269903.jpg

"After saving the world, the strongest hero Leo became someone who is not wanted in the peaceful human world. He was too strong. Exiled, he seeks a job at the Demon King's Army, which he had defeated and needs to be rebuilt. The Army had many problems: too much work, financial troubles, etc. Leo starts to make things better using his power. Leo encounters Echidna again, and asks her why she invaded the human world. There was an unexpected story...!

Source: Kadokawa"

Genre(s): Fantasy

1-3

Out of all the swords and sorcery mush this season, this is the best, or least bad, depending on your preference. Hero beats the big bad, and humanity turns on him, because reasons... So he interviews for a place in the Maou's army to some comedic effect. This is a member of the growing sub-genre of 'medevil fantasy organizational problem solving' along the likes of Realist hero, Slime Isekai, and others, but minus the isekai. When you have it all in specs, what is left to challenge you? HR, of course! At least the storylines so far feature some rudimentary strategizing to bring forth some efficiencies to the all but destroyed demon army.

A few things that make this better than I expected: MC is a jerk, and owns that fact for some good jokes. The humor around his gall in seeking employment at the place he destroyed hit home for me. Secondly, Leo isn't perfect, as he is capable of underestimating at least one of the generals he is trialing under, so there is some room for creative diversions from his plans; makes things less predictable. Lastly, the supporting characters do get fleshed out enough that this isn't a one man show and I certainly appreciate some of that breadth in the storytelling. The power fantasy elements are downplayed enough to get my tentative approval. It won't rock your world, but I'd recommend an episode or two.