Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Book: What Book Are You Reading?

I'm currently reading Angels and Demon by Dan Brown, actually i'm reading it the 2nd time while i'm waiting for Digital Fortress to be available in our local bookstore. I also finished Deception Point and Da Vinci's Code also by the same author. Basically I like the history and art and other facts that was thrown in novel.

Junior
    I'm going to start reading Dexter in the Dark by..Jeff Lindsay(I think) ^^;; And I'm going to finish reading J.D Salinger's Nine Stories.

Nine Stories has been really great so far. My favourite stories so far are A Perfect day for banana fish and Teddy.

Blog Entries
    I'm currently reading "Rosas de Atacama" by Luis Sepulveda. It's a compilation of small stories that the author either experienced ot was told about by ppl who did, most of these relating to WW2 .

Quote Originally Posted by Junior
    And I'm going to finish reading J.D Salinger's Nine Stories.
    J.D. Salinger wrote something other than the Catcher in the Rye? i thought that was the only book he had written.

Bud, let me know what you think of the sword of truth series. i've heard it's like an adult version of harry potter, so i'm curious about how it is.

I don't know of it being an adult version of Harry Potter, but it's quite good so far... 260 pages into Wizard's First Rule. There's magic, violence, and all those goodies... but aside from that I don't see the resemblance to Harry Potter at this moment. If anything so far, it seems more like a Lord of the Rings type of thing, probably more adult oriented in itself than LoTR. Regardless, it's quite good so far.

Also, now that there's is this whole forum to discuss book/novels... you guys shouldn't hesitate to start threads about the different titles you're interested in and are reading. On that note, I moved a couple of threads about books that were in GD to here... if you guys find more pm me so I can move them.

At KitKat's suggestion, I might also start a "Book of the Month" type of thing, and try to get some of us to read the same book because I figure with the abundance of novels, etc. that it be quite hard to find common books that many of us are reading.

I do something similar with the manga people, which is quite successful at first, but as the time passes it dies out. With that being said, I need to do it once again as I left the last manga reading round on limbo a couple of months back.

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by saman
    J.D. Salinger wrote something other than the Catcher in the Rye? i thought that was the only book he had written.
    Yes. D: Check him on wikipedia. he has some interesting work.

I thought he'd be more famous because of Ghost in the shell. o.o Laughing Man and whatnot.

i just got The Great Tree of Avalon yesterday, gonna start reading that. Has anyone here read it, or other books by T.A Barron?

Four blind mice by James Patterson

Lasers? Cookies? FTW!
    (universally beloved
    moderator ex-emerita)
    I'm almost done my school semester and plan to start 'Hood' by Stephen R. Lawhead. I really liked his rendition of the King Arthur story, so I'm looking forward to his retelling of Robin Hood.

Quote Originally Posted by Munsu
    At KitKat's suggestion, I might also start a "Book of the Month" type of thing, and try to get some of us to read the same book because I figure with the abundance of novels, etc. that it be quite hard to find common books that many of us are reading.
    I think anything sci-fi or fantasy is a good bet, since those seem to be quite common genres in this thread. If we choose books that were published relatively recently, it shouldn't be hard to find them, with a good chance that most of us haven't read them yet. We could also do it where we try out new authors that are just starting to establish themselves in the literary scene.

House of the Scorpion is an excellent science fiction novel with an interesting and somewhat original setting.

@Assassin I haven't read that particular book but I've read the Lost years of Merlin epics by T.A Barron and that was a great series that i would recommend to anyone who is a fan of anything King Author related.
    Last edited by Dark Dragon; Wed, 04-02-2008 at 12:35 AM.

House of the Scorpion is an absolutely amazing novel. The characters and emotions are so intense. We get to see life in the main characters eyes as he is born, lives through prejudice, escapes from it, finds love, and conquers all of his challenges. The villains in that novel are my favorite kind, not truly 100% evil, all having thier own reasons for what they do. Everyone has a depth and personality that let's you understand them to some degree, even, if you'd rather not.

For the book of the month idea, sounds good. I know a lot of really good sci-fi+fantasy authors. But I also know good fiction, romance, adventure authors too. Will we vote on the book or something? (I personally would prefer to read a book I've never read, if possible)

My fave authors I can think of right now are
    NEAL SHUSTERMAN
    Karen Marie Moning
    Laurell K. Hamilton (love hate relashionship)
    Phillip Pullman (Just his His Dark Materials series)
    Lisa Kleypas (Her early stuff)
    Jaqueline Carey
    K.J Parker
    Juliette Marillier

some other authors
    Last edited by Sapphire; Wed, 04-02-2008 at 07:26 AM.
    "Leaving hell is not the same as entering it." - Tierce Japhrimel

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire
    For the book of the month idea, sounds good. I know a lot of really good sci-fi+fantasy authors. But I also know good fiction, romance, adventure authors too. Will we vote on the book or something? (I personally would prefer to read a book I've never read, if possible)
    When I've thought it through... I'll create a specific thread to discuss it, for now let's keep this thread on-topic.

