Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Non-Effort of Isekai Anime - Why don't the try more and what are the Good Ones?

There's a difference between being a black company slave (or feeling like being one) and being a respectable employee or business owner with humane working hours and prospects. Most of the slow life isekai series still have the MC do something meaningful.

80,000 Gold Coins got an anime adaptation announced a few days ago, for what it's worth.

Variant of both the transmigration and Villainess reincarnation genres that I've become quite fond of is, "Please Don't Come to the Villainess' Stationery Store" which just finished its first manwha season.

Nice variety there because the lead's primary ambition is not to become wealthy, powerful, win over a love interest, etc. Her only goal is to make school children happy by running a candy store.

ThankYouForYourAdvice.png

Her simple and low-level goals obviously don't go quite as planned.
    Last edited by Ryllharu; Fri, 09-30-2022 at 01:24 PM.

i'm just gonna treat this like a spot to complain about isekai stories. maybe it'll have a point, probably not.

finished reading 20 chapters of "Full Clearing Another World under a Goddess with Zero Believers".
    it has some good isekai parts, but it's dragged down the litrpg parts.
    I like stories where the whole class gets transported, it keeps the characters grounded, they don't get to be so OP so fast, and there is potential for some great dynamics. I also like the "story" about becoming a follower of a forgotten goddess. it works well to direct the story to a goal. and there's even one really good chapters where a character talks about the family there were isekaid into and there no mention of skills or stats, just human interaction and emotions. which is great.

but it's weighted down by the normal bad parts, visible stats and skill levels, characters who know too much about the genre, and the abilities that the MC has:
    1. the ability to keep a calm mind at all times - which means that there is never a reason for him to show emotion, anger, fear, happiness, loneliness , anything that would make him human is dulled out so that he could always be the "perfect strategy character".
    2. the ability to see the world as an RPG - in terms of in-universe, it makes him perceive the world as if he was playing a video game, so he can't be sneaked on, he can see a minimap, etc... in terms of story, rather than actually make decisions, he literately has to push a button to make the plot happen - he needs to choose "engage in fight" before the action can start, or "help lady in distress". it's another form of escaping from character driven story.

and the worse part is the story acknowledges this. they say explicitly that these two skills allow the hero to be "removed" from his feelings and what's happening around him, so he experiences them as if it was happening to character in a game rather than to himself. they know it.
    art is meh, nothing offensive, but no visual style to write home about, very realistic images of the streets and inns, but lacking anything to set it apart.

there is a better, simpler, clearer story hiding inside, but the genre is too cowardly to embrace it.

Quote Originally Posted by Death BOO Z View Post
    i'm just gonna treat this like a spot to complain about isekai stories. maybe it'll have a point, probably not.

finished reading 20 chapters of "Full Clearing Another World under a Goddess with Zero Believers".
    it has some good isekai parts, but it's dragged down the litrpg parts.
    I like stories where the whole class gets transported, it keeps the characters grounded, they don't get to be so OP so fast, and there is potential for some great dynamics. I also like the "story" about becoming a follower of a forgotten goddess. it works well to direct the story to a goal. and there's even one really good chapters where a character talks about the family there were isekaid into and there no mention of skills or stats, just human interaction and emotions. which is great.

but it's weighted down by the normal bad parts, visible stats and skill levels, characters who know too much about the genre, and the abilities that the MC has:
    1. the ability to keep a calm mind at all times - which means that there is never a reason for him to show emotion, anger, fear, happiness, loneliness , anything that would make him human is dulled out so that he could always be the "perfect strategy character".
    2. the ability to see the world as an RPG - in terms of in-universe, it makes him perceive the world as if he was playing a video game, so he can't be sneaked on, he can see a minimap, etc... in terms of story, rather than actually make decisions, he literately has to push a button to make the plot happen - he needs to choose "engage in fight" before the action can start, or "help lady in distress". it's another form of escaping from character driven story.

and the worse part is the story acknowledges this. they say explicitly that these two skills allow the hero to be "removed" from his feelings and what's happening around him, so he experiences them as if it was happening to character in a game rather than to himself. they know it.
    art is meh, nothing offensive, but no visual style to write home about, very realistic images of the streets and inns, but lacking anything to set it apart.

there is a better, simpler, clearer story hiding inside, but the genre is too cowardly to embrace it.
    Just reading this makes me hate this story

Why the fuck can't people write good isekai stories?`:/

Give me an isekai where an isekai portal opens somewhere and a rich guy buys the area, then builds a mansion around the portal and create an organization where he employs people from the real world to go to the isekai to find him treasures and such. Greed Island-like, without the baggage.

