Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617

Thread: Book: What Book Are You Reading?

Quote Originally Posted by NeoCybercoin View Post
    Ahhh that. I liked it. It was my first book of the series so I was excited since I heard a lot bout the series. It was some getting used to since there was just so much information. Sometimes I thought "Wow...80 pages in the book and nothing happened" But I reminded myself that it was a prequel so not really significant could happen. Other than that I liked it.
    Be prepared for a love and hate relationship, overall I've loved the series. But the books are massive and there are lots of times when it seems like the story isn't moving, particularly from book 7-11. But the last 2 have been very good, so now waiting for the final volume to come out to finish up the series.

Just read Time for Outrage (Indignez-vous!) by Stéphane Hessel. It only took about a half-hour. It's about the size of a thick passport.

Pretty good read. Very thought provoking.

Blog Entries
    My favourite fantasy series is by Steven Erikson, The first book is called 'Gardens of the Moon' and the series is called the 'Malazan books of the Fallen'. The series is quite long, but very rewarding; Erikson has a Doctorate in Archeology and this can be seen in his creation of not only a diverse set of civilizations, but in his perspectives on a vast pantheon of new gods. The series is also credited for it's ability to kill of it's main characters tactfully, and by doing this humanizes their persona's allowing the reader to reach what Aristotle called catharsis, the point in any tragedy when the audience can truly empathize with a protagonist and reach an 'emotional release'.

Besides all that though it is a really entertaining series, action, laughs, and characters of both epic and tragic proportions.
    It's better to burn out than to fade away

The Infernals by John Connolly or Hell's Bells to the folks in the UK. It's the second book; first was The Gates, it's very fun to read and has a unique feel to it. The Infernals seems to have the same feel but doesn't have the same depth to it. Hope my opinion changes. It's great for something lite to read.

p.s. It was first released in the UK as Hell's Bells then later released in the US as The Infernals don't excatly understand why but thought you would like to know.
    Last edited by dragonrage; Thu, 01-05-2012 at 11:17 PM.
    ___
    ---------------------------- "THE DROPOUT CREW"--------------------------------
    ________Deblas, IfingHateTonTon, RyougaZell, dragonrage.________

________ we may fuck up alot but we always pull thru.

Awesome user with default custom title NeoCybercoin's Avatar
    The Wheel of Time- Dragon Reborn. I am just devouring all of these books.

Just finished, doesn't have the uniqueness, but that is to be expected since it's the second book. A very satisfying read. Definitely something worth reading.
    ___
    ---------------------------- "THE DROPOUT CREW"--------------------------------
    ________Deblas, IfingHateTonTon, RyougaZell, dragonrage.________

________ we may fuck up alot but we always pull thru.

Just finished reading A Memory of Light after rereading the entire series again (minus New Spring). Fantastic book, best one in the entire series by far. The damn epilogue was quite disappointing though. The last battle comes and goes and we get no info at all as to what happens afterwards.

I still find it hard to believe that this series is over. It is going to be impossible to find another series like this one.
    Dreaming impossible dreams.
    Sapphire is awesome!

Awesome user with default custom title NeoCybercoin's Avatar
    I totally agree with you Abdula.

I just read Alterworld on Kindle, and it's sequel The Clan. Very good books, and the 3rd is coming out around New Years. Very similar in style to the Light Novels Legendary Moonlight Sculptor and Ark, which I'm also reading as the chapters come out.

As for what they're about...

LMS:
    The man forsaken by the world, the man a slave to money and the man known as the legendary God of War in the highly popular MMORPG Continent of Magic. With the coming of age, he decides to say goodbye, but the feeble attempt to earn a little something for his time and effort ripples into an effect none could ever have imagined. Through a series of coincidences, his legendary avatar is sold for 3.1 billion won, bringing great joy to him, only to plunge him into despair at losing almost all of it to vicious loan sharks. With revelation of money through gaming, he rises from the abyss with new found resolve and steps forward into the new age of games led by the first ever Virtual Reality MMORPG, Royal Road. This is the legend of Lee Hyun on his path to becoming Emperor with only his family loving heart, his boundless desire for money, his unexpected mind, his diligently forged body and the talent of hard work backing him.

Ark:
    Kim Hyun Woo lived the life of the wealthy thanks to his parents. But one day, he received a phone call informing him of a traffic accident which involved them. His father had died and his mother was hospitalized in critical condition. The normal life he once knew collapsed...

They sold their house, canceled various insurance plans, and moved to a one room apartment. And after a few years, Hyun Woo was spending four to six hours tending to his mother and worked to pay for her medical bills.

One day, one of his instructors recommended him for position in a company called Global Exos, which made an announcement of making history with its newest technological invention.

Alterworld:
    A new pandemic - the perma effect - has taken over Earth of the near future. Whenever you play your favorite online game, beware: your mind might merge with the virtual world and dump its comatose host. Woe be to those stuck forever in Tetris! And still they're the lucky ones compared to those burning alive eternally within the scorched hulls of tank simulators.

But some unfortunates - the handicapped and the terminally ill, shell-shocked army vets, wronged crime victims and other society misfits - choose to flee real life willingly, escaping to the limitless world of online sword and sorcery MMORPGs.

Once a seasoned gamer and now a terminal cancer patient, Max grasps at this final chance to preserve his life and identity. So he goes for it - goes for the promise of immortality shared with a few trusty friends and the woman he loves. Together they roam the roads of AlterWorld and sample its agony and ecstasy born of absolute freedom.