Quote Originally Posted by Kraco View Post
He didn't even try to. He went to the shadiest orphanage in the town and picked the first kid that seemed a bit more stable than the rest. Then that kid is put against the children of the best families in the country, in a school that regards behavior and bearing as more important than intelligence. With exaggeration, she's like a stray dog taken to a famous dog show. Like I said, I believe this is because Loid has so far been solving his missions mainly by relying on himself for the important parts. Now he obviously thought that as long as he coaches any kid (with a rudimentary level of intelligence), it's a mission accomplished. But then again, isn't he 20-something? No matter how kickass a spy he is, he was still too young to really understand the demands of this particular mission.
I mean, let's not pretend that Loid had a chance to objectively gauge Anya's intelligence. She read his mind and then quickly "corrected him" that she was six years old, and she has no paperwork to back it up, which is why he was at the shady orphanage in the first place.

Then she doubled down and read his mind to complete the crossword puzzle, making her appear very smart for a six year old.

He couldn't swap her after he found out she's far less book-smart than she appeared, partly because of the scene she was making when she read his mind and caught on that he considered it, mostly because of Operation Strix' timetable, and lastly because Eden Academy is the kind of institution it is.

Loid is completely outclassed by Anya due to her abilities. It's the core basis to theme in general.