But yeah, the idea for the most part would be for people to give some suggestions, then through some criteria select 5 or so of the suggestions and have the people interested vote. But I got to think this through a bit more, probably a couple of weeks.

I'm reading "the dice man' by Luke Rhineheart. Its pretty funny, but really f-ed up. Its about a psychiatrist that chooses to live his life by rolling Dice. Interesting read, to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Munsu
    Quote Originally Posted by saman

Bud, let me know what you think of the sword of truth series. i've heard it's like an adult version of harry potter, so i'm curious about how it is.
    I don't know of it being an adult version of Harry Potter, but it's quite good so far... 260 pages into Wizard's First Rule. There's magic, violence, and all those goodies... but aside from that I don't see the resemblance to Harry Potter at this moment. If anything so far, it seems more like a Lord of the Rings type of thing, probably more adult oriented in itself than LoTR. Regardless, it's quite good so far.
    Well, after reading some more and as I haven't read many novels, the closest thing I can compare it to from what I know is to Berserk. Lots of magic, journey's, brutal, violent, everyone's horny, beast, demons, etc., disgusting acts against humanity, ruthless rapes, etc.

Great story in my opinion, but no one is safe... and not only are they not safe, but everyone could face some really harsh torments and a gruesome, disgusting, brutal death.

Good shit, I highly recommend it. Give it a go... there's a healthy amount of romance too, if you like those types of elements.

dunno if anyone mentioned it here (13 pages is a bit too much to read at once for me at this late hour) but Pratchett's books are pure joy.

I read discworld series and I love every single book.

Bought myself Hogfather recently and it's in english - his books are very addicting (english is not my mother tongue).

random quote from this very book :

"An education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease. It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on."

Oh, man, I haven't read a book in awhile. I think the most recent was "The Golden Compass", part of Philip Pullman's "His Dark Materials". I enjoyed that one, although it did start off quite slowly.

Like SilentSnake said, 13 pages is a bit much, so if anyone has anything they've already said about what I'm about to say next, I'm sorry.

Another good title (or series) was "Halo: First Strike". I don't remember the author's name, but I remember that it was a well written story. I actually haven't read any of the other Halo books, but I think I'll try and chack some out soon.

"Merlin: The Lost Years" was a good title by T.A. Barron, and I did rather enjoy it. I think I posted something on it awhile back, but you'd have to file through my posts to find it, since I'm a bit too lazy at the moment.

I also rather enjoyed Lemony Snicket's Series of Unfortunate Events. Simple reads, and progressively longer each novel. Drama sorta thickens up after the third book, but all twelve or thirteen are good reads.

I was introduced to the "Incarnations" novels by a friend, and the most recent one I've read was "Bearing an Hourglass". A very good read, but DAMN does Piers Anthony begin rambling on near the end. Beware in advance of the last fifty pages or so.

I think those are the last few books I've read. If I remember or find any more, I'll post another time with them.
    Now 99% disease free!

i just finished reading twilight by stephenie meyers. a little girly, but holy crap so good! i read the whole thing in a day
    Last edited by saman; Mon, 12-15-2008 at 06:55 PM.

Well an update on what I've been reading. Right now I'm reading the second book of Odd Thomas, Forever Odd. So far it isn't as good as the first one.

I also read the 5th book of Ranger's Apprentice, The Sorceress of the North which was more of a setup book for the next one in the series, not much happened.

Continued reading the Sword of Truth series, finished up to Naked Empire, so I think I only have the last trilogy left. Taking a break from it at the moment.

Also read Bloodheir, second book of the Godless World trilogy which I have been enjoying quite a bit.

I think that pretty much covers it. I just bought the first two books of the Gentlemen Bastard series which starts with The Lies of Locke Lamora. Anyone knows anything about this? I think it looks interesting from the description. Seen it described as a "high fantasy meets Ocean's 11".

I'm going to sticky this thread.
    Last edited by Munsu; Wed, 12-03-2008 at 06:43 PM.

oh hey! i remember this thread! i'm reading the entire narnia series in order right now. i'm almost done the horse and his boy. they're...um, interesting.

Now that i am FINALLY done with finals, it just occurred to me that i haven't had the chance to sit down and read a good book in quite a long while.

Since this is a thread on books people are currently reading, i was wondering if i could get some recommendations.

My favorite type of books are usually fantasy/fiction novels along the line of Eragon but i'm not a very picky person so i am willing to read almost anything as long as it hold my interest.