Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Genjitsu Shugi Yuusha no Oukoku Saikenki

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Awesome user with default custom title neflight86's Avatar

Genjitsu Shugi Yuusha no Oukoku Saikenki

260082.jpg

* Based on a comedy fantasy light novel series written by Dozeumaru and illustrated by Fuyuyuki.

"O, Hero!" With that cliched line, Souma Kazuya found himself summoned to another world and his adventure--did not begin. After he presents his plan to strengthen the country economically and militarily, the king cedes the throne to him and Souma finds himself saddled with ruling the nation! What's more, he's betrothed to the king's daughter now...?! In order to get the country back on its feet, Souma calls the wise, the talented, and the gifted to his side. Five people gather before the newly crowned Souma. Just what are the many talents and abilities they possess...?! What path will his outlook as a realist take Souma and the people of his country down?

Source: J-Novel Club

Genre(s): Fantasy(isekai)

Three episodes in, this is pretty entertaining. Summoned to be sold for short term debt relief, Souma decides to fix the kingdom's underlying problems instead (and because he doesn't trust being shipped off to another country; healthy skepticism). Souma is looking to really Sim City the heck out of this isekai world. It reminds me of the earlier parts of Slime isekai, before the battling took front and center. I like how he prioritizes surrounding himself with capable people instead of being the sole savior of this world with his superior Japanese knowledge. Definitely check it out.

If that didn't sell you, the King and ear cleaning Queen are kawaii...

Awesome user with default custom title KrayZ33's Avatar
    I'm watching this show as well...

simply because I want to see what he will do to enhance the quality of living there.
    I have to say though.. that other show with the female demon king and hero teaming up and falling in love was better than this so far.
    (can't remember the name though... "the demon king is my wife"? Or something
    But we aren't far in, so who knows.

I feel like this show does pamper a whole lot more to the "I'd kick so much as in medieval times"-crowd.
    It reminds me a bit of Gate in that regard, actually.

Guy talks to an elf, who lived for who knows how long in a forest and their ancestor's ancestors did the same thing
    "Do you even thin bros" - "WHAT IS THAT, OH MY GAWD, DO ME RIGHT NOW IN FRONT OF EVERYONE MY LORD"

And don't get me started on that "prime minister in black"

It's basically going in the same direction as Slime.. and I sure as hell hope I'm wrong.
    The townbuilding stuff in Slime was interesting for like 1 episode, before he basically got everything for free to create a early-modern japanese city.

I was hoping for more explanations of what he's actually DOING. Like how Dr. Stone is constantly teaching you science.

But so far, the show mostly handwaves it. He does mountains of paperwork with no explanation of what it actually does, other than it's just vaguely fixing things.

Quote Originally Posted by KrayZ33 View Post
    simply because I want to see what he will do to enhance the quality of living there.
    I have to say though.. that other show with the female demon king and hero teaming up and falling in love was better than this so far.
    (can't remember the name though... "the demon king is my wife"? Or something
    But we aren't far in, so who knows.
    I'm enjoying the one where the goddess thinks he's ugly and dumped him with the monsters.

The girl orcs look like Miss Piggy.

Awesome user with default custom title KrayZ33's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthEnderX View Post
    I was hoping for more explanations of what he's actually DOING. Like how Dr. Stone is constantly teaching you science.

But so far, the show mostly handwaves it. He does mountains of paperwork with no explanation of what it actually does, other than it's just vaguely fixing things.
    Yeah... but the little part where he used the national treasures etc was pretty cool. But that's what I want to see, mostly.

Quote Originally Posted by KrayZ33 View Post
    Yeah... but the little part where he used the national treasures etc was pretty cool.
    Right, but he's had, like, 2 of those moments in 3 episodes.

Dr. Stone does that shit, like, 5 times an episode.

If you want detail overload on nation building and technological advancement, you should probably be reading the Release that Witch Chinese light novel.

Which, for the record, I do no read, but the LN readers never stfu in the manhua comments and reviews about how much better it is. It's a LN. They're all badly written.

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    That ep felt like fanservice introduction for the many pairs possibilities...

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

Being able to communicate with the demons (and them subsequently being sentient) does change the entire dynamic of the war, however. I'm actually surprised that a cliffhanger-bait ear whisper from last episode actually panned out into something interesting.

I'm most curious to see how he deals with the traitors when he undoubtedly wins. I would personally prefer mercy, but too much of that (like, for example, telling the dukes they can keep their positions and serve under him) would undermine his authority going forward. At the same time, I can't picture him executing them to make an example, and imprisonment seems like a waste of characters, so who knows how they'll handle this?

Quote Originally Posted by neflight86 View Post

I'm most curious to see how he deals with the traitors when he undoubtedly wins. I would personally prefer mercy, but too much of that (like, for example, telling the dukes they can keep their positions and serve under him) would undermine his authority going forward. At the same time, I can't picture him executing them to make an example, and imprisonment seems like a waste of characters, so who knows how they'll handle this?
    10:

That's a good question. If he simply pardoned them and allowed them to continue in their positions, he would accept a high risk for serious future trouble. It would make all nobles ponder the possibility of one-sidedly rejecting the king's orders with no repercussions. It would also make the common citizens think that they can either get away with crimes (nearly) scot-free or alternatively that such mercy is only received by high nobles. The latter wouldn't really be unexpected in a medieval society, but it would make the people believe the new king is the same as any other king, and all of his fancy speeches about making the country great again are nothing but empty talk.

