Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Reincarnated as a Sword (TV)

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar

Reincarnated as a Sword (TV)

Alternative Title:
    Tensei Shitara Ken Deshita (Japanese)
    転生したら剣でした (Japanese)

Plot:
    Reincarnated as a sentient weapon with memories of his past life, but not his name, a magical sword saves a young beastgirl from a life of slavery. Fran, the cat-eared girl, becomes his wielder, and wants only to grow stronger, while the sword wants to know why he is here.

Tags:
    Fantasy, Isekai.

Links:
    Official, ANN, AniDB, MAL.

---------------------------------

Up to episode 4 now.

This show is very enjoyable. The sword is OP, but the growth comes from Fran, who is cute as fuck. The mentorship dynamic extends to the other cast as well. The whole pull of the show is just us watching Fran grow through the eyes of Teacher.

The music too is lit as hell. Very Fairy Tail-esque.

ED is cool. OP is more forgettable.

I don't get the scabbard gimmick. Teacher can use his telekinesis to self deploy regardless of whether the scabbard splits open.
    Last edited by Buffalobiian; Fri, 10-28-2022 at 03:24 PM.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian View Post
    the growth comes from Fran, who is cute as fuck.
    This.

I don't get the scabbard gimmick. Teacher can use his telekinesis to self deploy regardless of whether the scabbard splits open.
    Because it looks cooler splitting open.

I like Fran's noble goals of wanting to get strong herself instead of only relying on Teacher. It's consistent with her ultimate goal of being the first black cat to evolve.

I was surprised by the depth of the lore they wedged in during episode 4. Very Delicious in Dungeon for their pantheon.

S'fine. Itsanother iseki.

This is indeed a surprisingly enjoyable watch. It's pretty much 100% stock fantasy, but there are a few things easy to enjoy, for me personally: If you consider Fran the MC, then there's no harem, there are no slaves owned by the MC, the MC doesn't want to live an eternal slow life, the MC is very focused, and there's growth involved to get stronger, not instant OP from episode 1. Of course if you consider the sword the MC, then things are not that simple, but it's kind of hard to sympathise with a sword, so Fran it is for me. The sword is just a supporting secondary main character, despite being the primary point of view holder in the show.

Yeah, it doesn't hurt Fran is cute and her personality pretty adorable.

Fran has that loli enthusiasm. Her "Oooh" gives off Renge (Non Non Biyori) vibes, and her "Waku Waku" for adventures is similar to Anya's (Spy X Family).

Anya/Borf have a co-dependant relationship, and if you imagine Renge got isekai'ed and had to make her way home, while Candy Store got turned into a sword/encyclopedia, this would be it.

Episode 05

-----------------------

Cliffhanger occurred right after the demon used Skill Taker, but if he used it on Fran (who is merely sharing skills with Teacher), would it even work? I'm hoping it doesn't, and that that would the the crutch that allows Fran to beat an otherwise much higher demon than she'd be able to take on normally.

The flow of the battle was weird. Fran learned to be careful, but then they rush forward for curry. The demon had already acknowledged that he was weaker than her in sword skills but indulged her again anyway. I feel that if the hand swiping moment was meant to instill growth, it hasn't exactly worked.

Fran's "must push forward" mentality has gotten her off ground-zero, but she needs to keep herself alive.
    Last edited by Buffalobiian; Sat, 10-29-2022 at 08:05 AM.

I'm sticking with SubsPlease and the official Japanese release, instead of the Chinese early broadcast, so I'll be a week behind from now if Buff is gonna watch the early releases.

Did my previous post disappear, or did I forget to hit post?

There's a post in the Chainsaw Man thread that is probably it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu View Post
    I'm sticking with SubsPlease and the official Japanese release, instead of the Chinese early broadcast, so I'll be a week behind from now if Buff is gonna watch the early releases.
    Yeah, I'll also keep watching SubsPlease.

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthEnderX View Post
    Did my previous post disappear, or did I forget to hit post?
    Yeah, you posted in the wrong thread and the answer is that subsplease download from a source that is late by a week compared to others.

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

Quote Originally Posted by David75 View Post
    Yeah, you posted in the wrong thread and the answer is that subsplease download from a source that is late by a week compared to others.
    Kinda. BiliBili is a week ahead of Japan for some unconscionable contract reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu View Post
    There's a post in the Chainsaw Man thread that is probably it.
    Oh dear!

Cliffhanger occurred right after the demon used Skill Taker, but if he used it on Fran (who is merely sharing skills with Teacher), would it even work? I'm hoping it doesn't, and that that would the the crutch that allows Fran to beat an otherwise much higher demon than she'd be able to take on normally.

The flow of the battle was weird. Fran learned to be careful, but then they rush forward for curry. The demon had already acknowledged that he was weaker than her in sword skills but indulged her again anyway. I feel that if the hand swiping moment was meant to instill growth, it hasn't exactly worked.
    I'm trying to write the weirdness in the fight under "they both are noobs and arrogant", but it's kind of difficult. Why didn't they kill the goblin summoner first? It was a weakling thing that could have been one-shotted. Doesn't everyone know to try to remove the summoner first, only then try to fight the summoned beast, if at all possible? On the other hand, if a skill's name is Skill Taker, it shouldn't take a Sherlock, not even a Derrick, to figure out what the skill is going to do, most likely. But then again, it's Japanese, so I guess the kanji for "skill taker" could also mean "quacking duck", or whatever.

At the end of the day, Fran is still a kid, like those other adventurers noted, and the sword is too powerful for its own good: it grew arrogant, believing it can handle every situation with ease. Thus, when a surprisingly challenging situation occurs, it hasn't really got any experience, instincts, or mental faculties to deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco View Post
    At the end of the day, Fran is still a kid, like those other adventurers noted, and the sword is too powerful for its own good: it grew arrogant, believing it can handle every situation with ease.
    In fairness, he SHOULD have been able to in this situation. It's obviously unusual that this demon is so many classes higher than everything else in the dungeon, including the boss that summoned it.

And when the fight started going badly, he tried to get her to teleport out. But she's not havin' it.

Episode 6

- - -- --

This was quite a good fight, all in all, if you ignore how it took ages for the Sword to notice that killing the summoner usually gets rid of the summoned creatures, even more so in this case where the summoner could only summon the demon due to being the dungeon master.

Quite convenient that they need a test subject for the skill taker, and then the next moment an obnoxious test subject appears on its own. Assuming that thing has any skills worth stealing.

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    Episode 6 was last week... Episode 7 was some hours ago.

Maybe some gotwooters should try new sources

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

Let me know if you guys start watching the latest sources. Otherwise I'm posting my impressions one week later.

I did feel sorry for the Demon. He was a pretty good sport all and all, but then we decided to take his summoner hostage. Yes he wanted to kill a town and thus he is morally bad etc.
    Last edited by Buffalobiian; Wed, 11-09-2022 at 09:27 PM.

I did feel sorry for the Demon. He was a pretty good sport all and all, but then we decided to take his summoner hostage. Yes he wanted to kill a town and thus he is morally bad etc.
    No need to feel sorry for him. If he had been desummoned by killing the summoner, then he might be miserable, but now he died like a real warrior because he died in combat, before the summoner. Sure, he was forced into a defensive position before that, to shield the goblin, but for most of the fight Fran had been in that position, under the demon's superior firepower, so it was nothing unfair.

I'm just glad Fran got scolded for rushing ahead without the rest of the part and caused more of a danger to herself and everyone else for doing so. She deserved that.

As for the episode sources...no thanks. The translation on the early chinese broadcast is notably worse. I'm sticking with the Japanese air date.