Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Book: What Book Are You Reading?

Just read Persepolis, really, really good book. Now I'm reading Guns, Germs, and Steel, its very insightful so far.

a fountain pourin' like an avalanche, comin' down the mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by Winged Dancer
    So now I'm re-reading Small Gods, Hogfather, and probably one more of the Discworld series. I'm sure Terry Pratchett doesn't qualify as unkwnown in the USA or England, but in Mexico I'm probably one of the few who has read (almost) everything the guy has...

Discworl is a great series, at least for me. It's the kind of book you can laugh out loud while reading, and (from my point of view) it offers, sometimes, a very harsh social critic - one you can always ignore, but that I like to think about.
    Just finished the first book from the Discworld set, "The Color of Magic", and I enjoyed it greatly. Funny, action-packed and a great blend of mysticism with funk weird medieval sci-fi staples. An excellent book and very that last part of Winged's post I found to be very true.

(thanks to comp for the recommendation).

It was surely a great change of pace after finishing Dostoevsky's The Brothers Karamazov which was quite good (if you can stand the way it's presented, which I just happen to love for some reason) but has a rather weak ending portion, which is a real shame.... The Idiot is still my fave Dostoevsky at this point... But, yes, I'll be sure to read my Discworld stuff in the future when I want a light sci-fi.

Humans are different from animals. We must die for a reason. Now is the time for us to regulate ourselves and reclaim our dignity. The one who holds endless potential and displays his strength and kindness to the world. Only mankind has God, a power that allows us to go above and beyond what we are now, a God that we call "possibility".

infidel
    I'm currently reading the Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson. Never read the book before, and my preconception of the book was completely off compared to what it actually is.

I will admit... I've read HP 7 :P
    ~The imprint is always there... Nothing is ever really forgotten...~
    ~Seduce my mind, and you can have my body
    Find my soul, and I'll be yours forever...~
    ~Signature made by Deadfire~

Quote Originally Posted by Iridani
    You along with 10,000,000 other people.

Too darn lazy to login, so just lurking in the shadows instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iridani
    I am currently reading that too, I'm at chapter 28 now.
    I'm a slow reader, so I read between 5 and 10 chapters a day.

Quote Originally Posted by BioAlien
    I am currently reading that too, I'm at chapter 28 now.
    I'm a slow reader, so I read between 5 and 10 chapters a day.
    Understandable... takes time to be able to read it quick. I did in 4-5 hours or something around distractions but will again.

And yes... with millions of others. Still a book :P

reading Terry Pratchett's (and another co-author's) Good Omens. It's about the end of the world, but all comical and zany. Sorta reminds me of Dogma, in a way... I enjoyed the Discworld books more than this one, however, as this has too many characters that aren't really all that exciting to read about and, well, it's just not apocalyptical enough until the Saturday chapter...

Humans are different from animals. We must die for a reason. Now is the time for us to regulate ourselves and reclaim our dignity. The one who holds endless potential and displays his strength and kindness to the world. Only mankind has God, a power that allows us to go above and beyond what we are now, a God that we call "possibility".

About to pick up Slaughterhouse Five and A Clockwork Orange, both supposed to be good reads.

Finished Hunter S. Thompson's "The Rum Diary". It's his first novel, started when he was just 22, but it really carries all the seeds and style that made him famous with his later works. It's a dark and depraved comedy about reporters in Puerto Rico during the late 1950's, and it makes you want to laugh and also give the next passerby in the street a mean punch in the kidney, cuz people are mostly scum, but somehow entertaining... It's a tale of listlessness, jealousy, exploitation and the dark refuge of alcohol.

At under 150 pages and devoid of big words or over-flowery details, it's a very quick read. It reminded me alot of 'The Sun Also Rises' but I could actually relate to the characters and, well, just more enjoyable in my eyes.

infidel
    I just started reading Tapestry of Dark Souls by Elaine Bergstrom this morning, I am already on the last few chapters. It has been amazing so far, now all I have to hope is that the last few chapters won't ruin a good book.

Rereading Jordan's Wheel of Time series.

He really needed to get a decent editor on board after book 3.

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries
    Finishing up Terry Pratchett's Mort. It's pretty funny. I didn't really expect Rinsewind to make an appearance...

I'm up to about denouement now ... usually Terry ends them pretty happily, but Death seems pretty pissed... so I dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by Y
    Rereading Jordan's Wheel of Time series.

He really needed to get a decent editor on board after book 3.
    Good series.

I'm currently readin " for a few demons more" by kim Harrison.

Quote Originally Posted by SK
    Just read Persepolis, really, really good book. Now I'm reading Guns, Germs, and Steel, its very insightful so far.
    I thought Guns, Germs, and Steel was a decent attempt to explain why some societies modernized quicker than others and why Europeans came into dominance. I particularly liked the chapter on how and why certain animals were domesticated and others were impossible to tame. I thought the author was sometimes repetitive, banging the reader over and over on the head with certain facts, but he did do a fairly good job of explaining his reasoning. I didn't agree with all of his theories, but they were at least interesting and mostly plausible. I think he did a good job with a complex topic where the "science" is sketchy at best and impossible to really prove at worst.

And it's cool to see people reading Terry Pratchett, one of my favorite authors. I think my favorites of his books are the city guards stories (starting with Guards! Guards!), but more recently I really liked Going Postal and The Truth. Satire with decent comedy, not too heavy handed, and also just damn good stories.

And for Danad_corps: I really like Vonnegut too, although it's been a while since I read his stuff. Try Mother Night, it's my favorite, about a guy who pretends to be a Nazi propagandist while secretly sending out spy messages in his radio broadcasts, but the thing is he was a really good propagandist... Raises interesting questions about how little difference there is between pretending to be someone and actually being that person.

For myself I've been plowing through the Malazan Books of the Fallen. LONG books, but set in a well-defined fantasy world with colorful characters (Whiskeyjack, Quick Ben, Icarium... Tehol Beddict is one my favorites, he and Bugg have some GREAT dialogue) and epic tales of war, betrayal, rebellion, the death of gods, etc.
    Last edited by Mae; Thu, 08-02-2007 at 11:23 PM.

Well, I just finished Speaker for the Dead, and I am looking for another good book to read, I know I need to go pick up Xenocide, but I have not been able to go get it yet. Are there any recommendations from anyone for a good book that can follow along the same lines as Speaker for the Dead and that series.

Speaking of Speaker, I was captivated by it for hours on end. It is the first book in a while where I have sat there and re-read pages not because I didn't understand it, but because I wanted to make sure I understood any implications and Foreshadowing that it brought. I would defiantly recommend it with Enders Game before it.

read the shadow series, starting with ender's shadow. i like that series better than the ender series, not because ender's shadow is better than ender's game, which it's not, but because the rest of the shadow series is so much better than the rest of the ender series. i'd also recommend the homecoming saga, if you want to read something that's more fantasy-ish by Card.

infidel
    Right now I am reading Rant by Chuck Palahniuk, it is the first time that I read a novel in the form of an oral biography. Definitely interesting, and definitely good.

Anyone read the Song of Ice and Fire series by George RR Martin? Books 1-3 were excellent, 4 not so much.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?