Of course, first impressions are important for any media, but I wanted to discuss the absolute best first episodes of anime, as we know them. This has been on my mind for a while as a fun topic, so lets list what we feel are the best first episodes of anime we know of. This isn’t to say that the entire animes themselves was outstanding, but specifically their first episodes.

Kokkoku: While the rest of the series certainly didn’t live up to the standard set by this first episode, It was super fulfilling and interesting as a single watch, making the viewer crave answers to the mysteries it effortlessly laid out.

High School of the Dead: Arguably the inspiration for this list, HSotD’s first episode might be the single most gripping and well produced first episode of anime I can think of. Zombie pandemics have been pretty played out, but this series, I would argue, got the pandemonium of the initial outbreak perfect with a satisfying ending all within the first episode. Basically perfect.

Psycho Pass (season 1): Its like the entire first episode was beating against my head that anime can be thoughtful and appeal to regular adults, too. Gritty, clever, excellently paced, and with a twist that makes the audience crave more exploration of the cyberpunk setting.

Attack on Titan (season 1): I must have watched this first episode alone at least 10 times. It’s striking in a new way every time I experience its grimdark fantasy setting and beautiful production.

Cowboy Bebop: I feel like I'm cheating, as half of the episodes in Bebop could have served as the first episode, but 'Asteroid Blues' really gets work done. Introducing characters, world building, action, drama; it really pretty much has it all in a single episode, and sealed my desire to finish the entire series when I first saw it all those years ago.

Some near includes are the highly ranked Full metal Alchemist; Brotherhood and Death Note. FMA has a few small tone shifts I didn’t appreciate in its otherwise stellar first episode, and Death Note’s first episode, while brilliant, only feels so in the context of watching episode 2 immediately afterwards.

What are your picks?