Thread: Codecs and Players

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Codecs and Players

If you have playback issues here is a little thread with codecs and such to make sure you have these before asking for problems.

Lots of people seem to be having playback issues so I thought I would create this thread so that they may come here and make sure they have the codecs needed to play the files. I also put up some players that are common or are well liked by the community.

If there are some other codecs and/or players or other good utilities that are missing (and there is, I know, this is like a starter guide) and would like them up,just reply and I will add them to this post. If some of the links don't work also reply and say something.

It might be a good idea for some of you people that don't know, to read the following, it might help you out. First off uninstall all of the codecs that are currently on your machine, get all the codecs here and install them, reboot and there you have it. Also, you can go the alternative way and install the CCCP which is a codec pack, and has many items inside of it. It would be best not to install the individual codecs then install the CCCP, as this will cause conflicts and irritation.

Now, for people who have codecs installed and can't figure out why they can't seem to play a certain video file, than GSpot is the little utility for you it will check to see what codecs are needed to play the file, and then you can come here and download it, and if it isn't here you can say what one you need and find me a link if you can and it will be added for other people.

Combined Community Codec Pack:

CCCP - Only codec pack worth mentioning, if you have problems with the lower half, try uninstalling all video and audio codecs, then install this.

Codecs and stuff:

Virtual Dub
    DivX
    XviD Binary - Binary (.exe) For the Source XviD.org
    FFDShow - Get the .exe, get the source if you know how to compile it.
    AC3 Filter - Get the .exe, get the source if you know how to compile it.
    MP3
    Vobsub 2.23 - Direct Link
    OggDs - This is a codec used to play OGM files along with VobSub.
    on2 VP6 Decoder
    .mkv - Get the codec needed to play .mkv files here.

Players:

VLC Player - Nice player, as you don't need codecs.
    Core Media Player
    Media Player Classic
    View Cast Player
    BSPlayer - This is the player that I use.

Other

GSpot - Checks to see what codecs are needed.
    AFreeCodecVT - Like GSpot.
    Last edited by kAi; Tue, 03-28-2006 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Updated links!