Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Oshi no Ko

I'm not sure I understand the whole "who will be center" discussion. Doesn't Ruby HAVE TO be it? She wanted to be the new super star in the vein of her mother and idol. I never entertained anyone else but her. If she's just a side-girl within the new B Komachi, then how she's gonna achieve her goal?

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian View Post
    I tried to figure out the similarities between Kana and MEM, since Ruby put them into the "type of girls my brother likes", based on the fact that he invited them to joint B Komachi. Appearance aside (short hair), I only got as far as that they're somewhat insightful and not ditzes or overly naive and girly.

Similarity: They all know what failure/defeat is. (plus, they're hot, lol)

"She's the only non-loli girl in the show, your honor!" will be my defense in court

Quote Originally Posted by MFauli View Post
    I'm not sure I understand the whole "who will be center" discussion. Doesn't Ruby HAVE TO be it? She wanted to be the new super star in the vein of her mother and idol. I never entertained anyone else but her. If she's just a side-girl within the new B Komachi, then how she's gonna achieve her goal?
    It's not like she can tell the other two that only she can be the center piece. Of course now Kana said she's not interested, but Ruby is actually a pretty idealisic, naive girl, so it might be difficult for her to give her all as the main idol of the group if she knows Kana is actually much better and more deserving. MEM, however, is as serious as Ruby is, so she can't simply be pushed aside. They didn't join to merely become Ruby's helpers or sidekicks. If Ruby wants to be the main girl, she needs to beat and convince the other two.

Awesome user with default custom title neflight86's Avatar
    Love how they handled the 'center' discussion and reveal. A cynical and frustrating girl, indeed.

The deadpan delivery of the prestigious girl was a welcome surprise, and I'm glad it won't be the last we see of her. It's too bad Kana doesn't see the forest for the trees when it comes to Aqua, but I suppose part of being in love is letting your emotions cloud your rational judgement to a degree.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco View Post
    It turns out the producer didn't know all that much. He might be onto something with the theater group, but it's obviously not what he thinks.
    Why do you think that? Is it because of the timing? She may not have conceived until after leaving the place, but she still could have met someone there, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by neflight86 View Post
    Why do you think that? Is it because of the timing? She may not have conceived until after leaving the place, but she still could have met someone there, I think.
    He said Ai fell in love in the theater group. We know she didn't recognise the emotion of love until the moment she was bleeding to death. So, the producer is assuming there must be such a significant person somewhere out there, but we know Ai just needed someone to inseminate her. Of course there could have, potentially, been a little more to it than that, such as trying to judge whether the man was at all trustworthy, but there was no love since she was incapable of it.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Before the reality show started, the producer said he knew Ai was seeing a guy behind her production company's back. "Know" and "presume to know" are different things I suppose, but that's what he's getting at anyway.

While I don't think Akane is a good partner for Aqua, I do like her overall and I'm glad this gives a reason for Aqua to actually mix into her circle instead of just asking her to profile Ai.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

From a narrative perspective, obviously, she's the main character, she should be the lead.

But from a logical perspective...if she's not a good singer, it wouldn't make sense for her to be the lead.

The center is obviously the most critical to a idol group's success. Especially in the huge groups, the center actually has to be talented, while the others can be merely eye candy and get maybe one real line in a given song.

If a group's center sucks at something (e.g. Ruby and singing), then they won't obtain or retain any fans because they don't have any talent. They're just pretty girls bouncing around on stage. They won't have any longevity. So their center needs to be the best in the group at singing, dancing, and interacting with the audience while they're on stage to maximize their engagement.

B Komachi is a small enough group that the center doesn't overshadow the rest of the group, so it's not like Ruby won't get focus time. Ai was a good example of someone so domineering in her stage presence that the other members of B Komachi aren't named at all. Like the enormous idol groups, they don't matter and often rotate out. The revived B Komachi is a bit more equal.

He might still be hiding stuff. he probably didn't lie and told the truth about the theater time, but it's possible that he has suspicions or thoughts that he kept to himself. maybe he talked to Ai over the phone and heard something. saying that Ai was involved in the theater is possibly industry knowledge so he doesn't mind sharing it, but if he and Ai talked in private outside of work, then that's much more sensitive information, and he'd only share it with someone he trusts and for business advantage.

edit:
    Aqua's type:
    - hot/cute
    - hiding a sharp tongue / vicious personality
    - failed at least once and got back up.

this covers Kana, Mem, but also Akane and Ruby.

Episode 10

-------------------

lol, are the subs trolling or something? One week they go with OP/ED translations and the other week they'll go with romanji. I didn't think Aqua had that much stamina to do Pieyon's workouts.

I didn't expect Ruby to actually love her doctor. Interesting dynamics. I don't see a love triangle starting here though, since they're already family now.
    Last edited by Buffalobiian; Wed, 06-21-2023 at 12:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian View Post
    I didn't think Aqua had that much stamina to do Pieyon's workouts.
    He didn't really need to do Pieyon's real workout, he just needed to last as long as the girls. Since he's a fit guy, I don't see how it would be a problem: Men are naturally stronger than women, after all.

It's funny that during this ep I started to think Pieyon must be Aqua, but I couldn't figure out how the dude could possibly have time for that. It's Pieyon's full career (or at least a significant side job), so there's no way Aqua would have all that time available, even if he could use the money. The answer was quite obvious, naturally, when it was revealed.

I can't say awfully lot would have happened in this episode, but it did build those girls' characters, especially Kana's. It was also a good step in fixing Kana and Aqua's relationship, hopefully.

