Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Oshi no Ko

Awesome user with default custom title neflight86's Avatar
    Okay, I know the story demanded that he save her so I'm not surprised by that, but Kraco's explanation fills the gaps well enough to satisfy me on a plausibility level.

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    The narration was done by Aqua in fine detail about how she was falling deep into the flamepit. I was more wondering wether they'd let her die or have her rescued, I made the link with her short apparence in the OP, but was not sure which route they'd chose.
    To me the show could work either way, since Ai was killed and we've had her full last moments.
    So Akane's suicide used for the show was possible.
    But Aqua saving her was also possible and better meshes with the idea Aqua should start to save lives, as he was a doctor but didn't save neither Sarina's, nor his own life. I can't blame him for Ai though.

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

Aaand I'm caught up. Fwiw, the 9-score on MAL is nevertheless ridiculous, but it's fun to watch anime for sure.

My biggest fear since the twist of episode 1 is, however, that Aqua will not actually kill their father and that that piece of shit gets away thanks to some excuse. EVEN if he wasn't responsible for Ai's death, best case scenario is that he left his children knowingly alone for their entire lifetime. There's no non-bs answer that would make this okay. As much as I enjoyed watching these episodes, if the father gets away with it or even turns out to be a "nice" guy, it'd probably ruin the entire story for me. This asshole must pay.

As for episode 6, normally I'd be upset that a show wouldn't let a character die. It's the usual choice. However, her suicide was telegraphed so much that her being saved was actually the more surprising outcome, so I'm okay with it. And Aqua being the savior gave me chills, lol, dunno why.

And yeah, it's convenient how he found her and all, but I agree that you *can* find some explanation if you take into account Aqua's detective nature, so that's that.

Thx for the recommendation, guys.

"She's the only non-loli girl in the show, your honor!" will be my defense in court

Oh, and Aqua being a stalker again... explains why he was there :-)

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

Quote Originally Posted by MFauli View Post
    My biggest fear since the twist of episode 1 is, however, that Aqua will not actually kill their father and that that piece of shit gets away thanks to some excuse.
    I don't want the man to get away with it, but I most certainly don't want Aqua to kill him. What the heck. He would be a murderer after that. At least I see in the story a conscious attempt to make Aqua live this second life for real, not just for revenge. He's surrounded by people trying their best and working hard to succeed in their dreams, but Aqua himself is only living for the past and the dead. At least he's also working hard as a side effect, which is a big plus. I do want him to find the biological father, whether he's the culprit or not, but I also want the dude take his life seriously for his own sake. Becoming a couple with Kana would be a nice bonus.

Harrumph... It's always so difficult to use the name "Kana" to refer to anime characters. "Kana" means chicken in Finnish.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco View Post
    He's surrounded by people trying their best and working hard to succeed in their dreams, but Aqua himself is only living for the past and the dead. At least he's also working hard as a side effect, which is a big plus. I do want him to find the biological father, whether he's the culprit or not, but I also want the dude take his life seriously for his own sake. Becoming a couple with Kana would be a nice bonus.
    This is the biggest difference between Aqua and Ruby at the moment.

She's moving forward and on with her new life, finally able to realize the dreams she was denied in the last one, while Aqua is tormented, mired in, and honestly held back by his revenge plot.

He's had tons of direct tutoring from a talented director, done loads of backstage work since he was an elementary schooler, but he has this isolating legitimately insane focus that's holding him back on everything else. He can't enjoy acting (even though Ai dreamed that he would). He sucks at making friends despite being good at making professional connections.

But it never seems like he enjoys himself...ever.

Maybe only when he's teasing 'Loli-senpai' with his sister.

I don't want the man to get away with it, but I most certainly don't want Aqua to kill him. What the heck. He would be a murderer after that.
    If he actually got Ai killed, I'd give it a pass.

If he's just a deadbeat dad, then that'd be...excessive.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu View Post
    She's moving forward and on with her new life, finally able to realize the dreams she was denied in the last one, while Aqua is tormented, mired in, and honestly held back by his revenge plot.
    To be fair, Ruby didn't have to watch Ai get brutally murdered.
    Last edited by DarthEnderX; Fri, 05-19-2023 at 09:26 PM.

I don't want the man to get away with it, but I most certainly don't want Aqua to kill him. What the heck. He would be a murderer after that. At least I see in the story a conscious attempt to make Aqua live this second life for real, not just for revenge. He's surrounded by people trying their best and working hard to succeed in their dreams, but Aqua himself is only living for the past and the dead. At least he's also working hard as a side effect, which is a big plus. I do want him to find the biological father, whether he's the culprit or not, but I also want the dude take his life seriously for his own sake. Becoming a couple with Kana would be a nice bonus.

Harrumph... It's always so difficult to use the name "Kana" to refer to anime characters. "Kana" means chicken in Finnish.

