Thread: Shin no Nakama

Shin no Nakama

Full name: Shin no Nakama ja Nai to Yuusha no Party o Oidasareta node, Henkyou de Slow Life Suru Koto ni Shimashita

"Red was once a member of the Hero's party, a powerful group destined to save the world from the evil forces of Taraxon, the Raging Demon Lord. That is, until one of his comrades kicked him out. Hoping to live the easy life on the frontier, Red's new goal is to open an apothecary. However, keeping the secret of his former life may not be as simple as he thinks. Especially when the beautiful Rit, an adventurer from his past, shows up and asks to move in with him!" -Yen Press

- - - - - - -

This is quite a standard fantasy series (not isekai), but it's standard mostly in good, not bad. It has some trope elements, like getting kicked out of his original group despite being competent and trying to his best (I guess that's the lightest variation of the "betrayed by comrades" trope). Fortunately it at least fits the destiny based world. Since the MC is seemingly not edgy or emo about it (no revenge plot), it doesn't feel like a particularly corny backstory. It's almost refreshing that since his god-given profession is not suitable for grand deeds, he doesn't fight back with full shounen mentality, but instead decides to ace a smaller dream.

Still, this is a fantasy series and the dude does have a background he's trying to hide, so it would be a miracle if he gained the perfect slow life.

This is quite a pleasant series, so I'll try to keep watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco View Post
    Since the MC is seemingly not edgy or emo about it (no revenge plot), it doesn't feel like a particularly corny backstory. It's almost refreshing that since his god-given profession is not suitable for grand deeds, he doesn't fight back with full shounen mentality, but instead decides to ace a smaller dream.
    This is quite a pleasant series, so I'll try to keep watching.
    My impression was that he was not very happy at all at getting kicked out of his sister's party by that asshole. He's worried about his sister a lot, and relieved at the end when the rumor goes around that she's doing well and still alive. He just accepted the logic that he's a liability to her and agreed to leave. Obviously didn't discuss it with her first because that asshole implied that she would never ask him to leave (like she wanted to, but was too polite).

I'm guessing Ruti is quite displeased at her brother leaving her side as well. She doesn't know if he was killed off after leaving her. And based on the quick clip, I would wager she wasn't too polite to want him to leave, but she legitimately enjoyed the family support, even if he wasn't as strong as he used to be relatively.

It certainly has me intrigued, as it looks like the other adventurer Rit knows exactly who he used to be.

Yeah, he was helping her grow up and become the real hero, so it's easy to guess they are close. Just suddenly disappearing is certainly the weak point of his plan. Realistically it should bother him a lot as well, and I'd say we did see some indications of that when he was worrying about her. Even if she didn't want him to leave, he should have still left in a better understanding and agreement. The whole dishonouring the knightly order thing was a bit dubious as well. Basically it would mean that the only way for Red to leave honourably would be by dying. In a world where you receive your optimal profession at birth from the god, it's quite peculiar and ruthless to tell someone to ignore that inviolable truth just for the sake of some organisation. His job was done. That should have been enough. The rest is nothing but bolstering the egos of the members of the knightly order.

Episode 2

- - - -

A whole episode spent on flashbacks is never good in my book, but considering how the series started, I guess it couldn't be helped. Rit appearing like an old comrade would be meaningless if she wasn't an old comrade...

I bet Ruti being like that made it easier for Red to leave:

Red: "Sorry, Ruti, but I need to go."
    Ruti: -_-
    Red: "Will you be okay?"
    Red: "We might not see each other for a long time."
    Red: "Alright then, farewell."

It sounds to me like Ruti is looking for a weapon to give to her brother to entice him back into her party. An equipment upgrade, since the sword he gave back when he left wasn't enough. I was wary of the assassin girl until she introduced her spider pet.

As for the rest of the episode, I agree. The flashbacks all felt like dreadful filler to pad out the time. They could have compressed all that to five minutes and it wouldn't have changed a thing. The tone of the flashbacks felt very strange too, like a 4koma at the end of a manga volume that goes back to play gags related to events of the main plot.

The best part of the episode was when Rit was essentially proposing to Gideon, they both knew it, and were both embarrassing the crap out of themselves attempting to pretend they didn't know exactly what the subtext was of the conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu View Post
    The best part of the episode was when Rit was essentially proposing to Gideon, they both knew it, and were both embarrassing the crap out of themselves attempting to pretend they didn't know exactly what the subtext was of the conversation.
    I definitely agree. Considering the circumstances she was about as direct as possible, without appearing totally crazy. Yet being so straightforward would be embarrassing, realistically.