Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 313738394041

Thread: Desktop Thread!

Blog Entries
    How do you read manga then?

Is that a spinning top or a step-drill bit in the bottom wallpaper? Nice and simple wallpaper, kudos.

“For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?”

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Archangel View Post
    How do you read manga then?
    The only manga I read at the moment is claymore. I just unzip, read then discard.

Quote Originally Posted by Animeniax
    Is that a spinning top or a step-drill bit in the bottom wallpaper?
    That would be a drill bit from the anime Gurren Lagann. I don't know if it was completely photoshopped, or if it was purchasable merchandise.

Guess it's a bit of both.
    http://www.amazon.com/Gurren-Lagann-.../dp/B0027BOD94

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Oh cool, I love step drill bits. So damn useful for so many projects. Hex socket bits are also amazingly useful tools:

pb_ksm41324544638.jpg

Now I need to find a place to dl Gurren Lagann.

“For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?”

No, no you really don't need to watch that show at all. Goddamn stupid catchphrases.
    Dreaming impossible dreams.
    Sapphire is awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian View Post
    That looks so low quality that it's insulting the show, where that small drill was probably the toughest object of all.

Yours is a very nice desktop background, though. Elegantly simple.

new wallpaper.
    Number of works of fiction that made me shed at least one tear: 3
    Thou seeketh soul power, dost thou not?
    TOX: 33524385841A92B08787EEBEBA2DB51ED293C4F15A2E292F3F C92165E82388281433A77EA8FE

My (unofficial, unsanctioned) setup at the office (possibly NSFW):

IMG_20130912_080517.jpg

LOL! What do you need 4 screens for?!??!

Though, I have to admire your commitment to the booty.
    "Leaving hell is not the same as entering it." - Tierce Japhrimel

Actually it's 3 screens connected to a GTX770 on a personal desktop. The laptop is where I do work .

There's a dearth of good triple monitor wallpaper, so there's an extremely limited selection to choose from, hence the booties image. I've found some single-screen images that look awesome when stretched to fill 3 screens.

My current wallpaper is this lovely soccer fan:

507984-2560x1707.jpg

I've finally upgraded my monitor after a lot of convincing. Now I've got a 24", 1920x1080 (wow, I know!) monitor to use as my main. My 17" 1280x1024 monitor steps aside as a secondary. I've clocked 93 291 hours (10.6 years) on the backlight, but the manufacturing date is 03/2007 so who knows what went on there.

I've also been using the Windows Start Bar on the left to maximise vertical space for 5 months now and I've come to love it. It looks weird on a 15", 1600x900 laptop screen but I think when a screen becomes large enough to the point where you can't focus on the entire screen at once, symmetry doesn't matter.

With a low black level of 0.03cd/m2, black looks gorgeous. Everything else just stands out (not that it can be appreciated from a screencap). A high contrast ratio translates to better photorealism.

edit: oh, and 120Hz is nice. See it to feel it. Light-strobing too when you manage to push enough frames.
    Last edited by Buffalobiian; Wed, 04-08-2015 at 10:08 AM.

Looks good, Buff. Surprised it took you so long to go to a 24" monitor. I want to go to the larger screens like a 27" S-IPS, but that will wait until a good enough game comes out on the PC.

My current desktop on the work PC:
    desktop.png

I didn't upgrade because my old monitor was still functional. There was also an argument that 720p anime looked great on it without any scaling necessary. A smaller monitor also meant a graphics card didn't have to work as hard. 1080 doesn't give much more vertical height over 1024, that's another reason.

While I do like the extra space for viewing some form of chat/2nd-browser on the side monitor it is a chore to turn it off when watching movies or playing games. I do my activities in an otherwise lights-out environment so having asymetrical brightness on one side of my vision annoys me when central focus or immersion is a big deal.

If I was getting a monitor soon, I'd be looking out for the Acer Predator XB270HU. It's a 120Hz, 27" IPS screen with pretty good colour accuracy, fast pixels and low input lag. Motion blur reduction is also great. The only drawback is the IPS-glow which makes blacks look bad and results in a low contrast ratio relative to VA-panels.

On the other hand, VA panels have great blacks and contrast but sacrifice pixel responses as well as some colour fidelity (gamma shift can be annoying when noticed). I've noticed this on the Eizo FG2421, which probably has the fastest pixel response in VA monitor.

For a non-movie, non-gaming, general-use screen however I'd be all over the Samsung S34E790C. 34", curved VA goodness. Curving screens at that size for a computer monitor actually makes sense. For TVs it's pretty useless unless you're talking about 70"+.
    Last edited by Buffalobiian; Wed, 04-08-2015 at 11:39 AM.

Since the last entry, I've dropped the 17" 4:3 secondary and used a 22" 16:10 monitor instead.

Now, 2x 22" 1920x1080 IPS monitors in portrait mode as secondaries.

The point was to use these for PDFs. Textbooks are now readable.

Any book, really. Like manga.

Or H-manga.

Yeah. H-manga looks soo good now.