Thread: Farewell, My Dear Cramer: Sayonara Watashi no Cramer

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Farewell, My Dear Cramer: Sayonara Watashi no Cramer

Farewell, My Dear Cramer: Sayonara Watashi no Cramer

A girl's soccer sports series with a fairly huge cast! Follows a number of girls as they leave their middle school teams and come together at a second rate (for girls soccer) high school that happens to the be alma mater of one of Japan's most famous women's soccer players. Some of them used to play on boys teams, some were the district star, some the only decent player on their school's team, largely left to obscurity and isolation because the others couldn't keep up.

--------------

I've been in the mood for a sports series that wasn't fujoshi bait or a Prince of Tennis reskin. This might be it. It might be a little bit more focused on the sports part than say, the infamous Hanebado drama fest, but I'm not sure it will live up to the peak that is Cross Game's perfect blend of sports and coming of age.

But the first episode was promising. The girls have character, none of them feel like background despite the huge cast, they seem to actually put in time to develop the rival teams right from the outset, and it's funny when it should be. There's growth potential and improvement laid out for the primary three already which is also a good start.

There's a nice balance in the animation too. It's not a series where they're going full out on the action, they're using it conservatively like well orchestrated manga panels with some movement to them. You can always tell what's going on, and it is done in a way that doesn't feel like still frames, and can probably keep up this level of quality the whole time.

Bonus points for actually opening with the completely true and painfully obvious statement that nobody gives a shit about girl's soccer, and they actually roll that into one of the lead's backgrounds.

edit: Probably should have mentioned this is from the Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso mangaka. Some people care about that sort of thing.
    Last edited by Munsu; Sun, 04-04-2021 at 03:10 PM.