290922.jpg

"* Based on a slice of life comedic manga by Yamada Hitsuji.

Saku is an ordinary young woman who works long hours and lives alone with her cat, Yukichi. Yukichi, however, is not an ordinary house cat. For one, the temperamental feline towers over Saku and walks around on two legs. Instead of playing with toy mice, he scours supermarket flyers for good deals and keeps the house spotless. With a pet like that, it’s hard to tell who’s taking care of who!

Source: Seven Seas Entertainment"

Genre(s): Slice of life, comedy, office

1-3

Apparently, its the big thing to dump all over Go Hands, as a studio, for having animation that is... far overreaching what they are capable of (ever since Handshakers). One look at this or the glasses one from this season should tip you off that their vision is somewhat... compromised when pen hits the paper, so to speak. That being said, I'll gladly take anime that tries to look visually unique over the 6th generic isekai slideshow each season, so I'm on board from a production perspective. It gets a bit wonkey and the fisheye/camera motion shots are pretty rough, but not distractingly so from a casual viewing perspective, and the ambitious perspective shots thin out by episode 3.

That baggage out of the way, what about the show itself? It's more fun than I expected. At first, it gave off the vibe of being an anti-marriage style story about how wage-slave happiness could easily be achieved with a convenient housemate, but the focus quickly shifted after the reveal of the cat's unique properties and size into a comedy about just how non-functional the main girl is. The cat openly laments about his position of house making for a 'worthless' human so she can continue to buy him canned cat food. Then, the story sort of centers itself on the harmonious relationship they actually have in that she selflessly saved him when he was a kitten even without the means to care for him properly. If you look at this as an allegory for a child taking care of their alcoholic parent, it really fits like a glove. Of course it never gets that dark, but the similarities are there, especially with the cat's exasperation with his owner. After three episodes, they've all but exhausted what can be done in the household, so I look forward to more office shenanigans.

Also, those open toe leg socks/stockings she wears at home are strangely alluring...