Thread: Komi-san wa, Komyushou Desu.

Awesome user with default custom title neflight86's Avatar

Komi-san wa, Komyushou Desu.

264161.jpg

"At a high school full of unique characters, Tadano helps his shy and unsociable classmate Komi reach her goal of making friends with 100 people.

Source: Netflix"

Genre(s): Comedy, Romance

Arguably a top 10 first episode, this really sold the sweetness of the main pair and had me take more seriously the extreme social anxiety that Komi has. It really must be a lonely existance, though I cannot say I can relate to such crippling fear myself. It was dwelt on enough to get annoying by most measures, but somehow avoided the dreaded eye roll I was prepared to give it, mostly because of the chalk board scene. It was genuinely cute. The twist at the end of the first episode was actually a bit of overkill, in that I was already vested, but to add that the entire student body just happens to be freak-o is icing on the cake.

The second episode was a bit of a step back, as I'm not as endeared to the new gender-bender character, but the dynamics in place here should expand the comedic space we can expect if for no other reason than we now have two characters capable of holding a conversation. I also have a special place in my heart for two other elements in this episode: the Yandere groupie chick who deems Tadano unworthy of being around Komi, and the well meaning but ultimately misinterpreting Starbucks barista. Things you can only find in anime. Give it a try.

Hot take time.

I fundamentally do not understand this series' popularity.

Long ago, I tried to read the manga. I found it boring. I stuck it out and read like 30 chapters. I was able to confirm that it is boring.

I get that a lot of readers find her super relatable because let's face it, anime fans have historically trended toward introverted, socially anxious types. But this has been done in more engaging other series. It's not strictly a comedy, it's not strictly a healing-type series, it's not a romance really, and it isn't a drama. It is an unfocused "all of the above."

The producers know what they're doing though. They doubled down and cast Koga Aoi (Kaguya-sama) to make cute noises. Another series with absurd popularity that doesn't follow through.

It's socially anxious bait.

It's cute so far.

Awesome user with default custom title neflight86's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu View Post
    I fundamentally do not understand this series' popularity.

Long ago, I tried to read the manga. I found it boring. I stuck it out and read like 30 chapters. I was able to confirm that it is boring.
    I too read some manga and can confirm that this anime adaptation is no less additive than the one for K-on. The manga pales in comparison. I'm not aware of any particular popularity Komi may have, but I guess the proof is in the funding, as this exists and looks really good to boot.

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    I liked the first episode and thought to myself that it was the apex of the enjoyement I could get out of this show. Second episode confirmed my hunch.
    Let's try ep3. But in all honesty Ryll perfectly described what I failed to properly analyse.

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

---

Imma get a meatball sub at Sabowey.