Blog Entries

Hunter x Hunter 2011

Alternative Title: ハンター×ハンター (2011)

Type: TV
    Episodes: Unknown
    Source: Manga
    Studio: Madhouse
    Genres: Action, Adventure, Shounen, Super Power

Synopsis: Remake of the 1999 TV series of Hunter x Hunter based on the manga by Togashi Yoshihiro.

A Hunter is one who travels the world doing all sorts of dangerous tasks. From capturing criminals to searching deep within uncharted lands for any lost treasures. Gon is a young boy whose father disappeared long ago, being a Hunter. He believes if he could also follow his father's path, he could one day reunite with him.

After becoming 12, Gon leaves his home and takes on the task of entering the Hunter exam, notorious for its low success rate and high probability of death to become an official Hunter. He befriends the revenge-driven Kurapica, the doctor-to-be Leorio and the rebellious ex-assassin Killua in the exam, with their friendship prevailing throughout the many trials and threats they come upon taking on the dangerous career of a Hunter.

Resources: ANN | AniDB | MyAnimeList

no links to unlicensed distribution sources (eg fansubs, rips) be linked in this thread

When someone is first to post about a new episode, a little "Episode XX discussion below" warning may help other users avoid spoilers and keep things tidy.

---
    Episode 01 is out.
    Last edited by Buffalobiian; Mon, 07-16-2012 at 06:02 AM.

Good first episode. The beginning felt rushed, but once they got to the ship it felt perfectly fine in terms of pacing.

Gon´s voice is strange as someone who knows the old anime, but I think I´ll get used to it quickly.

Agree mostly with the sentiment from the other thread, it's very generic, and has rushed through so much, have no interest or opinion on any of the characters.
    It's a shame, FMA showed us how something like this could be done well, so far can't say they've improved any aspect of the original.

The voices of Gon and Kurapica need some getting used to, that's for sure. At the moment Gon's voice sounds off.

The episode itself did rush in the beginning. I hope they come back to that with a flashback, because his immediate motivation for becoming a Hunter and getting the invite (or flyer, forgot wat it was) has been omitted.

Didn't particularly like Gon and Kurapica's VA's. They probably will take time getting used to. Leorio on the other hand, I thought his VA was pretty darn good, it felt right.

I never liked Kurapica's current seiyuu. Makes me start hating her voice even more now that she's voicing Kurapica in a series I like.

Man, I forgot how much I freakin' love this series.

Not psyched about having to start over, but the early parts of the original HxH DO look pretty dated now.

Episode 02 aired!
    Last edited by Buffalobiian; Sun, 07-08-2012 at 09:54 AM.

Those shapeshifters were jolly fellows.

Another good episode. The pacing is superb. And I have to praise the opening song. Sounds like a true, old-fashioned shounen-anime opening.

My one criticism would be concerning the monsters. I thought they were WAY creepier/scarier in the old anime. Here, they never appeared to be a thread, maybe only in the scene where Gon was almost attacked when he looked for the other monster.

Can´t wait to see next episode, the walk/run is one of my favorite parts of the whole exam.

They certainly are flying through this. Enjoyed the episode, though I have to say, I don't think this will be even comparable to the original series. For example, the scene when Gon realised the two Kiriko's apart was done so much better in the original imo. Not sure if im too keen on how quickly they're progressing with the series either :/

Having said that, I did enjoy the episode

Quote Originally Posted by MFauli View Post
    My one criticism would be concerning the monsters. I thought they were WAY creepier/scarier in the old anime. Here, they never appeared to be a thread, maybe only in the scene where Gon was almost attacked when he looked for the other monster.
    Obviously, they aren't going to be as creepy when you already know they're actually good guys.

Getting less impressed, they seem to be cutting more and more out, some pretty good scenes too - Leorio on the bus going nowhere, and Leorio figuring out the differences between the shapeshifters.
    Even some subtle changes are irritating me at this point;
    In the original, the episode ended with Kuropica and Leorio being carried off by one shapeshifter each, and Gon being carried off by two, which in my mind at least was a sign of their respect/like of Gon, in this two carry Leorio, and the only reason I can put to it is that he's meant to be a fat bastard compared to the other two.
    The DokuDoku part too - why did they replace the tonne of kids with ~6 older people dressed up?

I reckon some of my irks are unreasonable, changes are bound to be done, I think they are irking me more than they should because the overall feel is nothing compared to the original.

I didn't watch the anime for a while, but I just knew Leorio took the bus in the 'original' series.
    I do hope they take it easy with the pacing from now on.

Yeah, this series is doing the same thing Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood did, and I don't like that.

FMA:B beginning was hurried to the max, but otherwise I liked it a lot better than the first series, which I more or less disliked. So, I'm not yet ready to judge this doomed. It all depends on the later parts.

Well yeah, once it got to the actual new stuff, FMAB was great. But the fact that, if you wanted the FULL FMA manga story in anime form, you'd have to piece together parts of the first series and parts of the second really sucks.

I'm expecting this series will also slow down once it passes the point the old series ended as well, but that's a lot of great stuff in the meantime that's going to be heavily edited.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthEnder View Post
    Well yeah, once it got to the actual new stuff, FMAB was great. But the fact that, if you wanted the FULL FMA manga story in anime form, you'd have to piece together parts of the first series and parts of the second really sucks.

I'm expecting this series will also slow down once it passes the point the old series ended as well, but that's a lot of great stuff in the meantime that's going to be heavily edited.
    Yeah that just shows that they consider people who are already familiar with Hunter X Hunter as a big part of their target audience. Keeping that in mind, speeding up the pace of this portion of the story is a good compromise.

Episode 03 aired!

---------------------------------------------------------

Well, the definitely slowed way down for this episode. The spent pretty much the entire ep on character introductions.
    Last edited by Buffalobiian; Sun, 07-08-2012 at 09:54 AM.

It seems like no one here read the manga. Apart from Kite's introduction (which will be shown later in the form of a flashback), this new anime has cut nothing that was part of the manga. I repeat, they left nothing out of the episodes. Leorio taking the buss and other stuff like that was filler in the old anime.