From what I gathered after the first episode, Aqua was about to commit suicide when Ai died, but then the thought of avenging Ai came to his mind and now his entire raison d'etre is to kill the bastard father.

Whatever happens, I just don't want some saccharine "oh, the dad is a good guy after all"-twist, because no matter what, no he's not a good guy.

"She's the only non-loli girl in the show, your honor!" will be my defense in court

because no matter what, no he's not a good guy.
    No matter what? What if he didn't even know about the kids?

Quote Originally Posted by DarthEnderX View Post
    No matter what? What if he didn't even know about the kids?
    He did, though? She literally called him on the phone in one scene.

IF he didn't know, then Ai would be a dumb slut and it'd ruin the entire anime.

Would that mean Aqua is using the wrong phone ? Oh, or just that the call history was so short the number was not there anymore.

He did, though? She literally called him on the phone in one scene.
    Oh right, I forgot about that.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by David75 View Post
    Would that mean Aqua is using the wrong phone ? Oh, or just that the call history was so short the number was not there anymore.
    We don't have direct evidence that she called him using that phone. We're presuming the dad's number resides in that phone, but what we saw was that she called a person about the kids using a public payphone. Aqua not finding the dad's number in that phone would not surprise me.

Quote Originally Posted by MFauli
    And Aqua being the savior gave me chills, lol, dunno why.
    Because he's got his "Black Star" activated, meaning he's motivated by revenge right now for whatever reason. From the artistic cue, it's suggesting that his reason for saving her is not entirely altruistic.

And he found her because he's doing his "reading intent" thing. MEM and him were worried about her.

The ED's a banger. The OP has that discordant vibe to it, but the ED is what hypes me up for the next ep.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Had the urge to rewatch the ending scene just now.

What makes it so impactful is that due to how this show started and isn't shy of killing characters, the expectation really was: Yeah, this Akane-girl is a random, unimportant side character, she will now die and this is gonna be a trigger event for the story so that other, more important characters can grow.
    But then Aqua saves her. And suddenly, as if Neo came and changed the Matrix, EVERYTHING changes, because now Akane is not anyone, but someone. Her being saved came unexpected and gave life to a new, now important character. And it makes everything that's coming less predictable.

Really good writing on that part.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Episode 07

--------------------

Because he's got his "Black Star" activated, meaning he's motivated by revenge right now for whatever reason. From the artistic cue, it's suggesting that his reason for saving her is not entirely altruistic.
    And I'm wrong again. It was just lighting/charisma at play.

"I'm... good at acting. I'll give it a shot."

Akane profiling Ai, then becoming her was scary as fuck. And professional. I'm going to struggle to see how this works on camera though since the audience has already seen a season of how she acts. Doing something so completely different can't be seen as natural or genuine. Faking authenticity is the whole idea of these shows.

edit: forgot to mention that wall..

Last edited by Buffalobiian; Wed, 05-24-2023 at 11:09 AM.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

that's a lot of chromo printer paper... can't be cheap to print out all the photos.

if Ai was an active idol, it would be easy to find magazines with her photos, but the library won't let her destroy stuff from 15 years ago...

sig made by Itachi-y2k5, thanks, dude!
    Currently Watching: probably a show directed at 9 years old girls, lets be honest.

You know the important distinction between Batman and me? Batman is fictional. In real life, there isn't always an alternative.

Awesome user with default custom title neflight86's Avatar
    That ending scene was more hype than anything Demon Slayer has put out this season.

Akane is going to be a great addition, and her psyche-profiling gave us some good insight into Ai's life that I don't think we got a clear picture of before.

I admit I had teary eyes when AI ressurected through Akane's acting.
    Akane is now becoming useful. Her profiling is something Aqua might need to find his father.

Damn, I couldn't even have imagined this kind of plot development. It was funnier because Aqua dismissed the whole idea of someone imitating Ai, yet was so shocked by the result. It's no wonder Akane has been called an excellent theater actor a couple of times now. She has the skills and dedication to really become someone else for a play, even if her own personality is just too nonexistent for a show. The way she analysed and researched Ai got some psycho vibes.

It's not necessarily a huge problem if she's quite different suddenly. After all, everybody knows she attempted suicide and was absent for an episode (or a few). The audience would rather have expected her to not come back at all or to come back with a visible difference, I'd say. Although I suppose a difference this huge might not have been expected.

I can't help but feel Kana was talking through the fourth wall a little bit by saying Akane not dropping out might not be good for Kana herself. If Akane captures Aqua's attention like nobody ever has, because of her Ai impersonation, Akane's existence next to Aqua ought to fade.

Omg, that ending scene was so hype It was 99% predictable, but seeing it happen plus Aqua's reaction was priceless. Akane's investigation that went so deep that she actually got close to what happened to Ai for real was crazy, haha. I really hope she joins their idol group. Can't wait to see more of her. I also wonder if there's a downside to her Ai-mode, like, maybe she can only hold it for a short time or so, because otherwise Ruby is screwed, lol.