Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Book: What Book Are You Reading?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Book: What Book Are You Reading?

Eh, I'm bored. And in need of a good book. Any books you recommend? Any Genre.
    MmmMmm. Ooiiishiii

That place over there........ahh never mind

RE: Good Books recommend?

Read lord of the rings

R.I.P Captain America.

If you like computers and encryption, I suggest you go with Angels and Demons, The Da Vinchi Code, and Digital Fortress all by Dan Brown. All very good books about hacking and encrypting (their fictional stories, their not like guides or anything). Hope I could help.

DragonLance, start with Chronicles or The Legend of Huma.

Originally posted by: Knives122
    Read lord of the rings
    those books are the shit, no one should die before reading them.

if ur into fantasy adventure

Try the "drizzt books"
    bij R.A. Salvatore. they're quite well written.
    it's about an dark elf ( drow) which lives underground ( the underdark ), escaping his evil family and society. trying to find a home and place in the surface world.

you could start with the icewind dale trilogy.
    or the with the dark elf trilogy ( the prequel )

Missing Nin

Good Books recommend?

if you're into sci-fi in ANYWAY i insist you get alastair reynolds revelation space series (revelation space, chasm city, redemption ark, absolution gap), its superb. its hard sci-fi as its written by a physicist so all the stuff in it is like, plausible but still v futuristic, and he explains a lot of how the stuff works, its v interesting even if ur not a physics geek like me. the characters and storyline are jst mindboggling how they all fit together when you finish the books. seriously, ive not read a book with a better plot yet. its jst too cool! im saving his newest book (absolution gap) for my holiday [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] then i can read it uninterrupted on my long plane and train journeys. so yeah, make sure if uve got a spare bit of cash you buy this book. it should be on amazon.co.uk so its available to all amazon sites!!!

Good Books recommend?

Here are some books I've enjoyed, in no particular order:

1. William Gibson: Neuromancer (a classic); Pattern Recognition (his newest, centered around a group of people who post in an online forum [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img] )

2. Sean Stewart: Ressurection Man; Night Watch

3. Jen Banbury: Like a Hole in the Head

4. Karen Joy Fowler: Sarah Canary

5. Milorad Pavic: Dictionary of the Khazars (odd)

6. Jonathan Lethem: Gun, with Occasional Music

7. Isaac Asimov: I, Robot (enjoying renewed popularity with the movie coming out, too bad the movie looks like it sucks)

8. Terry Pratchett: Small Gods, The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents (both funny, satire)

9. Douglas Adams: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (funny)

10. The Tale of the Heike (classic Japanese samurai tale, lots of wars, betrayals, last minute rescues, acts of the gods, etc)

11. Only Companion, edited by Sam Hamill (poetry I like)

Awesome user with default custom title Uchiha Barles's Avatar

Good Books recommend?

Couldn't agree more with the people who said Dragonlance and RA Salvatore. There was an earlier thread about the strongest wizard ever, Raistlin from the Chronicles and Legends would own them all. My favorite book of all time though has to be Dune. Man, that book has everything including the most intricate plot I've ever had the pleasure of reading, a vididly detailed world, and all the trappings of action and drama you could hope for, all wrapped up in a wonderous science fiction setting.
    "You are not free whose liberty is won by the rigour of other, more righteous souls. Your are merely protected. Your freedom is parasitic, you suck the honourable man dry and offer nothing in return. You who have enjoyed freedom, who have done nothing to earn it, your time has come. This time you will stand alone and fight for yourselves. Now you will pay for your freedom in the currency of honest toil and human blood."

- Inquisitor Czevak

wow really? imma start reading that book

Hmm. Didn't like Dune. But I'll give DragonLance a try. I heard their as good or better than Merlin series. But newer.

I just finished reading the Hannibal Lector Trilogy.

LOTR, urgh.. too descriptive. Wasn't as enjoyable as the movie. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
    MmmMmm. Ooiiishiii

Douglas Adams was a genius the hicthikers Guide to the Galaxy is so funny,i have never laugh so much at a book.

I gonna start mission Adams meaning reading all of Douglas Adams books[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Anyway i recomend Count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas if you havent read it.

Any Tom Clancy book is good if you like spy books.

Quote Originally Posted by Hakeem_21
    Anyway I recommend Count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas if you haven't read it.
    I concur. Watching a movie version of it is not enough, too much is left out. The book is great.

Also, anything by Bernard Cornwell is amazing. He is an historical fiction writer, who basically takes a point in history (a period, war, or specific battle), creates a character, and tells the story through that character's point of view.

His books about medieval Europe are fantastic. He has a three-book series about King Arthur (beginning with The Winter King), a 3-book series called The Grail Quest (beginning with The Archer's Tale), which takes place during the early Hundred Years War, a currently 4-book series The Saxon Tales, with a fifth book in the works, about the danish invasion of england during the reign of Alfred the Great (beginning with The Last Kingdom). And a novel called Agincourt, a new release, which is about the epic battle of Agincourt during the Hundred Years War. Plus many, many other novels and series', including the widely popular Sharpe series (some may have seen the TV show based on it) and the Nathaniel Starbuck Chronicles.

My favorite of his books is easily the Saxon Tales novels and I'm dying for the 5th book to come out. I also absolutely loved the Grail Quest series.

If you're looking for a great story full of adventure and action, and maybe even a little historical accuracy as a bonus, you can't go wrong with Cornwell's books.

http://www.bernardcornwell.net/

If you've read the Lord of the Rings or seen the movies already, read The Hobbit which is the prelude to the lord of the rings.

