Thread: Megami no Cafe Terrace

Awesome user with default custom title neflight86's Avatar

Megami no Cafe Terrace

285934.jpg

"* Based on a romantic comedy manga by Seo Kouji.

When Hayato's grandmother passed, he planned to sell her rundown café on the shore—not realizing that it was also home to five young women who call themselves her family?! Their desperation to keep the café open convinces Hayato to give it a shot...but even their best intentions might not be enough to make it work! And can he even work with these five unruly women? No matter what, he's got his work cut out for him!

Source: Kodansha"

Genre(s): Romance/Harem, Comedy, Drama, Ecchi

1-2

Megami no Terrace has a few small things in its favor that add up big time to make a pretty decent ecchi harem.

Firstly, by aging the characters all up by a simple two years above the average distribution, they are all clearly adults and unchained by the dreaded high school setting; halleluiah! Aside from that, the character tropes and dynamics really don't change much- meaning harems being set in high school are redundant, which I've grumbled about for years. Do the thing with adults: the story is the same either way!

Number two, while there is a clear power imbalance of Hayato having the final say on the fate of the cafe, the girls aren't feeble, doting maidens who's love and life center on this newly introduced male. The palpable distain and ill-will from the first (invariably poor) encounter carries on and navigating their relationships together enriches the story so much more than they had to. Don't get me wrong- this ain't no Shakespeare, but I appreciate that the universe doesn't feel like it was made for our self-insert character and that makes the doki doki hit harder.

Sparse animation, but some attractive character designs make for an overall pleasing look as well, and yes, there is the obligatory fanservice.

If you are looking for a recommendation, well... it ain't isekai?

I cannot believe this guy keeps getting adapations.

I have heard the characters described as, "three of the girls blend into one big Narusegawa bitchball," which both proves how painfully dated the writing is but is also very funny.

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    I might have a different opinion later but for now it is boring, ugly and uninspiring to me

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu View Post
    I cannot believe this guy keeps getting adapations.
    You had me thinking this was the "Love Hina" guy. Looking at his works, none of them are exceptionally bad, and this is plenty good for me so far. Looks like I'm alone on this one...

3-11

Still plenty good enough for what this is. I miss a good old fashioned harem, and this is that. There was even a saguka breakdown scene in episode 9 that went hard and worked pretty well. This is a simple transaction of a show that seems in short order lately (harem + fanservice), so I'm glad to continue watching the lightly sprinkled drama and comedy.

One thing that sticks out is that all of the girls have roughly the same exact body- height, bust, and all. This is for reasons unknown highlighted in the (great) OP. Only their hair and faces vary. I wonder if that is an artifact of the cheap adaptation?

Second season confirmed for next year

They did the thing like the quintuplets where they showed he married one of 'em in the flash forward. Going by his daughter's hair color and academic struggles... its not much of a stretch to guess who won... Good taste, my boy.