Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516

Thread: Manga: Hajime no Ippo

ANBU Captain
    I hope he wins just so sends and ippo fight more world level fights. I mean ippo has that match against mexico's #2 contender. That should be an impossible fight for him unless he gets some different experience or training. It's becoming more and more apparent that he can't just slug out these next couple fights.
    Also kudos to the berserk mangaka's rendition of takamura

Quote Originally Posted by toonice714 View Post
    Also kudos to the berserk mangaka's rendition of takamura
    I totally want that poster on my wall

Chapter 1007 is out.

I'm glad this fight is finally over. It lasted way too many chapters.

ANBU Captain
    Man I know this manga isn't widely popular but there's like 6 raw chapters out....1010 to like 1014 is out. This seems like the chapters are goin great but it looks like ippo's power is coming in to question

Supposedly after that spar with Sendo, everyone knew Ippo was losing it.

ANBU Captain
    Yeah maybe the amount of hits he's taking are proving to be too much. Also it seems like coach kamogowa(sp?) doesn't have much for ippo to learn. Maybe takamura will take over...it seems like he has more and more scenes where his advice overshadows the coach. He is more mature when in comes to boxing and he does do a lot of his own training. Maybe one day he will be more suited to step in as a corner man as the series progresses

Awesome user with default custom title neflight86's Avatar
    It appears now that Ippo's half-hearted resolve of only wanting to minimize damage and make it out safe for his mother's sake is a liability.

Methinks this ark will be about solidifying what Ippo's definition of the 'strength' he seeks is. That's long overdue in my opinion, and the perfect way to segway into this series's final focus of the world stage.

Chapter 1021 is out.

I kinda wished they would skip the undercard fights and go straight to Ippo's fight!

ANBU Captain
    1025 is out and it's gettin thick!! This fight started in 5th GEAR!! Get some Imai!!

Chapter 1035 is out.

Nice to see Ippo looking like a world class fighter for once.

ANBU Captain
    I'm glad he isn't getting knocked around by a punch that surprised him. For once he came out looking good after a high level exchange. Great progression for ippo. Maybe we might see a decision win or the first win or loss by decision. I think it will be the first time one of ippo's fights goes to the 12th without a KO

ANBU Captain
    I'd if anyone still keeps up with this but 1054 is out and I think this will be the first dominating loss ippo might take.....doesn't look like the Dempsey roll is gonna save him :-/

It looks to me like a "perfect storm" is brewing for his comeback KO since he hasn't used dempsy roll during this fight yet (surprisingly I didn't notice until they mentioned it) along with Gonzalez switching to his preferred style at the same time.

If it allows Ippo to win after that whooping he's been taking; quite frankly being out boxed, that will not bode well for his title fight afterwords, as Martenez makes no mistakes, is caught off guard by nothing, and has the stamina to see his fights through.

Unfortunately, this fight has shown that by and large, Ippo is still the underdog and the challenger. It is going to kind of hurt if he pulls a surprise win out of luck for a fight with the stakes this high. I feel it would lend to the notion that Ippo is still an incomplete boxer in spite of his accomplishments. If that is the case, the author is going to have a very challenging task indeed convincing me of such in a satisfactory manner.

ANBU Captain
    Honestly I would prefer ippo lose then refine a new type of technique instead of a one trick pony of fundamentals and power. It would be nice to see ippo as a hybrid type but it's simply just not in his character or fighting style. Honestly he is forced to play chess with a more clever and experienced fighter. Now back when it was more local that was fine, however these world class fighters have learned subtle tricks to rack points and frustrate opponents into second guessing there skills.

Looks like Ippo is going to win via his opponent's stupid character flaw, not from his own skills. I would love to see the Dempsey Roll get completely shut down and Ippo have to build himself back up. If he wins, he'll be next in line for Martinez, and if he's struggling this much against the #2, how will he beat the champion, who's a better version of Gonzalez?

1069 is out.

Best development in YEARS is his second real loss and the start of his next stage of growth as a boxer. Not to mention that at the rate he was going, there would be no opportunity for Takamura to get/try for more Belts.

1202 is out.

Did not see that coming. Ippo's journey in boxing comes to a sudden and tragic end. Looks like he'll just have to be satisfied with finding out "what it means to be strong", instead of becoming champion, though he's never said aloud that that's what he wanted. I'm genuinely depressed reading the end of this fight. His accumulated damage has been hinted at for the last few fights (years), and this is not unrealistic given how he fought all this time, but I guess... I wanted my friend Ippo to succeed on the world stage.

Eyes dried and looking forward to the next development! Will the story wrap up now, or will the focus shift to remaining boxers? Or is there some hope against hope of Ippo's return? Doubtful, but at this point, no matter what it is, I gotta see it through.

Very depressing chapter. I don't know what could come of this. Maybe Morikawa is not able to continue with the series.

1216 is out

Don't tease me like this, Morikawa! These last few chapters have gone from Ippo's acceptance of his retirement to suggesting he might need to go back into the ring, unable to live without boxing. It is even driven home that his symptoms have subsided, and he is still plenty enough in shape to compete. Will him being a second serve as the segway to getting back in the ring, like Kumi fears?

Also deliberately absent are the coach and Takamura. Looking forward to what happens next!