Missing Nin

yeah the hobbit is good

I agree with Krbadass and r3n, The Hobbit is a great book. Also, I really liked these: (1) The Catcher in the Rye and (2) Seabiscuit
    This fantastic Sousuke sig was made by the one and only Lucifus! Thanks man!

Horray! a thread about books!!!

anyway, some of my favorites:

the Tales of the Otori series -Lian Hearn
    an excellent fantasy/samurai trilogy, that takes place in feudal japan.

Jitterbug Perfume - Tom Robbins
    or anything by Tom Robbins, really. I love reading his books - the plots are always outlandish, and hilarious, and his language is incredibly descriptive. One particular metaphor sticks out in my mind: "her panties were so wet, children could of sailed boats in them". but don't get the wrong idea - sex is only a small part of his books.

The Sparrow - Mary Doria Russel
    scifi book abut a Jesuit mission to the alien planet rakhat. the scifi aspect of the novel itself is not all that impressive -The story, though is pretty enthralling. it reminded me a lot of the later books of the Ender's Game series - i.e. Speaker for the Dead.

Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card
    I can't believe no one has mentioned this one yet! I read first when I was 11 - and iIstill love it. a scifi novel about ender, a boy sent to a children's military school for geniuses.

Cryptonomicon - Neal Stephenson
    as mentioned by mae in some other thread -
    About data encryption, spanning from WWII to the present. funny too. one of my favorite scenes is of a uber-geeky family trying to distribute their dead grandmothers things equally - and set up a giant cartesian plane in a parking lot, x being monetary value of an item, y being the sentimental value.

and of course, LOTR and Hitchikers's guide to the galaxy.

has anyone read the Silmarillion? i couldn't get into it.

Genin
    Quote Originally Posted by InnerSakuraChan
    Horray! a thread about books!!!

has anyone read the Silmarillion? i couldn't get into it.
    I read it Since it was never completed, its quite different in its presentation from the Lord of the Rings (The Hobbit is part of the Lord of the Rings). The Silmarillion is quite amazing if you like reading about different types of mythos. This is Tolkien's version of the creation of his world. There is a lot of name-dropping and if you read it, you get to know some of the characters from The Lord of the Rings and how they have interacted with the world. If you have prior knowledge of other creation stories (The ancient Greek's and the Enuma Elish just to name a few) its great to compare and contrast. Its cool seeing how creative genius' of an age relate to that of another.
    By the way, if you are to read this book, then you might as well read the rest of the Series made by Tolkien. History of Middle-Earth. The Lord of the Rings and the Silmarillion is included in this series.

As for the Ender Series: it was one of my favourites growing up (in fact its one of the books that made me into the avid reader that I am). I don't remember much from them though (it has been quite a while) so i'll probably end up re-reading them.

If you read 1984, you have to read Brave New World. Those two books almost always go hand in hand in a conversation. (DO NOT SEE THE MOVIES)

@ samsonlonghair Fahrenheit-451 was awesome My best Lit professor had us read that along with a whole slew of other amazingly good books (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance was the best out of those)

@ masamuneehs Catch-22 is a hit or miss book. I know quite a few people who've read that book and they've either hated it or found it to be one of their favs (its def. one of my favs). The book is definitely funny as hell IMO (i love hupples cat). If you've ever seen Meerkat Manor, they name one of the Meerkats Yosarian after the main character in this book

Pride and Prejudice was a good Classic book.

the Satanic Verses : Only read this is you are willing to dissect the hell out of the book. It is interpreted by A LOT of people and is known primarily for that.

Life According to Garp One of my favourite books of all time. It was hilarious

Breakfast for Champions A really funny book. Written by the same guy who wrote Slaughterhouse-Five which was also very funny

Song of Solomon had a really funny quote in it "smells like the ocean, tastes like the sea" (it should be obvious what its about). Other than that, it wasn't very humorous. It was a required read and it was...well something for me to read at the time.

The Wheel of Time Series is what i'm currently into. I hate ending books, so i get myself into series so that i wont have to end anytime soon. Each book is around 1000 pages (paperback) (there are 11 books in circulation. The author is terminally ill but will release the last one (if he doesn't die) by 2010 i think) and its great for entertainment. Its universe sort of parallels Tolkiens (very loosely). If you like fantasy, check it out.

umm... all the other books that come to mind are from my classes last year(Greek and Romany Mythology and 2 lit classes) so if you really want to know some of the authors i can tell you but from what i see, this doesn't seem to interest you. If i am mistaken just pm me and i'll be more than happy to give you some names I didn't like some of the books from one of my Lit class because the prof. only had us reading depressing books about African women's struggles. She was, by far, the ugliest looking person i've ever seen...<shudders> just thinking about the class makes me queasy.

btw people, please bold-face your titles. It makes looking for a book THAT much easier and its grammatically correct.
    i saved a unicorn

Lasers? Cookies? FTW!
    (universally beloved
    moderator ex-emerita)
    Since we were talking about this thread in the introductions section, I thought I'd bring it back.

I'm currently reading Harrowing the Dragon, a collection of short stories by Patricia McKillip. She's one of my favourite authors, and this book doesn't disappoint. As much as I love long epic sagas, I'm a compulsive reader, and tend to read for hours (I will read through a book in a day or too, so I'm careful about when I start books), so short stories are nice mid-week reading for me. I can read one or two without missing a night of sleep. Short stories are also more difficult to write I think, because everything that the author wants to convey must be fit within a limited number of pages, and they must also use these meager pages to create an absorbing and detailed world that will draw the reader in. When a short story is done right though, it's so worthwhile.

everything by mario puzo