Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Book: What Book Are You Reading?

I'm going through Lone Wolf & Cub for the 9th or 10th time....wait, does manga count?

Hmm, I just finished up an awful book my dad gave me about a lawn guy whose wife is kidnapped. It was called The Husband by Dean Koontz and it is probably the worst book I have read in years. Right now I'm just rereading a few books because buying new ones isn't in my budget right now, and my local library is a 20 minute drive and has an awful selection. If anyone has any suggestions though I'll be looking to pick some up in the near future. I read mostly Sci-fi, and fantasy although good mystery novels are always worth a read. I'v covered most of the staples for fantasy, and the mainstream books for sci-fi; WoT,SoT, Ender's series, Timeline, Crichton, etc. Catch-22 looks good but it wasnt at the last store i went to =\

The early stuff by David Eddings might pique your interest if you haven't read his stuff yet. The Belgariad and Mallorean series might be worth your time (5 books per series). Anything after that may be questionable due to an obvious lack of effort in the storytelling process.

What Book Are You Reading?

Threads Merged.

mage you're warned, more so than normal because this is essentially breaking the profanity rule as well as contributing absolutely nothing.

The fact that you're not even reading this book, just decided to grab random obscene quotes from it and post it here also is unacceptable.

And as useles of post as this is it certainly belongs in the book thread, not even close to warranting its own thread.

Tread lightly.
    -masa

http://classkc.org/review.php?book=song_of_solomon

I've removed the quotes. They have no purpose here. It might have been different if you'd actually given a topic of discussion relating to them, but just posting them it looks like you're just trying to see how offensive you can be. If anyone is still interested in the quotes, they're found at that link mage gave.
    -Kit
    Last edited by KitKat; Wed, 08-30-2006 at 11:55 AM.

Isn't there a what are you reading now thread. Was this really nmandatory?

It might just be my laziness but, what is the title of this book? I don't see it stated anywhere.
    ___
    ---------------------------- "THE DROPOUT CREW"--------------------------------
    ________Deblas, IfingHateTonTon, RyougaZell, dragonrage.________

________ we may fuck up alot but we always pull thru.

I'm not reading this book, so why would I post in that thread? The title of the book is at the very top of the page - Song of Solomon

- discussions of sex with various animals and plants
    Sounds like a incredibly fun book to read for a 5th grader.

I'm reading Band of Brothers by Stephen E. Ambrose. If you liked the TV miniseries then you'll love this book even more.

I've finished in the past two weeks:"the perfume" (really good), "the sniper" (childish writing style, but intersting) and "the CEO" (good twist, but doesn't stand up to "Paranoia").

Next up is whatever book I can gather from the basement until sunday, or whatever book the other guys in the army are reading...

yep, I'm not really selective.

I'm going to confess something; I've never finished a book. That's right, never. Except, of course, for books related to school which I have been forced to read.

I just can't. I keep losing my focus and my mind just wanders away elsewhere. I demand too much artistry to be content with mere words, as silly as it sounds, and I have tried over and over but I just lose interest and drop it altogether. My last try was Lian Hearn's "Tales of the Otori" (I think that's the english title), which I read a few chapters of and found semi-interesting but then WHOOSH interest gone.

Books are not for Terra.

I've always wanted to make a huge library in my future mansion and fill it with hundreds of thousands of books and then tell people that I've read all of them so I can look really cool. Maybe I'll just do that with anime instead.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostKaGe
    the last book i read was quit disturbing A Child Called It
    I got and read this book today. Truely great. Thanks for tipping me off to this one.

I just finished reading Good Omens by Neil Gaimon (famous comic book writer: Sandman, 1602, etc) and Terry Pratcher (the guy who wrote the diskworld books). Damn, those two bastards made a stroy about the Apocalypse hilarious. It's a pretty funny book in which the Anti-Christ was accidentally switched at birth. His Hell Hound becomes a little mongrel dog; the Four Horsemen ride motorcycles instead of horses; the Serpent from Genesis drives around and listens to tapes of Queen all day. It's damn funny stuff.

