Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Oshi no Ko

https://myanimelist.net/news/69439836

Alright, we'll get a 2nd season, so that makes me a bit more forgiving. Still, I hope it doesn't make a longer break than for one cour :/

"She's the only non-loli girl in the show, your honor!" will be my defense in court

Quote Originally Posted by MFauli View Post
    PS: Akane > Arima
    gtfo.

They not even hiding it anymore that Kana and Aqua like each other, mutually and genuinely. Ruby knew it all along. Best Ditz MEM finally figured it out. Miyako knew all along.

Kana is the only girl who can break Aqua's facade without creating an acted personality. Yes, yes, all people do it, but Kana has always shown him her true self and he's interested because of it.

Akane grew her hair back considerably in the time that she and Aqua haven't met. It's been months. MEM called it, Akane doesn't have much of a chance unless she really starts trying harder.

Akane is also very obviously the loser of their professional rivalry too. Didn't take much for Kana to put Akane into quivering rage. It's subtle, but Akane confirmed it too: Kana is also a better actor. This is coming from someone who most producers call a genius. Akane is considered by most in the business to be a much better stage actor than most of her peers, but Akane considers Kana to be the truly gifted one.

Kana just got screwed by the timing in recent years. Her big roles were when she was a child, and she got typecast. Then her mother and agencies abandoned her when the roles dried up. Akane confirmed that Kana didn't beat her by being pushed harder by Kana's old agency, but that Akane lost numerous times to Kana from talent. Akane got slotted into the theater troupe circuit and got to slowly hone her craft while Kana mired in what she could get as a freelancer.

What Akane is hinting at is that if Kana hadn't been tossed aside for being a child actor, Kana would probably be an untouchable top star. Kana may have gotten eclipsed in the past few years, but Akane is actually afraid of Kana while Kana is her normal arrogant self who hates to lose to anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Death BOO Z View Post
    4. waste 1: they should have followed up on the idol who went to see their show, it would have filled up two more minutes
    5. a bit anti-climactic, the concert ended and they have to rush to set up the next arc.
    Huge waste. That's honestly one of my favorite one-shot arcs in the manga. Baffling to me that they would cut it despite mentioning Mana by name.

I'm shocked they dove right into the theater arc. It's such a slog.
    (FYI for non-manga readers, it is 26+ chapters long, which ended up being almost longer than the previous teen Ruby/Aqua arcs combined and the later chapters coming with an apology/thanks to readers for being patient with how long it was running).
    So, on the other hand, I'm also not surprised that they are already substantially compressing it down where they can.
    Last edited by Ryllharu; Wed, 06-28-2023 at 06:53 PM.

@Ryll: So basically you're saying Akane is the hard-worker while Kana is a genius. Yeah, I'll keep rooting for Akane <3

Fwiw, I'm not sure either of them will "win", because Aqua has such a clear, mono-thematic goal. Plus he seems to have a dumb morality where he's like "oh no, I'm actually much older, it's wrong to date a high school girl". Which is bs, ofc, but seems to get in the way.

I agree that Kana is at advantage for now, she has more genuine moments with Aqua. But surprisingly, the anime did NOT paint Akane as the definitive loser yet. They leave it open imo, and Akane, in line with her hard worker-attitude, has not yet even started to fight for Aqua's heart.

Points in her favor:
    - can help him investigate the case
    - can perfectly mimic Ai

Although the latter could easily backfire, ofc, because 1) an act is just an act, 2) Ai was Aqua's mother, oedipus much, 3) Aqua loves Ai as a fan, not with his dick, from what we've seen (gay).

So, yeah, Akane is at a huge disadvantge right now. But this anime has thrown us some curve balls and maybe we'll be surprised again.

"She's the only non-loli girl in the show, your honor!" will be my defense in court

@Ryll: So basically you're saying Akane is the hard-worker while Kana is a genius. Yeah, I'll keep rooting for Akane <3
    That's the theme of their professional rivalry, yes.

Next season will cover it.

edit: They also use opposing schools of acting, which has been hinted at this season.
    Last edited by Ryllharu; Wed, 06-28-2023 at 07:23 PM.

How is Kana not a hard worker if she was tossed aside by the agent and started to, basically, be her own agent by fighting tooth and nail to get any relevant jobs, even if they seemed to be against her personality or were demeaning (like that live action adaptation, where not even the director was expecting any real acting from the actors, because most of the cast weren't, in fact, actors and had no interest in acting). Meanwhile Akane has indeed worked hard as well, but pretty safely by following the professionals' instructions and guidance. When she finally encountered a situation, which was just like a regular day for Kana, as used as she is for shitty jobs, it almost drove Akane to a suicide.

Kana might have been a genius child actor, as far as very young child actors go, but afterwards she has achieved her (limited) success with hard work. Not to mention her genius days were also crushed quite early when she ancountered Aqua. That was the moment she stopped believing in her own genius.

Awesome user with default custom title neflight86's Avatar
    The cold stop caught me off guard, especially if there was some more fitting padding, like material mentioned in previous posts that could have been more interesting than a recap/aqua mission statement.

That said, bravo! This officially has me enraptured with these characters and I'm stoked to see where this goes. Glad for confirmation of a second season so soon. Will be watching.