Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Book: What Book Are You Reading?

I just finished reading the "Watchmen" series the other day and finished reading the "Preacher" series a couple of weeks ago. Both greatly written comic books. I just wish I got around to reading them sooner.

I just finished Lotr for the 2nd time and I think I might try harry potter. Is it worth reading or just movie viewing?

Quote Originally Posted by Sarahchan
    I just finished Lotr for the 2nd time and I think I might try harry potter. Is it worth reading or just movie viewing?
    There is a lot of information left out in the movies, though on most of them they did a good job I would still recommend reading the books also. Not like you got much to read, it is only 7 books.

I would also recommend the Enders Game series of books, or maybe even the Wheel of Time series.

Currently reading Taste of the Night by some lady who's name isn't that important.

I think I'm finally tired of reading sci-fi/fantasy books with female lead characters who get empowered and decide to go kick butt with nothing but their anger at the asshole males who raped, abused, or oppressed them and the guy who runs around behind them at their beck and call indulging their impulsiveness. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with these stories but after the 40th or 50th time it's started to get annoying.

I'm looking for something new, preferably a series, that's sci-fi and/or fantasy with either a tough male lead without women troubles or, even better, no single main character and an interesting and intircate plot that has little to no romantic relationship exposition. High magic or technology level is a plus. Note: Harry Potter will not be considered for personal reasons.

Some stuff I've already read and liked a lot: Dune (All books ), Ender (All books), LotR (most of the prequels), Halo (all books).

Quote Originally Posted by Spiegel
    I would also recommend the Enders Game series of books, or maybe even the Wheel of Time series.
    Oh? why is this? What are they about?

They are series I really enjoyed reading and wouldn't mind reading again. Enders Game, Enders Shadow, Speaker for the Dead, and Xenocide were all great books. It is a more space series and deals with the interaction between two races that know very little about the other and what happened accordingly. A good read in my opinion.

I say the wheel of time series because I figured you were into the medieval type book and that is another good series to read.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiegel
    They are series I really enjoyed reading and wouldn't mind reading again. Enders Game, Enders Shadow, Speaker for the Dead, and Xenocide were all great books. It is a more space series and deals with the interaction between two races that know very little about the other and what happened accordingly. A good read in my opinion.

I say the wheel of time series because I figured you were into the medieval type book and that is another good series to read.

Thanks Ill look into it!

Awesome user with default custom title darkmetal505's Avatar
    You shouldn't forget Bean's story with Ender's Shadow, Shadow of the Hegemon, Shadow Puppets, and Shadow of the Giant.

Quote Originally Posted by darkmetal505
    You shouldn't forget Bean's story with Ender's Shadow, Shadow of the Hegemon, Shadow Puppets, and Shadow of the Giant.
    I just mentioned the ones I remembered on the second post, I said the series in the first. Though personally I didn't like Ender's Shadow, but that may have just been me. I don't know what it was about the book but I just couldn't get into it.

Today I started and finished "The Alphabet of Manliness" by Maddox. Short read but absolutely hilarious.

Wow I didnt realize these forums had ender's fans . Hope Ender's game the movie will do well, its going to be Directed by Wolfgang Peterson. Unfortunately the script is still being written by the Man himself Orson Scott Card.
    "Be sure to take this piece of $#!t(meant sheet)" - My dynamics professor(heavy japanese accent)

Sig and Avatar by Lucifus
    Current Games: League of Legends(Fuck, its got me hooked again -_-)

i would rather orson scott card take his time to write a good script than do it in a hurry and have the movie be crappy. although it's probably going to be difficult to please the hardcore fans no matter what.

speaking of OSC, the book i'm currently reading is also written by him. it's called empire, and as far as i can tell, it's about terrorists and the u.s. government. i'm not sure if i like it yet or not.