Amazon links in case anyone's interested: paperback hard cover.
    Last edited by samsonlonghair; Fri, 09-01-2006 at 07:01 AM.
    "Samsonlonghair - The Defender of the Oppressed And Shunned!" -Kraco

Hah, I just bought Good Omens the other day! Perfectly new hardcover edition at only 19 dollars, which is OMGWTF cheap here. I'm looking forward to read it as soon as I have the chance.... which might not be soon, since I'm graduating in literature and all - I read for a living.

Last week I read Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness, which was tiring but a pretty interesting read. You know, the whole struggle for life and the conclusion about just how empty human life is... my favorite bit is the description of human kind's battle against death: the most uninteresting battle ever. I'll check it later and write it here.

I also read Chrétien de Troyes The Lion Knight, a roman written in the 12th Century in the court of Marie of Champagne. I've always, always loves Arthuric novels - you know, the ones that have to do with King Arthur and his court? - and The Lion Knight is just as good as any of the L'Morte de Arthur ballads. It's basically the story of Yvain, a minor knight in Arthur's court, and his rise to fortune and marriage to a feéric woman... although she's never called that.

In between, I've been reading a lot of William Blake's poetry (Tyger Tyger, burning bright, in the forests of the night...) and a lot of Wordsworth too, which is specially funny when compared to Joseph Conrad. While Conrad goes "The horror, the horror!", Wordsworth sings about flowers

I'm now reading Joyce Carol Oates' The Falls but dunno when I'll finish it, with all the homework I have
    Last edited by Winged Dancer; Fri, 09-01-2006 at 11:36 AM.

無理してここまでやってきて これからもすっと同じだろう
    それでも何かを信じたい 心の奥の声

Quote Originally Posted by woofcat
    I got and read this book today. Truely great. Thanks for tipping me off to this one.
    Link to previous post
    It is a great book very disturbing that someone could actually do something like that.

Well worth reading i'd definitely recommend it to anyone.
    Last edited by GhostKaGe; Wed, 09-27-2006 at 09:01 PM.

How much do i suck with photoshop?

was The Next Hokage

WD, have you read Good Omens yet? If so did you enjoy it?

I just finished reading Fahrenheit 451 By Ray Bradbury. Somehow I have managed not to read that book until recently. It really is every bit as great as it's always called. For those who haven't read this book, it's about a future wherein cencorship is so enforced that all books with any controversy whatsoever are burned along with the houses where they are hidden.

“Someday we’ll stop making the goddamn funeral pyres and jumping in the middle of them. But even when we had the books on hand, a long time ago, we didn’t use what we got out of them.”
    The version I read included Bradbury's Coda in the back that he uses to talk a about publisher's efforts to try to censor that very book for "good intentions".

If anyone's interested, here's the paperback and here's the hardcover .
    "Samsonlonghair - The Defender of the Oppressed And Shunned!" -Kraco

I just picked up a book called Demystifying Visual Studio 2005. Hopefully it won't be one of those cases of "hey, I know my way around the software now but my websites still don't DO STUFF".

I'm almost done reading Band of Brothers by Stephen E. Ambrose. If you liked the miniseries then you'll love this book. It's exactly like the miniseries but a lot more detailed.

I finished reading "The Eyes of God" a really good book by John Marco. Its about a king (named Akeela) and his Championed Knight(named Lukien) that he knew all of his life. Akeela met Lukien in the bad streets of Koth, when Lukien helped him from bandits, then thats when it started from there. King Akeela became Akeela the good because well he was kind until Lukien bangs his queen because they both fell in love. The story just dosen't deal with magic and war, but love and betrayal. Good book I recommend to you guys.
    No one but the enemy will ever teach you how to destroy and conquer. Only the enemy shows you where you are weak. Only the enemy tells you when he is strong. And the rules of the game are what you can do to him and what you can stop him from doing to you. I am your enemy from now on. From now on, I am your teacher."
    -Mazer Rackham

Awesome user with default custom title XanBcoo's Avatar
    OK, so it's not a book, but "The Last Question" by Isaac Asimov is a great short story I just read. It deals with humanity's evolution and eventual transcendence through their expansion and use of technology.

It's a great read (and not too long), I encourage you all to look at it. Anyone who's seen Evangelion should appreciate it as well.

The Last Question.

<@Terra> he told me this, "man actually meeting terra is so fucking big", and he started crying. Then he bought me hot dogs