Thread: Manga: Recommendations

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    7 Seeds. My brain cannot even. Wow. This is Jurassic Park, Battle Royale, Lost, Walking Dead, Swan Song, and pure fucking awesomeness. I haven't freaked out this much since I don't know when. I can't believe this is Josei and not Seinen. Completely unpredictable series. This is probably the best manga I've ever read, and probably one of the best works of fiction I've read PERIOD.

Warning: This manga is also terrifying at some points. I think there is a scene straight out of Izumi Kyouka's Kōya Hijiri, a work known for its horrific sublime imagery. The author of 7 Seeds is very thoughtful, and I think one of the genres here is Mystery because the whole story is a tumultuous journey of shocking reveals that just make sense. I think I might come out of reading this a little traumatized.

Silver/Gold. Two WTF series. Josei series. Smut. Emotional roller-coaster ride. Lots of sex and crazy twists. Unpredictable. Gripping. Best SMUT author I've read.

-

I am rendered utterly incoherent, nearly speechless because I've been on a week long manga bender and I'm in the middle of crying in flabbergasted, amazed and painful wonder at 7 Seeds which I'm on volume 7 of. When I'm coherent I might write a proper review. But then, I said that about Swan Song... Swan Song is good but 7 Seeds takes all the best elements from all of the above series I mentioned and turns it into one incomprehensible orgasm of literary fun.

In these works, there is very little of that despicable "Japanese Slapstick" obvious humor which tends to be so prevalent in mainstream manga.

As these works are all Josei, I daresay the characters are a bit more authentic and a bit less conventional than your average run of the mill manga. I suppose these would be called Josei rather than Shounen because there's no heartwarming give it your all and defeat evil as one last trumpcard bullshit. There's no happy-go-lucky believe in yourself and you'll win crap. The characters in these works climb the harsh mountain of success one step at a time and arrive with fingernails covered in blood and tear-soaked eyes. It gets to the nitty gritty and stays there and wrenches your heart with simultaneous emotions of compassion and fear all the while.

Don't spoil yourself with synopsis'. Just dive in.
    Last edited by Sapphire; Thu, 11-17-2011 at 11:37 AM.
    "Leaving hell is not the same as entering it." - Tierce Japhrimel