Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Codecs and Players

Codecs and Players

If you have playback issues here is a little thread with codecs and such to make sure you have these before asking for problems.

Lots of people seem to be having playback issues so I thought I would create this thread so that they may come here and make sure they have the codecs needed to play the files. I also put up some players that are common or are well liked by the community.

If there are some other codecs and/or players or other good utilities that are missing (and there is, I know, this is like a starter guide) and would like them up,just reply and I will add them to this post. If some of the links don't work also reply and say something.

It might be a good idea for some of you people that don't know, to read the following, it might help you out. First off uninstall all of the codecs that are currently on your machine, get all the codecs here and install them, reboot and there you have it. Also, you can go the alternative way and install the CCCP which is a codec pack, and has many items inside of it. It would be best not to install the individual codecs then install the CCCP, as this will cause conflicts and irritation.

Now, for people who have codecs installed and can't figure out why they can't seem to play a certain video file, than GSpot is the little utility for you it will check to see what codecs are needed to play the file, and then you can come here and download it, and if it isn't here you can say what one you need and find me a link if you can and it will be added for other people.

Combined Community Codec Pack:

CCCP - Only codec pack worth mentioning, if you have problems with the lower half, try uninstalling all video and audio codecs, then install this.

Codecs and stuff:

Virtual Dub
    DivX
    XviD Binary - Binary (.exe) For the Source XviD.org
    FFDShow - Get the .exe, get the source if you know how to compile it.
    AC3 Filter - Get the .exe, get the source if you know how to compile it.
    MP3
    Vobsub 2.23 - Direct Link
    OggDs - This is a codec used to play OGM files along with VobSub.
    on2 VP6 Decoder
    .mkv - Get the codec needed to play .mkv files here.

Players:

VLC Player - Nice player, as you don't need codecs.
    Core Media Player
    Media Player Classic
    View Cast Player
    BSPlayer - This is the player that I use.

Other

GSpot - Checks to see what codecs are needed.
    AFreeCodecVT - Like GSpot.
    Last edited by kAi; Tue, 03-28-2006 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Updated links!

Awesome user with default custom title Jman's Avatar

Codecs and Players

Good stuff. Seems like a few ppl have been having problems as of late. They should place a stickie on this thread.

Formerly known as 'Animemaster'

Codecs and Players

I noticed that you missed OggDs. This is a codec used to play OGM files along with VobSub.

RE: Codecs and Players

ok is there an order to how you install them or any tricks to make them work the best?

nah, pretty much just install them.

Well, it depends on what you're playing. DO NOT INSTALL DIVX 5.0. It's a pain in the ass.

If you have both Xvid and Divx 5.0 installed on your comp. They will both try to render the .avi files. If your .avi is either xvid or divx.
    Right now I only have Xvid and ffdshow installed. My ffdshow decodes divx 3.11 divx 4. While my Xvid decodes Xvid and Divx 5.0.

I also have other stuff for MKV play back and OGMs.

This keeps things much cleaner.

naitsabes

So then which codec is best for .avi's?

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries

avi is a container, it holds audio and video streams. codecs are what are used to encode (and play back) those audio or video streams. So that's not a very good question ...

I suggest what a lot of other people suggest ... if you're playing normal stuff, install the latest xvid (which will decode xvid and divx5), install the latest ffdshow for divx 3/4, install ac3filter if you're watching stuff with ac3 audio streams, and only install other stuff (like ogm splitters and stream switchers and subtitle filters) if you need them.

As far as an overall "best" codec, the 4 major stream codecs (xvid, divx5, wmv9, real) all have their own strengths and weaknesses. Because they do things differently, there's no clear "best", if that's what you're asking. But Xvid is probably the most versatile single codec for playback as well as the best quality for decoding xvid stuff, and ffdshow is the most versatile overall (being able to decode just about everything you throw at it).

