Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Book: What Book Are You Reading?

Rereading LotR and this time I'll actually read everything instead of filling in with movie knowledge. So far I've noticed that having read the Silmarillion (movies plz) makes a lot of things make more sense.

I might pick up Children of Hurin, but if it's just the same thing as was in the Unfinished Tales I'm not sure it's worth it.

The Alienist, its about a serial killer and pretty interesting so far.

Angels & Demons I finished it last month and it was the best book I have ever read

Quote Originally Posted by gr3atfull
    The Fionavar Tapestry trilogy. One of the best trilogy I ever read!!!! A must read!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    this is a horribly late reply, but i just finished reading the fionavar tapestry two days ago, and enjoyed it very much. the language was so powerful, but almost too powerful sometimes. i think i'm going to have to read the books again.

...cried like a baby at the end :'(

a fountain pourin' like an avalanche, comin' down the mountain
    The last of 'the Mad Russian's literary works.

I am greatly enjoying, The Brothers Karamazov. One of the first long books I've read for pleasure in a while. I'd forgotten how eloquent, yet pointed, Dostoevsky's prose is. It's truly a delightful, but somehow also sad, work.

Humans are different from animals. We must die for a reason. Now is the time for us to regulate ourselves and reclaim our dignity. The one who holds endless potential and displays his strength and kindness to the world. Only mankind has God, a power that allows us to go above and beyond what we are now, a God that we call "possibility".

The Anarchist Cookbook

I read that whenever I feel like it...if you know what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by saman
    this is a horribly late reply, but i just finished reading the fionavar tapestry two days ago, and enjoyed it very much. the language was so powerful, but almost too powerful sometimes. i think i'm going to have to read the books again.

...cried like a baby at the end :'(
    A French-Canadian buddy of mine suggested this series to me. I was greatly disappointed, until the last bit where they go their separate ways, which was heart-warming, but hardly made up for the rest of the series.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Too darn lazy to login, so just lurking in the shadows instead.
    Reading Harry Potter and the ... whatever.. Book 1.

I thought it would have sucked badly since I didn't really enjoyed the movie, but it is not half bad.

I am currently reading

Lemony Snickets; a series of unfortunate events. A bit childish but I like it as well as the style of writing. 13 books it should keep me busy for a while.

George Orwell; 1984: from the writer of animal farm, it is a pretty interesting book and it is interesting to see how it relates to modern day society.

Hamlet: Give it another go, not a fan of shakespeare but I am trying to really get a feel for the language, it is rather hard considering the level of my grammar. It is a nice reminder of poetry in itself and well it is food for thought as well.
    Last edited by dragonrage; Sat, 06-23-2007 at 04:00 PM.
    ___
    ---------------------------- "THE DROPOUT CREW"--------------------------------
    ________Deblas, IfingHateTonTon, RyougaZell, dragonrage.________

________ we may fuck up alot but we always pull thru.

Quote Originally Posted by BioAlien
    Reading Harry Potter and the ... whatever.. Book 1.

I thought it would have sucked badly since I didn't really enjoyed the movie, but it is not half bad.
    You must be joking. The books rock so much. The movies did them no justice. Kind of like LotR, except those books weren't that good either. But the Harry Potter books are so much more detailed and interesting than the movie adaptations. You should almost never see a movie before reading the book. One glaring exception is "Forrest Gump"; the movie is much better than the book.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Too darn lazy to login, so just lurking in the shadows instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Animeniax
    You must be joking. The books rock so much. The movies did them no justice. Kind of like LotR, except those books weren't that good either. But the Harry Potter books are so much more detailed and interesting than the movie adaptations.
    Why am I joking?
    I finished it yesterday, the book is really good compared to the shitty movie, I started reading the second book now, currently at the start of chapter 5.

I've just started reading Paradise Lost by John Milton.
    Haven't read a book in month before that... but since school's out, I've got all the time in the world now.

Awesome user with default custom title itadakimasu's Avatar
    CCNA 3: Switching Basics and intermediate routing...

Yeah, im loads of fun.

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries
    around my rigorous anime schedule, I've finally gotten around to starting up on Catcher in the Rye.

