280974.jpg

"* Based on a fantasy light novel series written by Mikoshiba Nana and illustrated by Korie Riko.

The Arnold Academy of Magic is a school for the elite...and Ray White is just your ordinary guy. In fact, he doesn't seem particularly skilled with magic at all, and is a bit of a klutz. Which is why he has nothing to do with the rumor that one of the great magicians, the Iceblade Sorcerer, is a member of the incoming class...right?

Source: Kodansha"

Genre(s): Fantasy, Action, Adventure, School

https://subsplease.org/shows/hyouken...kai-wo-suberu/

1-2

Since we have some discussion going on in the seasonal thread, we might as well have a dedicated thread. What makes OP protagonist stories more bearable for me is the supporting cast. Are they useless? Do they exist to heap praise on the MC or be their foil? Would this world cease to function without our lord and savior-kun? Thankfully, the side cast here is done right- even if they still serve those purposes- because their interactions and dialogue are entertaining and display some self-sustainability. From twin-tail tsun to bodybuild bros, the self-loathing elf and even the proud rebellious ojou, all the bases are covered in the entourage, but the jokes are on point and no one is worshipping Ray yet. That goes a long way in making this enjoyable for me.

MC is straightforward and mature in the emotional sense- don't engage the haters on their terms. But he seems to still pick up on the vitriol like a normal person yet doesn't outright disparage the local teeth-clenched-bullies. After all, befriending anyone is better than making an enemy if you had the choice, right? Probably nothing will come of it, but I prefer the option of redemption and this looks like that might be a possibility.

Other than that, there is noting here we haven't seen before- either the execution suits you or it doesn't, because these story beats are used and abused. Don't know if I'll continue, but it got off to a better than average start.