Page 88 of 89 FirstFirst ... 3878848586878889 LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,760 of 1776

Thread: What made you smile today?

Isn't the adage to invest wisely and not fuss over it for a while?

When you move stuff you lose more.

Yeah, the majority of my gains are in retirement accounts I can't withdrawal from for a long time anyway, but still nice to see, regardless
    10/4/04 - 8/20/07

While it's always nice to see your net worth go up, it's a bit foolhardy to count retirement account fluctuations toward your current financial situation, especially if those accounts are invested in the broad market where they will increase and decrease in value at the whim of the stock market. If you touch that money now, the penalty will more than offset any gains, as I'm sure you know.

Visa stock recently split 1 for 4.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Of course, but as far as liquid or near-liquid assets go, I have enough to last 5 years or so at my current burn rate provided I have zero income whatsoever. I'm not too concerned about that.

My biggest gainers are:
    UNH (bought in 2008 and 2009)
    AAPL (bought in 2008 and 2013)
    IPGP (bought in 2009. This one is up 720% for me. Too bad I didn't put a lot of money into it.)
    10/4/04 - 8/20/07

Do you count typical stocks as near liquid? I tend not to since I see those investments as long term and to be sold only if necessary to stay solvent.

I lived that way when I went back to college, looking at how long I could support myself while making little to no money and living off savings. It sucks watching your savings dwindle.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

These have been good years to be in the stock markets. I was affraid that the excess liquidity and various QE wouldnt last forever so I didnt commit to it and now I regret it.
    The path of excess leads to the tower of wisdom

True, hindsight is 20/20 though. There was too much perceived volatility in the markets and people were more cautious with their money. If you took the risk, you got rewarded, but it was quite a risk given the economic climate. Most of my investments were made in the years before the recession and they are blossoming now, but all unrealized.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQ39fImCKz8

It´s like finally a developer took a look inside my brain and then turned it into a real game. Just fantastic. The most ambitious game that´s currently announced. Lol@Witcher 3.

"She's the only non-loli girl in the show, your honor!" will be my defense in court

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Too bad it's on Wii U (which I don't have). Sawano Hiroyuki works his magic again.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian View Post
    Too bad it's on Wii U (which I don't have). Sawano Hiroyuki works his magic again.
    Do you not think the game (and others on the platform) is worth the cost of a Wii U? In the grand scheme of things, the cost of the console won't hurt your finances and you'll get to play some awesome games.

Don't mind me though. I plan to get the Xbox One so I can play Halo 5 and Rise of the Tomb Raider. I'm trying to justify also getting a PS4 when Uncharted 4 comes out. I think the cost of the two consoles will be worth it to enjoy these 3 games and others in the next few years. I skrimp and save so much but really for what? Might as well enjoy some of it instead of saving it all. You can't take it with you after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Animeniax View Post
    Do you not think the game (and others on the platform) is worth the cost of a Wii U? In the grand scheme of things, the cost of the console won't hurt your finances and you'll get to play some awesome games.
    More like "I'd give this game a go if it was on a platform I already own". I'm not exactly all over this game and I also don't know anything about other games on this platform. I rarely branch out from PC gaming anyway. I let my brother own all the other platforms but I'm living away from him at the moment. A few years ago I invested in a PS3 and many games. It was fun, but I wouldn't call it a smart move given how I never played some of those games.

I'll think like you when I earn some real money.

---------------------------------

My graphics card broke the other day (crashes in game. GPU-Z tells me it's using 130% TDP). I upgraded to a GTX970 card and it arrived today. It's great.

Feels like a mix of TERA and Monster Hunter. Not ringing any bell for me.
    The path of excess leads to the tower of wisdom

It´s a massive jrpg with successful wrpg infusions. Focus on exploration, sense of wonder and awe, all set in a world that has mankind at the brink of extinction. Perfectly underlined by Sawano´s music.

In terms of gameplay, it´s like a more interactive evolution of Xenoblade Chronicle for Wii, reaching a whole new level of epicness when introducing Dolls/mechs to the equation.

Really, this game appears to be what I once began playing videogames for. The sheer beauty of a rich, fantastical unknown world. And rest assured, it is neither a grindfest like TERA, nor a mission-based multiplayer game like MonHun.

"She's the only non-loli girl in the show, your honor!" will be my defense in court

People don't give SNL enough love these days, but they still have a lot of hilarious skits. In the latest episode, they introduced an 8th kingdom of Westeros... South Centros.

So I know I really have not been around much but I just noticed that registration is open again. When did this happen?
    Dreaming impossible dreams.
    Sapphire is awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Abdula View Post
    So I know I really have not been around much but I just noticed that registration is open again. When did this happen?
    No more than 3 months ago.

-----------------------------------

edit: Now that I have this, my life is a little more complete.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian View Post
    edit: Now that I have this, my life is a little more complete.

Awesome. I tend to want to clear space on the bed, and I have a queen size. That twin you're on will get awfully crowded with that monster on it.

How is that GTX970 working out for you? Can you say if it's worth the additional cost over a 960?

The default config GTX960 has only 2GB vram right? The 970 is worth it for the 4GB (3.5+0.5) vram alone. The GTX970 is pretty nice. There's the coil whine that some people complain about and I can hear it particularly when it ramps up. However, I don't care about noise when the graphics card is working, and the idle noise of the Asus Strix brand is very acceptable. I'm known to have a low tolerance for idle noise.

Still, don't expect to play GTA 5 "maxxed out" on a 1920x1080 monitor. Next year's achitecture promises to show great leaps in performance (in Deep Learning, so who knows what that means for games). Given my previous graphics card broke, 2016 was just too far away.

I've moved the big mofo onto the floor for now (still in the wrap). I don't plan on unwrapping him at least until later on this year once accommodations seem somewhat steady. That said I almost never clear bed space. As annoying as it is, I find myself moving things back and forth between me bed or my chair whenever I want to use the other.

The GTX960 with 4GB vram is about $30-40 more than the 2GB version. The 4GB GTX970 is about $70-80 more than the 4GB GTX960. I guess I'll wait until the next gen architecture comes out since there aren't any games I really want to play that my 770 can't handle.

Awesome user with default custom title UChessmaster's Avatar

Hello U.S.A, I missed you.
    You cannot hope to build a better world without improving the individuals. To that end each of us must work for his own improvement, and at the same time share a general responsibility for all humanity, our particular duty being to aid those to whom we think we can be most useful. -Marie Curie