Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Book: What Book Are You Reading?

I'm still reading The Dresden Files. Up to book 9 at the moment. I'm really hooked with the series, much better than I had expected it to be. Funny, witty, lots of action, fast paced... and the story gets better each book; doing a good job of connecting all the plots together while introducing new ones and new elements.

As mentioned in the Dresden Files thread, I finished reading all 11 books that are out of the series and I really enjoyed it.

I also read Child of Fire first book of the series Twenty Palaces by Harry Connolly, a new author. The book is similar to that of the Dresden Files series, so those that enjoy Dresden should be able to enjoy this.

At the moment I'm reading the first book of Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson. Brandon Sanderson, for those of you that don't know, is the author that is going to finish The Wheel of Time series now that Robert Jordan is dead... I think his first book of WoT just got released.

Anyways, read 80 pages so far of Mistborn and it's been good so far. The magic system is quite interesting.

a fountain pourin' like an avalanche, comin' down the mountain
    read the first thing ive ever fully read over the course of the past couple months while i was here in setagaya. it was Twelfth Night by old man Willie Shakes, and as much as i do not usually go in for Shakespeare, i have to admit that it was pretty funny, olde english and all.

now i am about half way through Notes from the Underground by Fyodor Dostoevesky, because i love everything the Russian writes, even if it is weird semiphilisophical rambling.

Humans are different from animals. We must die for a reason. Now is the time for us to regulate ourselves and reclaim our dignity. The one who holds endless potential and displays his strength and kindness to the world. Only mankind has God, a power that allows us to go above and beyond what we are now, a God that we call "possibility".

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries
    Just finished up Malcom Gladwell's Outliers. Sort of par for the course for Gladwell: well-written and engaging, but with a couple of rough patches that the editor should have caught, and with the usual non-academic lightness of research that sort of skips past the "correlation != causation" bit of the scientific method. As a bit of pop sociology, it's definitely compelling and recommended.

Starting on Superfreakonomics for controversy-inducing giggles in the next couple of days...

Well here's what I've read in the last two months or so:

Codex Alera which is the other series by Jim Butcher. While Dresden is urban fantasy, this is more traditional fantasy. First book was a bit weak, but the series got better by each book, in all it was quite fun and entertaining. Nothing really groundbreaking, some good characters, good amount of action, and a bit of political intrigue.

I also read The Magicians by Lev Grossman and the best way to describe it is as an adult version of a combination of Harry Potter and Narnia. First half was quite slow, but the second half I found to be quite interesting. Their take on magic and it's consequences, and how it affects young people (around college level) with magic and how they deal in a world were magic is not used (and are ignorant to it) by the rest of the population is interesting. I'm really recommending it, though it can be slow at times, in my opinion the payoff makes it worth it. Overall well written, and it can be thought inducing. Not for everyone though.

I also read the remaining Wheel of Time books I had in hand, Crossroads of Twilight and Knife of Dreams. Crossroads of Twilight was pure shit, one of the most useless and boring books I've read. Knife of Dreams though was one of my favorites in the series, so it made up for that.

I'm hearing that The Gathering Storm, the next book from WoT.. first one written by Brandon Sanderson is great, so really looking forward to getting my hands on it.

Last, but not least, I read The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett, also known as The Painted Man in the UK. One of the top debuts of 2009, and it really delivered in my opinion. Great characters, grim world, great action. I'm hearing that early word on the sequel, The Desert Spear is great, so it might be something you guys want to check out. Keep in mind that there are some minor changes between the US and UK editions, so if you read The Warded Man make sure you continue with the US edition of the series and viceversa. If not mistaken Brett has already sold movie rights for the series.

Just finished The Forever War by Joe Haldeman. It was written post-Vietnam as a response of sorts to Heinlen's Starship Troopers, and that's a pretty accurate description. It deals a lot with the numbing dispair that comes with coming back after the time-dilating effect of relativity from an interstellar war. Heinlen himself apparently really liked the book. It has the benefit of being really gritty because Haldeman was a veteran himself.

Now that I'm done with that, I'm going to read Dune. Should be fun.

Over the past few weeks I've read:

"How to Build a Robot Army" by Daniel H. Wilson - pretty funny book about robotics, some factual info mixed in with science-fictiony material.

"The Last Lecture" by Randy Pausch - autobiography about a man dying from pancreatic cancer and how he spends his last few months, very uplifting.

"Festivus: A Holiday for the Rest of Us" - an okay book about Festivus (anyone who watches Seinfeld should know what it is), its origin and various people who celebrate it.

I also read some books from the "Simpsons Library of Wisdom" - Homer, Bart, Lisa, Krusty, Comic Book Guy, and Moe. All were pretty funny except the Krusty book.

For the last month or so I've done quite a bit of reading, here are the notables:

The Vlad Taltos series by Stephen Brust - this is pretty much the series I'm currently reading, and I've been enjoying it a ton. Those that enjoy The Dresden Files should be able to enjoy this. It's narrated in first person, and it follows the life of a human assassin in a world where humans are the lowest of class.

