fake" the whole Legion System themselves)?
    And currently, the Alba-doctrine thinks that the "current" brains expire in the next few years.
    The 86ers however think that they will just be replaced by the brains of the fallen? As we can imagine happened to MCs brother.