Codecs and Players

hi, i got some problem here.. when i start the naruto ova.. it only produce sounds i cant see videos.. sorry i dont know how to make that work.. can someone please help me here.. and i dont know what codec is.. sorry.. im very sorry..

ok it works now.. i had download all of that man.. hehe TY for this link!... take care

Codecs and Players

i still have a problem. i downloaded all the newset codecs, xvid and ffdshow and a bunch of other stuff, but i still cant play naruto. does anyone know why?

Blog Entries

Codecs and Players

Originally posted by: mrla119
    i still have a problem. i downloaded all the newset codecs, xvid and ffdshow and a bunch of other stuff, but i still cant play naruto. does anyone know why?

You might have too many codecs on your system at once that could be causing some sort of compaitablity error. Just uninstall all your codecs and pick one from the list Kai posted, I say go for divx.
    irc.gotwoot.net #gotwoot

Kitkat makes great signatures!

quanta2998

Codecs and Players

I'm having a problem running your Aquarion releases.

Without FFDshow installed, it runs but it's too slow and the voices and lips don't match up.

Once I install it, it starts to look like two pictures are becoming interlaced into one and it keeps jumping between the two pictures making it unwatchable.

I ran Gspot on the files and it says I have all the required codecs.

I tried using VLC and while that runs better, every 10 minutes or so, a shot freezes and I lose about 30 seconds of video before it reloads again.

Any solutions?

Blog Entries

Codecs and Players

Go for an older video player like Media player Classic. Also whats the stats on your computer?
    irc.gotwoot.net #gotwoot

Kitkat makes great signatures!

Codecs and Players

I found a codec pack which pretty much has what kAi posted. If you install this pack, you won't need to download anything else, the codecs in the pack will be sufficient. The pack has the following:
    - AC3Filter
    - CoreAAC
    - CoreVorbis
    - Haali media splitter
    - OggDS
    - VSFilter
    - Customized ffdshow build
    - wmv9
    - Xvid's decoder

Just install this and you should be fine.
    Zhentarim's Codec Pack
    This fantastic Sousuke sig was made by the one and only Lucifus! Thanks man!

Codecs and Players

That's pretty much what I found on anime-legion's site known as the Combined Comunity Codec Pack downloaded here:

http://www.kickassanime.org/wi...8aka_Get_it_Here.21.29

Filter Pack Containing:
    VSFilter 2.36 (+ border fix) - Subtitle renderer for softsubs
    Haali Matroska Splitter (6/07/2005) - Required for MKV playback
    OggDS 0.9.9.5 - Required for OGM playback
    CoreVorbis 1.0 - Decoder for OGG audio in MKV files
    CoreAAC (2/24/2005) - Decoder for AAC audio in MKV files
    ffdshow (6/07/2005) - Decoder for H.264, XviD, and DivX video
    WM9VCM - Decoder for WMV9 video
    AC3Filter 0.70b + fix - Decoder for AC3 audio
    Media Player Classic (MPC) 6.4.8.4 - One of the recommended players
    ZoomPlayer 4.50 RC1 standard - The other recommended player

For futher updated versions can be found here:

http://anime-legion.net/legion/downloads.htm

It seems that many people are starting to use this codec pack and have reported no troubles that I know of, I haven't tried it myself

Codecs and Players

um i hate to be a pest but can i ask for help to install the cccp cause it looks like it might be hard to install

if someone can im me and help me out that would be great

my im name is

ponyfeatherz22 and im on aim

Codecs and Players

Last edited by Thi3f; Wed, 01-09-2019 at 05:10 PM.

Codecs and Players

a good player for watching naruto is....... elecard mpeg 3.0....... isnt choppy and i think its better than Divx...

Codecs and Players

hi guys
    can anyone help me? why is the frame rate going faster then sound while watching avi. is that any codec that i didnt install or updated? thanks

shiokenstar

Codecs and Players

I can't seem to get Windows Movie Maker to open any Naruto episodes. Also, I have no idea how to uninstall/install codecs and stuff, could someone tell me how? One more thing, the CCCP link doesn't seem to be working...