Wolfbreed by S. A. Swann - excellent novel in my opinion about a warewolf that is being used by the Crusades in order to attack pagan villages. After years of service, the warewolf seems to have had enough and escapes to the care of a family with their own share of misfortune. Love and betrayal ensue. One would think this is a romantic novel, and although it has a bit of romantic elements here and there, this is not a romantic novel. It has a ton of violent action and horror. Well written and highly recommended. A sequel should come out later in the year called Wolf's Cross.

The Left Hand of God by Paul Hoffman. Cool debut for the author that just came out earlier this month and the first of a new series. Set in a what can I only assume to be a post-apocalytic world, and it follows Cale who has been raised in some sort of monastery cruelly being trained to be some sort of perfect soldier and killer.

The Psalms of Isaak by Ken Scholes. Two books out so far, Lamentation and Canticle and they've both been excellent.

Right now I'm reading The Pilo Family Circus by Will Elliott and it looks excellent so far. The cover is awesome.

A bit off-topic but it still has some relevance.

I've been wanting to buy a kindle and is still rather undecided after reading reviews. I was wondering if anyone here have experiences with one and could recommend it?

My best bet would be to wait a bit to see if something better comes along. Things are finally getting developed in that market, and I would say that it might be too much of an investment at the moment.

Though, many people seem to like them. One thing that worries me is the capability of transferring your ebooks to another device if you so wish to upgrade... I think that at the moment you're stuck with the ebook on the device you bought it with. I'm not certain.

I am thinking about starting to read Lord of The Rings Triology.

Actually wanted some good opinions from gotwoot members :P
    The Authors i whos books i absolutly loved where : Roger Zelazny (Amber Chronicles only though), Jack London and Edgar Allan Poe. ( thin list O.o )
    So if you can recommend any books that are similar to these characteristics please do would love you for each contribution

I just started reading "Beyond Good and Evil" by Nietzsche. We only got a taste of some of his readings in my first year philosophy class last term and I've been meaning to read more of his work.

Been reading quite a bit as of late, but here are some worth noting:

Retribution Falls by Chris Wooding - First in the Tales of the Ketty Jay series, and it really reads like a Firefly type of series. A really fun book, worth checking out. The sequel is coming out soon, Black Lung Captain. One of my favorite reads this year so far.

The Silver Bear and Columbus by Derek Haas - This is just a non-stop action, no nonsense series following a hitman. These are the first two in the series, quite enjoyable and fun.

Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs - Urban Fantasy mystery thriller which I enjoyed quite a bit. Main character is a native american walker who can change into a coyote, she's a mechanic who was raised by a pack of wolves. There are vampires and fae. She's always overpowered by everyone, though always finds a way to do what needs doing, plus being a walker gives her certain powers that many of the supernatural dislike. The fae have already come out to the world, the warewolves are thinking about it, etc. Good warewolf pack and vampire politics. A fun read in all.

Changes by Jim Butcher - Latest in the Dresden Files series, and nothing else needs saying other than this was a very awesome book, my favorite in the series and a real game changer.

I am Not a Serial Killer by Dan Wells - Now this one you guys have to check out. Together with Changes, it has been my favorite read this year so far. It's the first of the John Cleaver series, and it follows a sociopath teenager. Fans of Dexter surely have to check this out. There are quite a few similarities, but it's distinctive enough. The main character is great and very interesting. Like Dexter he has a set of rules (not a code), but the reason for those rules are to prevent him from becoming a serial killer. He has a fascination with them, and when a serial killer comes to town it's like a movie star showing up. So he starts investigating, and through his investigation some of his rules gets compromised, so it starts becoming harder to control himself, etc. In all he's a fascinating and very creepy kid. Really really recommended, you wont be disappointed. I should warn you though, the series contains a bit of the supernatural, for example there are demons around. Sequel is already out in the UK, Mr. Monster, coming in September to the US.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    I finished The Five Greatest Warriors by Matthew Reilly a few weeks ago.

I didn't think it was as good as the rest.His "twists" aren't as good any more, and are losing their shock value, possibly due to their increasing predictability.

My personal favourite would have to be Temple, followed closely by Ice Station.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Summer is the time when I can really hunker down, forget everything and read all day, non-stop. Today, I'm going to the library for some books. I expect to come back with yummy romance, sci-fi, fantasy. Also some teen books just because they look cool.

Hmm a Dance with Dragons came out today? TODAY? NICE!!!! Maybe I should just skip all of the books and read that one.

...Running away from Yuki and Haru now.
    "Leaving hell is not the same as entering it." - Tierce Japhrimel

Awesome user with default custom title NeoCybercoin's Avatar
    The Wheel of Time- The Eye of the World

Just finished New Spring

Quote Originally Posted by NeoCybercoin View Post
    The Wheel of Time- The Eye of the World

Just finished New Spring
    How did you find New Spring? Only book in the series I haven't read.

I actually haven't bought it myself. Was a gift from my little brother so I'd have to ask him.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoCybercoin View Post
    I actually haven't bought it myself. Was a gift from my little brother so I'd have to ask him.
    I meant, did you like it or not?

Ahhh that. I liked it. It was my first book of the series so I was excited since I heard a lot bout the series. It was some getting used to since there was just so much information. Sometimes I thought "Wow...80 pages in the book and nothing happened" But I reminded myself that it was a prequel so not really significant could happen. Other than that I liked it.