Thread: Little something + Discussion about animation?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Awesome user with default custom title KrayZ33's Avatar

Little something + Discussion about animation in Anime?

So, I came across this little piece here

Thought someone liked that little something

And while I'm opening a thread, I might as well leave some thoughts in here, none of them are new but I figured they'd fit in as alternative context:

I wondered, how come this kind of "minimalistic style" is so rarely chosen as an artistic alternative to low effort generic stills that are used in anime.

I mean, it doesn't have to be *this* style specifically, but sometimes, when I see concept art and storyboard drawings... I start thinking about how they'd probably look better if properly animated than the actual end product.
    Most companies pick the easy way out when animating scenes, hardly anything is moving in that picture, ugly CGI, borign camera angles... etc. etc.

Why not pick some new style or something artistic instead. Why won't we see more like Panty&Stocking, that switched in and out between 2 different styles, that was pretty cool.

Just pick that part right at the end of the clip, where the character is killing soldiers while prone.
    Maybe you can find a scene that is similar in an anime, but I at least can not think of any right now..
    When I think about how such a scene, or scenes with snipers in general, would've been animated in Anime, even if the situation is hectic, the camera angles are more often than not focused on something that takes all the momentum out of such a scene.

Where are cowboy bebop camera angles and fight animations gone to these days. That shit was awesome
    How come all that has become something only reserved for movies/OVAs
    I find it a bit weird that shows from 10-20 years ago have better animations than "high quality" ones these days.
    Soul eater comes to mind too. That fight in episode 1? Probably going to remember that for another 20 years, or maybe for a lifetime.

Is colouring manga pages and animating a mouth that expensive? Because honestly, that's what more than half animes (at least most of them) bother to show and do these days. How low are budgets these days for such shows?
    It's kinda frustrating. Action shows aside - what about the slice of life/comedy stuff or even "dramas".

If I compare Hyouka and what's going on on the screen during a normal conversation and compare that what like most others companies do for the same kind of conversation I can't help but think "what the fuck" - they just showed one picture for 30 seconds, *nothing* moved other than the gap of his mouth.

Sure thing, not every anime needs good animation, Konosuba for example certainly doesn't (yet it actually had some good and interesting ones). Most comedy shows really don't, they are supposed to be silly and about the jokes.
    But shows that are supposed to show action, should actually feel like action shows and have something interesting to look at.
    Even shows like Overlord, are so awful in terms of animation, it pretty much ruins the whole thing. Especially if you compare the style you see in the LN pictures and compare it to what you see in the anime. It doesn't capture anything of that in the slightest and if that's the case, an anime about it is kinda missing the point.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; Wed, 05-01-2019 at 04:44 PM.