Quote Originally Posted by saman
    i would rather orson scott card take his time to write a good script than do it in a hurry and have the movie be crappy. although it's probably going to be difficult to please the hardcore fans no matter what.

speaking of OSC, the book i'm currently reading is also written by him. it's called empire, and as far as i can tell, it's about terrorists and the u.s. government. i'm not sure if i like it yet or not.
    I agree with you that I want him to do a good job on the script, however he is on at least his 3rd or 4th version of it, and still it hasnt gone though. I really hope the whole project wont get cancelled, because I have been waiting for this move for like 4 years and still they havent even began shooting it.

Those who have read this book series should know a few the difficulties associated with filming this particular book.

On a side note, OSC announced a few months ago I believe that he is writting 2 more Ender's books:

*Ender in Exile: Ganges*(taken from wikipedia)
    -(working title) is a yet-to-be-published science fiction novel by Orson Scott Card, which will be a prequel to Speaker for the Dead.

Very little about the book is known at this time; Card announced it, along with Shadows in Flight, but it is not known how much work he has done on either novel or even whether he has started them.

*Shadows in Flight*(taken from wikipedia)
    -Shadows in Flight is a yet-to-be-published science fiction novel by Orson Scott Card, which will link the Bean quartet back to the Ender novels.

Very little about the book is known at this time; Card has announced it, along with a prequel to Speaker for the Dead tentatively titled Ender in Exile: Ganges, but it is not known how much work he has done on either novel or even whether he has started them.

Card has stated explicitly that Shadows in Flight will wrap up some of the plot threads left dangling in Shadow of the Giant. However, in an interview with SciFi.com, he established that Flight would pick up where Children of the Mind (the final book in the Ender quartet) left off, as opposed to starting with the ending of Giant.
    "Be sure to take this piece of $#!t(meant sheet)" - My dynamics professor(heavy japanese accent)

Sig and Avatar by Lucifus
    Current Games: League of Legends(Fuck, its got me hooked again -_-)

Wow, so [spoiler omitted] continued that long. I'll be looking forward to Shadows in Flight.

As for Empire, I read most of it. But for some reason I never finished it, something that never happens to me, regardless of author. I did enjoy it, but I must have gotten distracted by something...

I've been forced to read quite a bit of novels for my Lit classes, and though I usually don't like when I'm forced to read (one should be reading for pleasure really), I was surprised how much I enjoyed some of the books.

Perhaps my favorite of them was The Professor's House by Willa Cather. Not too much happens in it overall, but the interactions with the family get pretty interesting about halfway into the first part. It's an older one, but worth a try.

so i know gr3atfull doesn't come here anymore, but if she ever does again and sees this, i'd like to tell her again that i'm grateful she recommended the fionavar tapestry to me. i just finished reading the series again a week or two ago, and enjoyed it even more the second time. i also bought the lions of al-rassan today by guy kay. i've heard really good things about it, so i hope i like it.

also, following the older topic, i never did finish empire. first one of OSC's books that i started but didn't complete :*)***

All you idiots that read books and novels, please make your opinions heard:
    http://forums.gotwoot.net/showthread...ewpost&t=15833

Awesome user with default custom title KrayZ33's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Munsu
    All you idiots that read books and novels, please make your opinions heard:
    http://forums.gotwoot.net/showthread...ewpost&t=15833
    a nice request....

a fountain pourin' like an avalanche, comin' down the mountain
    P.G. O'Neill's Essential Kanji
    and Japanese for Busy People vol. 2

Humans are different from animals. We must die for a reason. Now is the time for us to regulate ourselves and reclaim our dignity. The one who holds endless potential and displays his strength and kindness to the world. Only mankind has God, a power that allows us to go above and beyond what we are now, a God that we call "possibility".

I've been reading The Ranger's Apprentice, Odd Thomas, and The Sword of Truth series... just started with Wizard's First Rule.

Recently finished The Outlaw Demon Wails by Kim Harrison and Star Wars Revelation by Karen Traviss.

The latter is another great title of that genre, particularly if you like how badass Madalorians (Boba Fett, etc) can be.

I would like to pick up Personal Demon by Kelley Armstrong, but I'd rather wait for the paperback. Not so much because they are cheaper, but because they are easier to read around the house.