Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Book: What Book Are You Reading?

I'm reading Brad Gilbert's Winning Ugly

A book about a tennis player who although had some of the ugliest strokes in the world, came to get ranked into the top 10 tennis players in the world because of his mental game. All serious tennis players should read this, although I doubt there are any others in this forum...

Blog Entries
    Stop posting Mizuchi you worthless scum of the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonOutlaw
    Stop posting Mizuchi you worthless scum of the earth.
    I didn't do anything?

@Mizuchi: We're at the point now where it doesn't matter what you say. You simply fail.

Anyway, I'm currently reading Cast in Shadow by Michelle Sagara. This book is vaguely interesting but had a terrible editor, if any at all. The number of grammatical, punctuation and dropped word errors is so large I'm never picking up another by this publisher (Luna) if I can manage it.
    Last edited by Yukimura; Thu, 08-10-2006 at 11:10 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizuchi
    I didn't do anything?
    Your existence states otherwise. Take the hint and get lost simpleton. (btw I think its funny you even bothered to neg rep me!)
    irc.gotwoot.net #gotwoot

Kitkat makes great signatures!

There was a yahoo article on Mizuchi a few days ago. Apparently he was one of the ugliest babies ever born. picture of him as a newborn;

KitKat edit: Ugh, ok, that's so eye-searingly ugly that I'm changing it to a link.
    Ugly ugliness
    Last edited by KitKat; Fri, 08-11-2006 at 02:33 AM.

[21:48] * DO furiously masturbates to #gotwoot

Lasers? Cookies? FTW!
    (universally beloved
    moderator ex-emerita)
    *Puts on moderator hat*
    Listen, I know you guys really dislike Mizuchi, but don't derail a good thread to sling insults around. If he does enough stupid stuff, he'll just get banned the regular way. Meanwhile, he's not causing trouble in this thread, so don't try to pick a fight. Have some respect for the forum rules. The next person to go off topic here will be warned and/or given a vacation. Got that?
    *Takes off moderator hat*

Right now, I'm reading this book right now called 'Raphael' which is the third in a trilogy by R.A. MacAvoy. It's kindof a dark fantasy, but set in France/Italy in the past. It follows the story of a young witch trying to save a village and things ending up quite differently than expected.

I'm only now reading The Da Vinci Code. I doubt this really needs an introduction...

I'm re-reading Teitam Brown. It's a really twisted book wherein a young man finds that his father is an even worse bastard than anyone thought.
    "Samsonlonghair - The Defender of the Oppressed And Shunned!" -Kraco

Light ger fire, Phoenix edition by David Snyder.

currently re-reading the dark tower series by stephen king, on wizard and glass atm.

Stephen king = ftw imo

Quote Originally Posted by sairane
    currently re-reading the dark tower series by stephen king, on wizard and glass atm.
    I was reading that series a long time ago, but after the third part, I already thought it was discontinued, and it vanished from my mind. I happened to see the later books somewhere, by accident, but I only remember bits and pieces of the story now.

It has pretty crazy release dates:

Book I: 1982
    Book II: 1987
    Book III: 1991
    Book IV: 1997
    Book V: 2003
    Book VI: 2004
    Book VII: 2004

Now that I've been following fansubbed anime series and got used to the extended periods of time between episode releases every now and then, maybe I'd be mentally ready to start to read Dark Tower once again...

Currently reading The Book of One Thousand and One Nights
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Boo...and_One_Nights

I've looked, but I've never been able to find a complete english translation of that book. Most of the stories are censored even in the arabic world, so it's hard to find a complete english translation anywhere.
    "Samsonlonghair - The Defender of the Oppressed And Shunned!" -Kraco

Actually, I am currently reading it in french.

I have found some english books about it at a bookstore near my place. Here is one of them.
    http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/item/books-978284323725/2843237254/The+Thousand+and+One+Nights?ref=Search+Books%3a+'T he+Book+of+One+Thousand+and+One+Nights'

Also, I have found one on ebay, much cheaper from the ones at my bookstore.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Book-of-The-Thou...QQcmdZViewItem

I think both of the books that I mentionned are complete, but I am not sure.