Or another attempt of an isekai portal opening and the government reacting to it, except not in the shitty way that GATE did.

Or in general, ADULT heroes going to an isekai and experiencing adventure. I'm so fucking sick of teenage/low-20s heroes that all have the same "generic handsome" look. UGh

"She's the only non-loli girl in the show, your honor!" will be my defense in court

Just watch Dog Days for a palette cleanser.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu View Post
    Just watch Dog Days for a palette cleanser.

wat

"She's the only non-loli girl in the show, your honor!" will be my defense in court

The isekai anime obviously. It has 3 seasons.

No edgelord shit. No LitRPG stats. No cheat abilities, kinda.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu View Post
    The isekai anime obviously. It has 3 seasons.

No edgelord shit. No LitRPG stats. No cheat abilities, kinda.

Dear god, Ryll, those are the worst character designs possible >_> Everyone got the same MOE face >_<

The song is great though. Maybe I'll look into it in the future, but with a new season starting and Fushigi Yuugi ahead, I'm well served. Thx anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by MFauli View Post
    the government reacting to it, except not in the shitty way that GATE did.
    What exactly did Gate do wrong? It's pretty much what most governments in democratic countries would do. But then again, your description sounds like you wanted the portal to open in some godforsaken dictatorship, where the big man would send robber-murderer-pillagers in, not saddled with modern nonsense like respect for human rights, and they would hunt, rape, rob, and enslave the underdeveloped locals. Basically it would then be a traditional isekai with a demon lord invasion, with the demon lord being that dictator from our world and the demon army his underlings. That would be far worse and more uninspired than Gate.

Give me an isekai where an isekai portal opens somewhere and a rich guy buys the area, then builds a mansion around the portal and create an organization where he employs people from the real world to go to the isekai to find him treasures and such. Greed Island-like, without the baggage.
    What I described above is the one and only scenario where an individual would be allowed to control the portal.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco View Post
    What exactly did Gate do wrong? It's pretty much what most governments in democratic countries would do. But then again, your description sounds like you wanted the portal to open in some godforsaken dictatorship, where the big man would send robber-murderer-pillagers in, not saddled with modern nonsense like respect for human rights, and they would hunt, rape, rob, and enslave the underdeveloped locals. Basically it would then be a traditional isekai with a demon lord invasion, with the demon lord being that dictator from our world and the demon army his underlings. That would be far worse and more uninspired than Gate.
    No, you're describing GATE here, except GATE disguised all the bad shit under "we're the government and the hot girls like our government hero". What GATE did do wrong? Come on, read the thread, we went through all that. Predominantly: Not send in troops to genocide the male population, because instead of retreating and letting people of this other world do their own politics, you're bloodlusting assholes. The "government" in GATE acted like an extraterrestrial lifeform that comes to aid China against the USA, instead of respecting our world's politics. It might be morally difficult, but that's what state-level relations are like, see Uighurs, Yemen, Iran, Afghanistan, Ukraine, etc..

GATE simplified all these matters to "I'm the government's dictator hero and I like the girls of this isekai country, so let's murder a 100k enemy soldiers, lol".

And pls let this be the end of further GATE discourse, the thread has it all.

What I described above is the one and only scenario where an individual would be allowed to control the portal.
    Lol. "What I say is THE ONE AND ONLY scenario" Kraco, to add just one other scenario: The gate isn't publically known about. What now? Scenario #2 outta nowhere! ;D

It's not a particularly good anime, but Outbreak Company is an interesting comparison to GATE.

Lol. "What I say is THE ONE AND ONLY scenario" Kraco, to add just one other scenario: The gate isn't publically known about. What now? Scenario #2 outta nowhere! ;D
    What exactly would the show be all about then if nobody knew about the gate? Anyone keeping such a thing hidden would be either a criminal or an opportunist living in an underdeveloped country where there are few laws (more or less anarchy). However, as soon as the "owner" started to send people in, it's inevitable the news would leak. There's no honour among criminals, after all. If the gate didn't open in the middle of a big city, like in Gate, a government possibly could keep it hidden, at least for a time. It would require relatively little activity with minimal personality to stop leaks. I suppose you could write a story about such a case, but in the end it wouldn't be that much different from a bunch of isekai series we already have. Gate was what it was precisely because everybody knew. The other world made sure of that by invading first through the gate with full military strength.

