Screenshot might not represent the general atmosphere of the show.

"The setting is the Taisho Era. Tamahiko, a young man who disappointed his parents after losing the use of his right hand in an accident, is forced to move out of his home under the guise of rehabilitation. Resentful of everything in life, he becomes withdrawn and pessimistic when one day a woman named Yuzuki knocks on his door. She claims she has been sent there by his father to be his bride..." -Pony Canyon

- -- - - - - -

I wasn't sure if I watch this show or not, having already read the manga, which is finished. It's a very good manga, though, and this first episode didn't disappoint either. There isn't that much to say about the episode. It's an interesting mix of mild depression and fluffiness.

I'm no Japanese history expert, but just by watching the ep, I think it's probably not that far off from reality. 1920's in Japan would have been the time when the old ways were being heavily replaced by the Western mode of living. If you do know something about the Japanese history, you know during the 20's Western things were very fashionable in Japan. It wasn't until later, with the rise of the militarism prior to the WW2, that Western things were declared degenerate. Yet there are still many old Japanese traditions as well, like the strict ruthlessness of the Shima family.

Yuzuki is such a nice girl. You might say it's very sad she had to leave school and become a bride so young and so suddenly, but things could have gone much worse as well. It's understandable how she can keep up her spirits.