Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dungeon Meshi / Dungeons Meals

---

Poor Falin. Can't catch a break...

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    So the intuition was using dragon flesh has consequences. First she was full of magic, a surprise to everyone in the party, and now we infer that her dragon side is probably on par or even stronger than her Falin side.

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    I wonder how much interplay there is between the fact that the dragon was a dungeon monster that was presumably created with ancient magic, and the fact that Maricelle used ancient magic to revive Falin. Normally you don't revive dungeon monsters, but she didn't exactly use a normal spell.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

---

The fact that Falin isn't in the new OP doesn't bode well for getting her back quickly.

Kabru pisses me off because he's creepy and also rather manipulative when he wants to be, but that's also why I like him as someone who's a potential villain vs our main group.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian View Post
    Kabru pisses me off because he's creepy and also rather manipulative when he wants to be, but that's also why I like him as someone who's a potential villain vs our main group.
    Yeah, it was funny when that one person in the group was like "You shouldn't make wild assumptions" after they'd just spent 10 minutes making a bunch of assumptions about Laios's group.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian View Post
    Kabru is without doubt a manipulative and sanctimonious psychopath. It is deeply troubling that he and several members of his party believe that he's the right person to conquer the dungeon and rule the island. That episode was a great example of Show Don't Tell because we got a full course of the type of person he is.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthEnderX View Post
    Yeah, it was funny when that one person in the group was like "You shouldn't make wild assumptions" after they'd just spent 10 minutes making a bunch of assumptions about Laios's group.
    That he's such a good judge of character is further proof that he's a psychopath, imo.

...Meanwhile, Shuro immediately quit the party and gathered his entire harem to rescue his crush, Falin. haha. The better part of the Shuro developments is that everyone in Laios' party already knew that Shuro had a ridiculously strong crush on Falin and just like...ignored it. Poor guy.

I continue to love the contrast between Laios' party and any others. Kabru and team thinks they're hot shit but Kabru doesn't know monster anatomy. They've died multiple times to monsters, but they're really good at killing humanoids. They're smart and make good plans and they fall apart when it counts. Others like the gnome couple are overly cautious and retreat frequently to keep themselves safe, though he abuses Namari as a meat shield or bait. Shuro's team has astonishingly good teamwork and fierce loyalty to their apparently high-ranking leader (and now we gotta wonder why he was with Laios' party solo to begin with). Then you have the Liaos party, who are all morons, but remarkably successful and resilient. They each have a specialty and trust each other with those skills.

And lastly, Senshi having no clue how old anyone is, is the funniest gag of episode 15. Senshi thinks Chilchuck is a child, but Mick's dialogue tells us Chilchuck has been around the island for quite a while and is one of the most influential members of the half-foot community.

This is how you do fantasy races interacting properly. Misalignment of perspectives!

Chilchuck's 40 or something and has a kid from memory.

---

I assume Falin is the little dragon.
    Last edited by DarthEnderX; Thu, 04-18-2024 at 11:25 PM.

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    I thought it was pretty clear the moment that tsun elf called her dragon when giving her orders.
    Somehow the show gets more and more intricate and what was a gallery of characters is starting to mesh into a nice story.

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

I assume Falin is the little dragon.
    She's been fused with the Big dragon, the little ones were made from just the red dragon's blood by the lunatic magician.

Shuro's retainers are a fun and dangerous crowd. We've got the Crane-wife styled lady, the oni, two ninjas I presume are sisters, and then finally the kuroko-robed one that the head retainer doesn't trust.

But Kabru is still the concerning one. At least Liaos has recognized on some inherent level that Kabru isn't trustworthy, but Shuro's kuroku retainer ruined it anyway with her apparent super-human hearing.

Maybe the most interesting part is the quiet lore drop again about the Western Elves. They aggressively punish Black Magic users. And now Kabru has leverage against Liaos' party.

Kabruu confronting Laios here is a great example of how you don't have to write characters to be stupid because they're not the main characters just to cause problems or move the plot along. Him instantly realizing the thing he was actually worried about was just a misunderstanding or something, in a way that doesn't actually de-escalate the situation at all, is just an absolutely perfect bit of writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Y View Post
    Him instantly realizing the thing he was actually worried about was just a misunderstanding or something, in a way that doesn't actually de-escalate the situation at all, is just an absolutely perfect bit of writing.
    "Well he didn't steal our treasure. But he did heresy with Black Magic. He gotta go."

"Well he didn't steal our treasure. But he did heresy with Black Magic. He gotta go."
    More like that he never thought Laios was fit conquer the dungeon in the first place and now has a means to ruin him or blackmail him.

I enjoy Maricelle's interval hairstyle changes, and even more that she stayed in the frog suit.

---

Characters make a lot of weird decisions in this show.

"I've been racing down here without food or sleep to save Falin."
    "You need to go back to the surface to get some food and sleep."
    "I'm going back to my country and never coming back."

I don't think Shuro thinks Falin can be saved, so he's just leaving.

---

Characters make a lot of weird decisions in this show.

"I've been racing down here without food or sleep to save Falin."
    "You need to go back to the surface to get some food and sleep."
    "I'm going back to my country and never coming back."
    The circumstances surrounding Falin have changed for the worse to such an extent he no longer believes it's possible to save her. He didn't know she was a giant monster chicken now or he wouldn't have come obviously. And on top of that even if they save her he thinks the elves of the west are going to arrest/kill everyone for dabbling in black magic, so he is doubly sure saving her is a waste of time.

Also also, the only reason he came on the adventure was to get some pussy, and now that Falin is a monster chicken he has given up his dream and is returning home.

Also also also all of this is in the episode pretty plainly.
    Last edited by Y; Tue, 04-30-2024 at 06:16 PM.