261891.jpg

* Based on a drama shoujo manga by Saiki Kumiko.

Like the Takarazuka Revue, the young women who go to the arts academy Kouka Kageki High School play all the parts of musical theater, be they female or male. Narata Ai is a jaded former idol performing female roles—her roommate, playing male roles, is bright-eyed country girl Watanabe Sarasa. From the school to the stage to the rest of their lives, there is no challenge these young women can't face with their passion for performance.

Source: Seven Seas

Genre(s): Shoujo, Arts

What makes this interesting is that, two episodes in, I still don't know what it is supposed to be about, but I'm not bored. Let me step back, this is obviously going to be about the two main lead's journey to becoming top stars at this traditional(?) performance arts school, but the route there is completely obfuscated, and that leaves the focus to the other characters, who have been very fun to watch so far. There are a wide range of personalities, from the thorny rose to a gentile lilac, this flower garden's metaphor of mine is barely forced.

Something about the production and the way characters carry themselves give a life and energy that I can subsist on. Give it a try.