Awesome user with default custom title KrayZ33's Avatar
    What exactly would the show be all about then if nobody knew about the gate? Anyone keeping such a thing hidden would be either a criminal or an opportunist living in an underdeveloped country where there are few laws (more or less anarchy). However, as soon as the "owner" started to send people in, it's inevitable the news would leak. There's no honour among criminals, after all. If the gate didn't open in the middle of a big city, like in Gate, a government possibly could keep it hidden, at least for a time. It would require relatively little activity with minimal personality to stop leaks. I suppose you could write a story about such a case, but in the end it wouldn't be that much different from a bunch of isekai series we already have. Gate was what it was precisely because everybody knew. The other world made sure of that by invading first through the gate with full military strength.
    I'm not an avid Stargate watcher, but isn't that thing basically unknown to the public?
    At least for the longest time?

What would leak?

"Hey guys, there's a teleportation energy gate that leads to a fantasy world where magic, dragons and elves exist! You have to go there!!1"

:>

Quote Originally Posted by KrayZ33 View Post
    I'm not an avid Stargate watcher, but isn't that thing basically unknown to the public?
    At least for the longest time?
    Yeah, certainly. Naturally in fiction you could allow keeping it a secret despite massive operations. My thinking was kind of twisted there because I kept thinking about it realistically, which is unnecessary.

What would leak?

"Hey guys, there's a teleportation energy gate that leads to a fantasy world where magic, dragons and elves exist! You have to go there!!1"

:>
    Yes. What hasn't leaked in our reality? Even Area 51 UFOs got leaked, despite there being no alien UFOs. That's how strongly things leak. Some Snowden would leak it all. It would leak eventually even from totalitarian countries like Russia or China, unless they kept it really small, which would make it kind of meaningless. But then again, this thinking is also wrong, like I admitted to KrayZ. In fiction, you could have an operation involve thousands of random people, yet not a single one would tell about it in a moment of (drunken) carelessness or in exchange for money. I'd rather watch a show where it, realistically, did leak. Because that makes it different from all the other isekai, which only involve one or at most a classroom of people from our world.

there is "I Won 4 Billion in a Lottery But I Went to Another World", which is half of what you want.

it has an adult protagonist, without any litrpg stuff.
    but It's a light hearted romcom story, rather than a bloody action thing, and as far as I read, the existence of the Gate isn't publicly exposed yet.

the story is that our average japansese man wins the lottery, and runs off to his grandparents house in the rural area to avoid people who want the money he won. in the basement of the house there is an entrance to another world, where he encounters a struggling village (and a pretty girl), and decides to help them by bringing in supplies from modern japan. it then proceeds to have him involved in the fantasy politics, par for the course. with a few girls added as the story progresses.

there are some weird overtones of Japanese excellency in how food from japan is inherently better, and maybe some fetishization of manufacturing (which is kind of normal in these stories). but as long as you don't expect it to be something it isn't, then it's ok.

I quit somewhere after 20 chapters, mainly because I couldn't stand the hypocrisy of using his "un-earned" money to help the village (by buying a few thousands dollars worth of fertilizer, or spending 50K on a terrain vehicle to transport them) and this being treated as a moral action, while clearly condemning the people who wanted him to use his money to help real people on real japan, with real problems which require real solutions, which won't result of him being treated as a savior.
    Last edited by Death BOO Z; Tue, 10-04-2022 at 03:13 AM.

sig made by Itachi-y2k5, thanks, dude!
    Currently Watching: probably a show directed at 9 years old girls, lets be honest.

You know the important distinction between Batman and me? Batman is fictional. In real life, there isn't always an alternative.

there are some weird overtones of Japanese excellency in how food from japan is inherently better
    That's exceedingly common in isekai. I'm not at all bothered by Japanese people missing their Japanese food in the fantasy European setting they somehow always end up in (why isn't it ever Japanese feudal times, huh?). It's natural for a person to miss some dishes from their homeland, even here on Earth, if you move to a foreign country far away. I'm only annoyed by it when the Japanese author thinks that the old European style food was absolute garbage and people didn't know how to cook at all, leaving it to the amazing Japanese person to show the hairy barbarians how basic cooking is done. That's the insufferable kind of cheap nationalism, kind of like the katana worship in some isekai.

also that, but in this case there are some magical essence that stuff from 'our earth' are of a higher quality and provide more "substance", it has some effects on the story and I like how it limits the hero, but it carries some weird overtones.

why is always feudal Europe? I can't be bothered to remember all the nobility ranks, and it makes for some bizarre situations where we are meant to feel that the "lowest ranking son of the lowest ranking noble" is somehow an underdog, ignoring all the peasants he lords over and the servants (maid, big boobs, man with glasses) that he commands.