Last edited by Thi3f; Wed, 01-09-2019 at 05:03 PM.

@krako
    Yeah it took a looong time for him to write it.. but its actually finished now. And i would reccomend for anyone to pick it up, as ive re-read it many times and still love it ^_^

Yay books!

Right now I'm finishing a Japanese novel from the Edo period (1670 or so) by one of Edo's greatest poets, Saikaku Ihara. This book however is prose, called "Loves of a Gentleman", but that's a very misleading title...

The story follows the life of a man called Yonosuke from his eight years to his sixty-eight, there's a chapter for each year but they're pretty short.
    He's basically a Japanese Don Juan and sleeps with different women (and mean) in each chapter.

It's entretaining but also rater repetitive, since each new chapter only brings new women/men for the protagonist to sleep with, and his conquests are usually not that impressive, since 60% of them are prostitutes.

However, it's still a very Japanese book ("...ah the flowing of this ethereal world..."), si I guess it's worth it if you're interested.

As soon as I'm done with that one I'll start with Diana Wyne Jonee' Deep Secret, which is basicallyl fantasy. I'm a fan of her books, so I'm looking forward to having something light to read before starting on my school books, with A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce (which fills me with fear) first of all.

無理してここまでやってきて これからもすっと同じだろう
    それでも何かを信じたい 心の奥の声

Lol, you people that read these heady books in differnet languages are making my inferiority compleex act up!

I finished the Michelle Sagara book, whose last three chapters were much more entertaining then the first 19 were. Now I'm reading Wizard by John Varley. 2nd book in the Gaea Trilogy. Varley is apparently a highly lauded Sci-Fi writer, who I'd never heard of until I saw his books on display at Boarders on my my through to the movie theater. A+ for cover design, I immediately grabbed Titan the first of the Gaea books based only on the cover art and the blurbs, it turned out to be quite a good read, and now i'm reading book two.

The trilogy is about a near future space expidition to Saturn to study the moons. While investigatig the moon Themis they discover it is in fact a 1300 km diameter hollow Torus (doughnut) and is not a moon at all, but a life form, Gaea. Within Gaea is an entire world into which the charachters are brought. The first book was very interesting, chronicleing the experiances of the crew of the ship as they explore Gaea's interior and attempt to met the 'Goddess' herself. Wizard takes place 60 years later, where Gaea has become a frequent tourist attraction, in addition to a soverign nation and voting member of the UN.

I just finished reading A Scanner Darkly, a novel by Phillip K. Dick. It's a very good book, if you happened to see the movie and enjoyed it I encourage you strongly to read it, as it, like most other novels that are adapted into movies, is far more detailed and interesting.

For those of you who havent heard of it, a quick synopsis from Amazon:
    Mind- and reality-bending drugs factor again and again in Philip K. Dick's hugely influential SF stories. A Scanner Darkly cuts closest to the bone, drawing on Dick's own experience with illicit chemicals and on his many friends who died from drug abuse. Nevertheless, it's blackly farcical, full of comic-surreal conversations between people whose synapses are partly fried, sudden flights of paranoid logic, and bad trips like the one whose victim spends a subjective eternity having all his sins read to him, in shifts, by compound-eyed aliens. (It takes 11,000 years of this to reach the time when as a boy he discovered masturbation.) The antihero Bob Arctor is forced by his double life into warring double personalities: as futuristic narcotics agent "Fred," face blurred by a high-tech scrambler, he must spy on and entrap suspected drug dealer Bob Arctor. His disintegration under the influence of the insidious Substance D is genuine tragicomedy. For Arctor there's no way off the addict's downward escalator, but what awaits at the bottom is a kind of redemption--there are more wheels within wheels than we suspected, and his life is not entirely wasted. --David Langford, Amazon.co.uk
    Last edited by eat_toast; Tue, 08-15-2006 at 01:10 PM.