Thread: Seirei Gensouki

Awesome user with default custom title neflight86's Avatar

Seirei Gensouki

261338.jpg

* Based on a fantasy light novel series written by Kitayama Yuuri and illustrated by Riv.

Rio is a callous orphaned boy living in the slums. At only 7-years-old, he realizes he's actually the reincarnation of Amakawa Haruto, a Japanese university student with a tragic past. While still reeling from this shocking epiphany, Rio also comes to learn that he possesses extremely potent magical abilities and uses his new powers to solve the kidnapping case of a little girl. His good deed is acknowledged, and he's rewarded by being enrolled into... a prestigious academy for noble children...?

Source: J-Novel

Genre(s): Fantasy, Action, Adventure

Not the worst isekai I've seen. What Seirei has going for it is its pacing. These recycled light novel elements are not dwelled upon and by the end of episode two seems like we will be entering the actual adventure portion of the story soon. I also enjoy how the show isn't committing as to who the little boy actually is. Is seems implied that he died and was possessed by the isekaie'd spirit from glorious nippon, but the kid's monologue refers to the memories as belonging to another, at least as far as the subs word it... The background mystery helps, so long as I don't realize it probably won't be resolved or touched on satisfactorily this cour.

Yeah, it's a very basic isekai series. It means it's not trying too hard to be anything revolutionary, which usually would result in a disaster, unless the original author is really talented. It's a good choice the Japanese transmigrator didn't entirely replace the original personality of the body. Whenever the total replacement happens, it seems kind of cruel, unless the original had died as well.

Yeah; interestingly the only isekai that I remember touching on the moral implications of 'replacing' a living person in another world was Ascendance of a Bookworm- that was a pretty somber scene...
    Last edited by neflight86; Fri, 07-16-2021 at 01:31 PM. Reason: spelling error

Though it hasn't got an anime yet, although I hope one day it will, the manga Isekai Tensei Soudouki is pretty much the opposite: The MC, as a native, is just fine and dandy, but he also has two other personalities within his head, reincarnators from Japan. They can exchange information and the reincarnators can take control of the body if needed, but usually it's just the original personality doing stuff, although very heavily influenced by the info and ideas he gets from the reincarnators. However, there's no forceful fusion like in this series and some others, where the MC suddenly remembers (if you can call it that) that they are originally from Japan, typically leading to a strong suppression of the native personality, even if not to a total eradication of it.

I feel like this isn't a spoiler for that other series since it's in pretty much every description of the series out there.

Well the apple has gently rolled back into place under the shadow of the tree from whence it came. We're back to rote power fantasy (he's a sage!) now with some beast girl waifus for good measure. Interest quickly dwindling, though the egg theft scene could lead to something better, and the other reincarnators seemingly being on the same bus (crash) is a nice touch, but there's no way that's going to be satisfactorily touched upon this early in the story.

Yeah, having all those girls so forcefully thrown on him was pretty blatant. Still, it's better than having willing slave girls follow him.

Episode 6

- - --

Not a word afterwards about the foolish human dude who was used as a tool by the villain. I wonder if those spirit-kin folks even disposed of the body if they didn't bother to try to figure out anything. Pretty happy-go-lucky folks.

I felt bad for him, too. Just following orders, and when the egg cracked and had a dead baby wyvern inside (on screen), I though that was a bit much for what this show has been going for so far...

He's been there a year already? The progress this episode was he left the imouto behind to begin his search for (not)Japan? Can't say this development is interesting, as he has no clear goal so far, nor any credible tension or conflict. Getting harder to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by neflight86 View Post
    He's been there a year already? The progress this episode was he left the imouto behind to begin his search for (not)Japan? Can't say this development is interesting, as he has no clear goal so far, nor any credible tension or conflict. Getting harder to watch.
    I'd say his final goal would be to find and punish the killer of her mother, but in the meantime he wants to study his background. Of course that's also connected to finding the killer. But yeah, I agree on it all feeling kind of pointless. If you consider the beginning, he had a good start for a dark-spirited, vengeance-filled edgelord character, like Sasuke from Naruto, but it didn't really lead to anything. He never seems to dwell in the past, hating the killer, or anything of that sort. He's a bit too realistic in the sense of merely feeling dispirited by the country he used to live in and thus hitting the road to check some other places. He got kicked in the head plentifully, but it barely shows in his personality. That's it. Not much of a story.

Episode 7

- - -

It's kind of annoying how everything's so easy for the MC, even when he supposedly makes a mistake. Everyone else immediately tells him it's not his mistake. You know, the dude reminds me of Kirito, and that's not a good thing. It's that same smooth, calm, seemingly humble behavior when in the background a full chorus of angels is singing his praise and people get on their knees to worship the ground he walked on. It's actually better when it's intentionally taken so over the top that it becomes ridiculous, like Tatsuya in Mahouka Koukou.