I feel as though it may have been a mistake to buy the book on my credit card, though.. probably would have been wiser to pay in cash. But I was buying like 8 books and didn't have that much cash on me. *shrug*

Awesome user with default custom title itadakimasu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by complich8
    around my rigorous anime schedule, I've finally gotten around to starting up on Catcher in the Rye.

I feel as though it may have been a mistake to buy the book on my credit card, though.. probably would have been wiser to pay in cash. But I was buying like 8 books and didn't have that much cash on me. *shrug*
    because only serial killers and nut jobs read that book... mel gibson actually owns 12 copies.

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries
    don't forget the terrorists...

Despite the fact that it's one of the most assigned books, there's rumors that it can you onto certain watch lists...

Quote Originally Posted by complich8
    don't forget the terrorists...

Despite the fact that it's one of the most assigned books, there's rumors that it can you onto certain watch lists...
    Ugh, I totally hated Catcher in the Rye. It's the only book I can think of where I'd be forced to put it down due to anger because I HATED the whiny, main character. Couldn't stand him for the life of me. Can't understand why some people enjoy it so much. That guy was a complete douche.

Ok ladies and gents, i have a request for you all. There is a certain book, or rather series of books, that im looking for and can't seem to find. Possibly cuz i dont remember the title or author of said books. But im hoping that since you're all such avid readers, perhaps one of you will have come across these books and could help me out.

The books are childrens fiction, the genre is horror. Ofcourse by horror, i mean 'goosebumps' not stephen king. Anyway, i think the name mite have been "something-ville"....like "______ville". But i can't be 100% sure of that. The series was very much like the Goosebumps/Fear street series. It was about a group of kids (who were all friends) that lived in a rather freaky little town. The stories always involved something wierd happening in the town. I recall one such story about an evil clone of one of the kids that came from an alternate 'evil' version of the town in another dimension or something. That same kid (a girl) always carried a Bic lighter with her, and it was kind or a running gag through out the series. There was also this one kid who was kind of like a teen version of the cliche 'crazy mystic old man that lives in a hut by himself on the outskirts of town". He wasnt part of the group, but they went to him for help/advice every now and then.

If any of this rings a bell, please let me know. I used to love these books as a kid, and i've been trying for years to remember the name of the books with no luck. Im sure someone here must have read these books as well.

Edit: never mind, the alien known as Y has solved the dilemma. He is indeed Teh Awesome
    Last edited by Assassin; Fri, 06-29-2007 at 04:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Assassin
    Ok ladies and gents, i have a request for you all. There is a certain book, or rather series of books, that im looking for and can't seem to find. Possibly cuz i dont remember the title or author of said books. But im hoping that since you're all such avid readers, perhaps one of you will have come across these books and could help me out.

The books are childrens fiction, the genre is horror. Ofcourse by horror, i mean 'goosebumps' not stephen king. Anyway, i think the name mite have been "something-ville"....like "______ville". But i can't be 100% sure of that. The series was very much like the Goosebumps/Fear street series. It was about a group of kids (who were all friends) that lived in a rather freaky little town. The stories always involved something wierd happening in the town. I recall one such story about an evil clone of one of the kids that came from an alternate 'evil' version of the town in another dimension or something. That same kid (a girl) always carried a Bic lighter with her, and it was kind or a running gag through out the series. There was also this one kid who was kind of like a teen version of the cliche 'crazy mystic old man that lives in a hut by himself on the outskirts of town". He wasnt part of the group, but they went to him for help/advice every now and then.

If any of this rings a bell, please let me know. I used to love these books as a kid, and i've been trying for years to remember the name of the books with no luck. Im sure someone here must have read these books as well.
    I already answered this on IRC but I'll post it here in case anyone else is wondering about this for some reason - it's the Spooksville series by Christopher Pike.

Quote Originally Posted by BioAlien
    Why am I joking?
    I finished it yesterday, the book is really good compared to the shitty movie, I started reading the second book now, currently at the start of chapter 5.
    I thought you were joking because the books rule and are an international best seller, even if they were originally meant for kids. Also, movies almost always suck compared to the books, so I thought you were kidding when you said you thought the books would suck because the movies sucked.