Thread: Jidouhanbaiki ni Umarekawatta Ore wa Meikyuu o Samayou

Awesome user with default custom title neflight86's Avatar

Jidouhanbaiki ni Umarekawatta Ore wa Meikyuu o Samayou

289645.jpg

"* Based on an isekai fantasy light novel written by Hirukuma and illustrated by Katou Itsuwa.

A middle-aged man with only one passion in his life meets a fitting end in a traffic accident. That's where most stories would end, but instead, this is when his story begins when he's reborn as what he admired the most in life--a vending machine! But his new lease on life(?) happens in the worst place possible--what can a vending machine do in a monster-infested dungeon when he can't speak or even move on his own?"

Genre(s): Isekai

1-2

Vending machine isekai... is it better if I lament on the state of humankind, meme on what is obviously PEAK FICTION, question the broken creative process that must have conspired to birth this or... just talk about the show?

As Bakuman once posited, the most important part of a story is for it to be interesting, and so far this almost that. It strikes a palatable (pun) balance of not taking itself too seriously while imposing problems that only a magic vending machine in a dungeon could handle. Some small hooks are there about magic tools and their creation, but I'm beyond dubious that this story will have legs (pun) beyond simple slice of life for this season. Some of the ideas are neat, like limiting his speech to some pre-recorded phrases that thankfully his best customer/guardian picks up on quickly, and his trash self-cleans for a dose of eye rolling convenience. In the end this is just another 'modern Japanese comforts in a medieval world' show, so take this praise with a grain of salt... I wouldn't coin it (pun) as a fantasy adventure just yet. At least it won't become a harem.... right?

Bored after 2 eps. Dropped.

I thought eps 3 was a lot better than eps 2.

It's a light-hearted and stupid isekai, but uses the restrictions the vending machine has in an interesting way. There's still some OP abilities like changing the entire machine to dispense different goods, but they haven't gotten as ridiculous as Turned Into a Sword Isekai or anything in the generic trash ones. He can't move on his own and still needs their direct help with anything he dispenses. He can't cast magic alongside his wielder, graft on thematically different abilities, and even causes problems (like the currency shortage he caused).

It ultimately ends up being about all the people around Boxxo and the way he improves their lives, while also being entirely dependent upon them for his own survival.

Call me when he turns into a panty machine.

He already has.

Oh...I see.

Jidouhanbaiki-ni-Umarekawatta Curiously Blank.png
    Episode 3

Curiously blank packages below the men's underwear as a bathhouse vending machine. So you can tell what it was supposed to be.

---

Instead of wishing to be human, he should just wish for the ability to transform into a human.

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthEnderX View Post

---

Instead of wishing to be human, he should just wish for the ability to transform into a human.
    That's what I thought too.
    He'd probably only transform 2 hours a day until he levels up that detail too.

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

Quote Originally Posted by David75 View Post
    He'd probably only transform 2 hours a day until he levels up that detail too.
    I mean...depends how you word your wish.

Even then, 2 hours is probably all he needs.

He's some kind of shut-in, or at least a socially awkward kind of guy who even questions his will to become human again...
    So yes, 2 hours a day would be enough for him and Lammais, and then he can relax as a useful vending machine.

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

---

Tampon machine?

TAMPON MACHINE?!!

He's useful

Awesome user with default custom title neflight86's Avatar
    I once, as a wee lad, asked my father what a tampon was...

He looked around and said... "That's what you do when you see a bug. You tamp on it!"

That is all.

---

I mean...I GUESS a gasoline pump is a KIND of vending machine...

Why wouldn't you buy telekinesis a long time ago?!
    Last edited by DarthEnderX; Thu, 09-21-2023 at 12:48 AM.