Thread: Majo to Yajuu

Awesome user with default custom title neflight86's Avatar

Majo to Yajuu

296485.jpg

"* Based on a dark fantasy battle manga by Satake Kousuke.

Ashaf: a soft-spoken man with delicate features, a coffin strapped to his back, and an entourage of black crows. Guideau: a feral, violent girl with long fangs and the eyes of a beast. This ominous pair appear one day in a town in thrall to a witch — a ruler with magic coursing through her tattooed body, who has convinced the townsfolk she's their hero. But Ashaf and Guideau know better. They live by one creed: "Wherever a witch goes, only curses and disasters follow." They have scores to settle, and they won't hesitate to remove anyone in their way, be it angry mob or army garrison.

Source: Kodansha"

Genre(s): Action, Supernatural

Research

It's an interesting twist, or at least an uncommon one, when prejudices are confirmed. In this case it is the notion that witches, in contrary to any counter evidence, can be safely assumed to be evil and up to no good. And that is borne out in the single most unfortunately timed anniversary for 400+ years. Not much to go on, big story-wise, except that the two mains are a kill squad- a very common fixture in anime since Hellsing- who track down witches for an equally shady organization. Not much to go on here, and the fights themselves were off in their own little world while the audience has no ideas what these powers are or how they might work and interact... *shrug*.

Also, let it be known that I loathe shabby, brute characters like Guideau being on the side of 'justice' or whatever. Those rough, 'fight first ask questions never' types always make me roll my eyes as they are outwitted, outfought, and invariably win anyway by sheer force of author discretion and a misapplication of the 'rule of cool', meaning... it's not. It's boring storytelling and I would prefer Guideau be killed off and replaced, or at least his/her attitude. That said, any kind of reaction might serve to keep me invested, so maybe it's a good thing?

It's a good adaptation.

I just don't like the source material, which I am up to date on before it went on hiatus. I read it because it gets very good reviews, but there's a lack of cohesiveness to the characters, narrative, and worldbuilding.

For how amazing the art is, and imaginative the setting, it's weirdly forgettable.

Awesome user with default custom title neflight86's Avatar
    I'll probably give it another episode or two before I feel the full brunt of this forgettableness you speak of.