Thread: Senpai ga Uzai Kouhai no Hanashi

Awesome user with default custom title neflight86's Avatar

Senpai ga Uzai Kouhai no Hanashi

263946.jpg

"* Based on a love comedy manga by Shiromanta.

Igarashi is a hardworking young office lady. Takeda, the senpai above her at work, annoys her constantly–and yet she finds herself growing closer to him. Every day is filled with comic mishaps and romantic moments as Igarashi tries to balance work, life, and love.

Source: Seven Seas Entertainment"

Genre(s): Comedy, Sitcom, Drama, Romance

This was a great surprise, and probably tied with Mushouku Tensei as the best produced show of the season that I've seen so far. The animation cuts and direction give the best kind of listless viewing experience that I only get from anime- the kind where expressions and shots hang just a bit longer than usual to sell some introspection, and you can feel the scene if you so wish. But it doesn't get caught up in its own artistry, and is here to entertain. The 'I'm not a kid, I'm just short!' tsun trope is in full effect here, but I haven't watched anime with that as its focus in a looong while. Working adults at a company that isn't a lampoon for the evils of Japanese work culture, check. Solving problems and working together while growing closer, check. Very fun side characters with independent storylines going on, check. Some actually really funny and cute gags, check. An absolutely stellar OP. What are you waiting for?

Only watched the first episode so far.

I was kind of ambivalent towards the series until they went to the fast food place. I had to pause it because I was laughing so hard when she wanted the Kids Meal toy but also didn't want to come off childish...

Lots of fun little gags like that which somehow don't feel so worn out.

My only reservation is that Senpai might be a tad too perfect, and it could be more fun if he has some actual difficulties to navigate as well.

Santa raffle? Never heard of it before, but that was a nice little gesture. The gift giving angst was subverted by him getting her a gift as well. Cute. Pair two is progressing a bit as well. I can't tell- are they officially going out?

Him wearing the tie when coming over to nurse was pretty cute, as well. I liked the sudden onset of realizing how girly her room was (by them both), and how embarrassed she was to be put on full blast about their sick-time visits. The hits just keep comin'.