That's what I don't get though: Wouldn't it be SUPER AWESOME if an isekai hero returned to his world, except with his then newfound confidence and physical (and maybe even magical) abilities? Think of Isekai Ojisan, except in a serious story. What satisfying payoff would that be when the mc returns and all those people that previously shunned him, hated him, called him a loser, are now shown what his true potential was, if only his environment hadn't be shitty/toxic?

The name won't come to me, but there's a good, old anime series that is kinda like that, where the heroes return to the real world in the middle of the anime, then go back to the magical world. Heck, Digimon does it, too, although there's less societal drama.

Really, for me, the Isekai genre is a well of infinite creativity. I won't ever be able to cope with how the industry refuses to tap its potential.
    While it doesn't hit all the things you want in an Isekai you could give The Second Coming of Gluttony a chance, though it's more of a returnee and parallell world story in one. The manwha isn't as good as the novel though and it has it trashy moments.

Synopsis:

Unforgivable. Trash. Son of bitch.

Such words are the only ones worthy enough to describe the man known as Seol.

A gambling addict who forgoed his responsibilities, betrayed his family, lover and himself, Seol was someone who ruined his life with his own hands. Even when he ran away to another world, he only continued down his path of failure. With his dying breath on foreign soil, he makes a wish to start over from the beginning.

Returning to the lowest point of his life, accompanied by emotions from a fleeting dream of the past future and a now restored ability to see the path of fate, Seol narrowly avoids the choice that would have resulted in his total ruin once again.

Now once more setting foot in the other world known as the Lost Paradise, Seol attempts to pave a new path, one without regret, and to atone for his sins back on Earth. But redemption never comes so simply, and only through hard-work and suffering may Seol find a chance to truly change himself.

Some other things you might like is the dynamic between the our world and the other world:
    - People go back and forth between the other world and our regular world
    - It's a secret that the other world exists and it's a whole business/people make money out of it

It does however have some gaming aspects such as stats, classes and class changes. Though stats are basically categorized as low (low), low (intermediate), low (high), intermediate (low) etc etc. Classes and class changes are decided by the Gods, if you contribute enough in the world and your stats are high enough you're allowed to become a higher class for example from a warrior into a swordsman.
    You are here alone again
    In your sweet insanity
    All too calm, you hide yourself from reality
    Do you call it solitude? Do you call it liberty?
    When all the world turns away to leave you lonely

there is "I Won 4 Billion in a Lottery But I Went to Another World", which is half of what you want.

it has an adult protagonist, without any litrpg stuff.
    but It's a light hearted romcom story, rather than a bloody action thing, and as far as I read, the existence of the Gate isn't publicly exposed yet.

the story is that our average japansese man wins the lottery, and runs off to his grandparents house in the rural area to avoid people who want the money he won. in the basement of the house there is an entrance to another world, where he encounters a struggling village (and a pretty girl), and decides to help them by bringing in supplies from modern japan. it then proceeds to have him involved in the fantasy politics, par for the course. with a few girls added as the story progresses.

there are some weird overtones of Japanese excellency in how food from japan is inherently better, and maybe some fetishization of manufacturing (which is kind of normal in these stories). but as long as you don't expect it to be something it isn't, then it's ok.

I quit somewhere after 20 chapters, mainly because I couldn't stand the hypocrisy of using his "un-earned" money to help the village (by buying a few thousands dollars worth of fertilizer, or spending 50K on a terrain vehicle to transport them) and this being treated as a moral action, while clearly condemning the people who wanted him to use his money to help real people on real japan, with real problems which require real solutions, which won't result of him being treated as a savior.
    Yeah, that sounds like a story I'd hate, haha, but thx for trying to give recommendations. It's not easy with isekai -_-

Quote Originally Posted by fireheart View Post
    While it doesn't hit all the things you want in an Isekai you could give The Second Coming of Gluttony a chance, though it's more of a returnee and parallell world story in one. The manwha isn't as good as the novel though and it has it trashy moments.

Synopsis:

Some other things you might like is the dynamic between the our world and the other world:
    - People go back and forth between the other world and our regular world
    - It's a secret that the other world exists and it's a whole business/people make money out of it

It does however have some gaming aspects such as stats, classes and class changes. Though stats are basically categorized as low (low), low (intermediate), low (high), intermediate (low) etc etc. Classes and class changes are decided by the Gods, if you contribute enough in the world and your stats are high enough you're allowed to become a higher class for example from a warrior into a swordsman.
    Does this have any chance of an anime adaption? Just read chapter 1 and it's interesting enough. Although the heroe is a total bishounen and the "time travel" commits the #1 sin imo lol. Still, it's definitely above any isekai I'v watched in recent years. Thx
    Last edited by MFauli; Tue, 10-04-2022 at 11:06 AM.