Thread: Ishura

Awesome user with default custom title neflight86's Avatar

Ishura

296754.jpg

"* Based on a battle fantasy light novel series writen by Keiso and illustrated by Kureta.

In a world where the Demon King has died, a host of demigods capable of felling him have inherited the world. A master fencer who can figure out how to take out their opponents with a single glance; a lancer so swift they can break the sound barrier; a wyvern rogue who fights with three legendary weapons at once; an all-powerful wizard who can speak thoughts into being; an angelic assassin who deals instant death. Eager to attain the title of "True Hero," these champions each pursue challenges against formidable foes and spark conflicts among themselves. The battle to determine the mightiest of the mighty begins.

Source: Yen Press"

Genre(s): Action, Fantasy

Research

Definitely read the synopsis before watching, because none of that is communicated in the first episode and it just plays out as edgy tragedy into salvation opener. A noncombatant girl's pov as her town is destroyed by a giant magic robot which is then destroyed by the cocksure swordsman that was... isekaied into this world (sigh). Kind of painfully 'been there done that', but the promise of a tournament has me intrigued at least.

Didn't expect the rogue wielding 3 legendary weapons to be an actual wyvern. Non humanoids being in the frey could be interesting. I'm not sold that these characters will manifest interesting fights once the tournament starts, though. As of now, I'm getting some Juuni Taisen vibes.

Still feels really random, everything. Overpowered characters, the show. Not a concept I like. But since I got Disney+, I'll probably keep watching.

Btw this episode made me realize that in German there's no word for "wyvern". We only have "Drache" and "Lindwurm", the former being a catch-all term and the latter meaning a wyrm with 2 legs, so not the usual kind of dragon. Whereas in english, "dragon" clearly means a creature with separate wings and arms and legs. A "wyvern" means a creature who doesn't have separate arms, but has wings for arms. Stupid german language. We usually have words for everything.

"She's the only non-loli girl in the show, your honor!" will be my defense in court

episode 3:

Still no idea what this is. Every episode is a self-contained episode so far. I assume they'll fight each other near the end? Either way, I'm close to dropping this, it's just not very creative and the episodic nature of the stories makes me not care a whole lot about the characters.

"She's the only non-loli girl in the show, your honor!" will be my defense in court

One thing's for sure: this is in no hurry to propel the core narrative, or at least the 'hook' of the tournament. I don't see how this can play out in 12 episodes when we've only been introduced to about 3 participants in as many episodes unless this is two cour.

Quote Originally Posted by MFauli View Post
    it's just not very creative and the episodic nature of the stories makes me not care a whole lot about the characters.
    I get the opposite. Yes, we have some isekais here as well as isekai items of questionable balance, but the wyvern's story and non human perspective got much more interesting this episode with the regimental culling and blind hime. If all of the commotion about this city-state's secession and intrigue with the bigger nation play into the tournament at all, this could get really interesting... but that is asking a lot of viewer's patience.

But what tournament? The swordguy from episode 1 is so over-the-top powerful that I cannot see any tournament that wouldn't end up with the destruction of the entire planet, lol.

I'm comfortable to call this little magic elf as the first to die. Her power seems the most imba so far, but in stories like these, they usually come with an unrelated weakness that is exploited to defeat them. Little elf girl is nice and probably doesn't want to hurt anyone. That hesitation I expect to get her killed in the first round (maybe a double KO).

I like how these introductions are also leading into each other. The wiped out secret service from last episode are 'backed' by an enigmatic bioweapon (waifu, of course) who we will maybe not see again until the tournament.

episode 9:

First, the biggest problem of this show is that it keeps moving the camera AWAY from any conflicts between IMPORTANT characters. Nobody cares about hundreds of cannon fodder enemies being killed, it's super boring, like watching a LetsPlay for a Musou-game.

Secondly: Fuck Alus. The anime tries to paint him as the hero in this battle, but I hated him from the start. He's got a convenient tool for EVERY situation, he KNOWS everything and he can DO everything. I was so rooting for Regnejeee who was clearly the underdog. THis anime does what so many recent anime do: Make the "heroes" overpowered and present them as "cool". This competely removes any tension and excitement, because the question no longer is "will the hero win?" and devolves to a lame "well, I wonder how the hero will win". :/

Again: Fuck Alus. I wanted to see him suffer and torn to shreds.

If named heroes don't start dying next episode, this anime will end on a really shitty note.

Episode 10:

Finally one more bites the dust, sigh.

I still don't know why the world wort-girl doesn't use her powers more frequently. Couldn't she literally do anything? Even revive dead people?

Episode 11:

Ahhh, finally. It felt so good to see that smug asshole die. Now's to hope that nobody revives him >_>