Executing the dukes could have an ill effect on the races they represent, though. Kazuya could hardly execute them and allow their sons/daughters to take over, either. The grudge would be too much. However, the lion duke could die honourably in combat. He seems like the kind of man that his family would accept it graciously. If the first son/daughter swore alllegiance to Kazuya before taking over, it might fly. Hard to say about the dragonewt duke, though. The daughter is Liscia's friend, but it's no good if she hated Kazuya. Kazuya might need to imprison or exile the man.

One funny possibility that might work with the dragonewt duke is to disclose his part as a ploy. Since the people involved in his case are quite limited, if Kazuya can get the duke's cooperation, he could tell the population the air forces never betrayed him in the first place, that it was just strategic misinformation to fool both the army duke and the invading foreign nation. Of course he would still need to make the dragonewt duke pay reparations under the table. The poor navy lost their ship, after all.
    Last edited by Kraco; Tue, 09-07-2021 at 03:26 AM.

Spinning this whole insurrection as a ploy to lure in the neighboring country might be the best way to cleanly wrap this up, provided they can keep casualties/losses to a marginal amount.

I wonder how merchant ojou from the invading country is going to fit into all of this, or will she be appointed after the invader is repelled and its commander stripped of all power?

I wonder how merchant ojou from the invading country is going to fit into all of this, or will she be appointed after the invader is repelled and its commander stripped of all power?
    Wasn't the number 8 (days in a week) already stated as the maximum number of people for a socially acceptable harem? Anyone who has watched anime for more than a few months would know such numbers aren't thrown in the air for laughs only. I can't help but think the princess merchant will claim one of the slots. From a technical perspective she has had too many scenes to be a throwaway character, but also story wise she could be used to heal the relations of the two countries. A political marriage, that is.

Episode 11

- - - - - -

I didn't foresee that. I suppose I should have guessed an older man with the head of a lion would be willing to throw himself to the wolves in order to save his nation in full by removing the very roots of the problem. Kazuya is right: It's a huge pity to lose a man of that calibre. That being said, I also didn't expect any (convenient) magic slave collars, which is quite an oversight since this is sekai and isekai loves slaves. I'm not sure what role those collars, exactly, will play in the big picture, though. If he executes rebels, it doesn't really matter if they were in ordinary chains or wore some slave collar. Maybe such a device will allow him to avoid sending them to the headsman. Time will tell.

Those collars have multiple benefits:
    -King's safety. Eventhough none of the bearers are willing to kill the King, just be careful
    -You do not have to excecute them, so the people that were following them won't hold a grudge against the king
    -They can experience the King's ruling as insiders and understand he really is the ruler they can eventuallly swear loyalty to.
    -It give ample time to defuse any bombs, to root out enemy insiders and time for those with collars to redeem themselves in the eyes of the commoners.

Sometime down the line the collars will safely be removed. And I'm pretty sure we'll learn the killing feature was not even activated.

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

Didn't the episode itself also address the issue of there needing to be a punishment for rebels? Kazuya was also extremely angry that he needs to get rid of a man as capable and far-seeing as Duke Carmine. If someone starts a rebellion against the king, it's not enough to just slap a collar on the person and then pretend everything's cool again. That would be an exceedingly acceptable risk for anyone planning a coup or just some more minor, but still big, crime (treason or not) in the kingdom. That's why I wondered what's the point.

Of course if there's no tradition of execution for a treason (or lèse-majesté) but instead the collar is used and the culprits are truly rendered into lowly slaves for life, it's a different thing. It could be pretty bad even if they weren't sent to the mines (which typically was a death sentence, just a slow one). Carla Vargas, for example, is a beautiful girl, so her fate as a slave wouldn't necessarily be a pretty one.

It got me thinking: we've heard the collar is setup with the King as the master. But how does the collar work actually ?
    One master only, but you can kill anyone else ? Or is there a zone effect where you can't kill at all ? is it a two parts device, the collar and several medaillons or whatever you can distribute to people you need to protect ?
    Also, these collars seem to be pretty common, so they were not created overnight. Just wondering if they are a Royal thing or ubiquitous.
    Thinking back, this is a human putting collar on animal/human hybrids. That in itself is not a very good image.

Quote Originally Posted by David75 View Post
    Thinking back, this is a human putting collar on animal/human hybrids. That in itself is not a very good image.
    Yeah, especially in that kingdom, which was laboriously, and with special arrangements, established to be an equal home for both humans and demi-humans. The whole three demi-human dukes (or duchesses) controlling most of the military forces was to make sure the more numerous humans can't seize absolute power and become tyrannical. Now a human king has two out of three demi-human dukes in slave collars. Yeah, it doesn't look good even if there was a heavy reason for it (the still ongoing demon invasion making unity more necessary than ever). Still, for the time being I do have enough faith in this story to assume Kazuya understands all that.

Quote Originally Posted by David75 View Post
    It got me thinking: we've heard the collar is setup with the King as the master. But how does the collar work actually ?
    It is weird that Carmine would have all these collars that were attuned a guy he's never even met.

Him having calibrated slave collars is a bit of a narrative oversight/convenience that I won't mind as it serves the story (nondeath for carmine), and the mechanics of their logistics don't really impact their purpose. Souma must have known, but did Carmine know he knew? Did he instruct the other leader to tell him?

As for the collared, to preserve rule(face) of law, he could simply say they are 'imprisoned' for treason... The prison being more like the Palace, continuing to serve their duties now that they are more or less on board the isekai savior train. Who would know better?

What I'm sketchy on is how they assume a mercenary state will be willing to buy back its hostage armies after receiving payment, assuming that isn't all of them.

Losing a war during the beginning of an ED credits roll. The ultimate 'oof'.

What I'm sketchy on is how they assume a mercenary state will be willing to buy back its hostage armies after receiving payment, assuming that isn't all of them.
    They will need a whole lot more slave collars if the mercenary nation doesn't pay the ransom.