1. Aqua looked really buff when first exiting to the balcony.
    2. Kana wears a shirt with 'baking soda" written on it, I guess it's a nod to how Ruby kept calling her "girl who'll drink baking soda" all the time.
    3. a lot of weird scenes with mirrors, but it doesn't seems to have any meaning to the situation. and the one time that it would make sense they didn't have it (aqua should have been watching Kana through the mirror when talking to piyon)
    4. background shift for the dramatic dialog with Ruby and Kana. it suddenly looks like an airport.
    5. Ruby was 12, the doctor was the only "youngish" man she knew, her only options were either even older doctors (who were less likely to entertain her weird behavior) or sick patients (young and old).
    6. Piyon's audience is elementary school children (same as the audience for Kana's bell pepper workout), it's supposed to be "a healthy level of exercise", and he doesn't need to do it with them everyday.
    7. Miyako most likely knew it was aqua, she knows that he likes to wear disguises (when he "scouted" the girl from the group ruby was about to join). she thinks there is something wrong with him.
    8. I remembered a thing I heard in some anime, they said there that unrequired lovers are reborn as twins. am I remembering this correctly? is this odd?

Also, remember the early 2000s? we would get karaoke OP with kanji, English and romanji so we could sing along. that was the best times.

sig made by Itachi-y2k5, thanks, dude!
    Currently Watching: probably a show directed at 9 years old girls, lets be honest.

You know the important distinction between Batman and me? Batman is fictional. In real life, there isn't always an alternative.

I like to imagine that Aqua was on the verge of death while running together with the girls, wearing that sweaty costume

There's gonna be another season, right? No way we'll have a concert performance AND Aqua resolving the Ai-murder case next week.

One slight bummer: When Arima turned towards the camera at the very end, I had hoped that she got "special eyes", too. Not necessarily the same shape as Ai's and her children, but something that emphasized how ready she is now.

"She's the only non-loli girl in the show, your honor!" will be my defense in court

Awesome user with default custom title neflight86's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kraco View Post
    It's funny that during this ep I started to think Pieyon must be Aqua, but I couldn't figure out how the dude could possibly have time for that. It's Pieyon's full career (or at least a significant side job), so there's no way Aqua would have all that time available, even if he could use the money. The answer was quite obvious, naturally, when it was revealed.
    Same. A good fake out that held my attention, was novel, and its answer 'fell into place' in hindsight.

I'm surprised Mrs. Owner never made moves on Piyon, as he should be just her type, going by ep 1. Maybe he's already married?

1. Aqua looked really buff when first exiting to the balcony.
    I thought he was deliberately puffing out his chest, but otherwise appeared slim elsewhere (arms etc).

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    I don't remember Piyeon wearing a jersey, but rather showing all of his body bar his head.
    That was my first surprise/doubt.

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

There's gonna be another season, right? No way we'll have a concert performance AND Aqua resolving the Ai-murder case next week.

One slight bummer: When Arima turned towards the camera at the very end, I had hoped that she got "special eyes", too. Not necessarily the same shape as Ai's and her children, but something that emphasized how ready she is now.
    The manga is quite a bit further along, and I'll just say that even a 3rd season wouldn't resolve the revenge plot.

Kana has always had special eyes too, just different from the stars. More like an entire galaxy set within her pupils when she's in her element (acting).

Episode 11

----------------

Good finale. Not blood pumping, but enjoyable and had an appropriate level of closure for stuff we've been exposed to so far
    --Kana's stumps and motivations.
    --MEM's aspirations.
    --Ruby/Aqua getting into the industry and their various motivations for doing so.

Aqua wielding the sticks was a good throwback to when he and Ruby did it at Ai's concert. Pro level moves.

Nice fakeout with the sticks too. There were white in the audience. Kana just couldn't see it through her low self esteem.

Glad to see Kana being happy again after all this. Mitsuki's assist there was noted.

I find Akane quite earnest and sweet, so while I liked seeing her around I did feel bad that she's never going to make it with Aqua (I guess it's a consenting work relationship now and no one's expecting any different). That was all until I saw that she can get (just a little) bitchy with Kana. Now I'm just grabbing the popcorn for season 2.
    Last edited by Buffalobiian; Wed, 06-28-2023 at 11:05 AM.

One of the worst season finales I've ever seen. Not even a cliffhanger. Just ending the episode like it's a mid-season episode and now we have to hope and wait for another season that might not be coming for over a year. Sucks :/

PS: Akane > Arima

I didn't expect such a history between Akane and Kana. It would be quite a blow to Akane if Aqua actually started going out with Kana for real, after Akane's own relationship with Aqua turned out to mean nothing romantic for Aqua. Since I supported the baking soda girl as soon as she reappeared, I don't have particular sympathies for Akane, as far as her romantic aspirations go, but due to that historical complication, I do feel a bit bad for her.

That was a pretty good start for the idol group, with Kana finally mentally getting into it being one of the most important details. More experienced idol otaku already could see through her lack of personal motivation during the first song, but likewise could also detect her change. She would have hurt the other two's success as well if she had remained uninspired. Aqua really knew what he was doing.

the concert animation was gangbusters, completely rock, should have been the OP.

1. another weird mirror scene, why is it like that?
    2. the old man idol fan said the exact thing ruby said about Kana having a face Otakus love.
    3. those are really large trays of food for the two producers, aren't people supposed to opposite of each other? why the diagonal?
    4. waste 1: they should have followed up on the idol who went to see their show, it would have filled up two more minutes
    5. a bit anti-climactic, the concert ended and they have to rush to set up the next arc.
    6. waste 2: ruby in the cemetery should have been the ending roll instead of credits, it has a good "book end" vibes and will resonate with another scene.
    7. this is really a mid-season marking. not a season finale.

really looking forward for the next part!